The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 17, 2000, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Need help with this one...2 man crew, I am in Trail opposite table; partner in lead table-side. Ball is fumbled and rolls loose from my side beyond 3 pt line and rolls OOB on the baseline, my side. Partner looks for help - I had the call - I signal ball goes to Blue (offensive team) stays in frontcourt. Before I can get in position tableside, partner mistakenly hands ball to White and they make baseball pass length of court and score EZ lay-up. I blow the whistle and advise table to score basket (I'm 99% sure this is right - non-correctable error) We inbound the ball to blue in their front court where the original OOB spot was. Should we have inbounded the ball under Whites basket and allowed them to run the end line, or were we correct?
Old Fri Nov 17, 2000, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Yes and No. No you should not have inbounded in the front court. However, you are right, it is not correctable, so Blue should have taken the ball out under whites basket as you would in any other made basket situation. Good call to count the bucket.
Old Fri Nov 17, 2000, 01:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation Communication

This first started off as a communication problem. You partner should have waited until you were in position and you had made eye contact with them. This is where eye contact can avoid most correctible error situations.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2000, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

I don't see how you can count the basket. The ball belonged to blue on the baseline, spot throw-in. Just because white thought the ball belonged to them does not mean it does and they can score. Cancel the basket, bring the ball back to the baseline for a spot throw-in. Maybe I missed something. But the correctable rule section 2-10 starts off "Officials may correct an error if a rule is inadvertently set aside". Then section 2-10-1e says "Erroneously counting or canceling a score." That appears to be the case. White was not intitled to score but they did. So you correct the play. I have had the wrong team score before and cancelled the basket, it usually happens in JHS games.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2000, 06:30pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs down Oops.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Baldwin
I don't see how you can count the basket. The ball belonged to blue on the baseline, spot throw-in. Just because white thought the ball belonged to them does not mean it does and they can score. Cancel the basket, bring the ball back to the baseline for a spot throw-in. Maybe I missed something. But the correctable rule section 2-10 starts off "Officials may correct an error if a rule is inadvertently set aside". Then section 2-10-1e says "Erroneously counting or canceling a score." That appears to be the case. White was not intitled to score but they did. So you correct the play. I have had the wrong team score before and cancelled the basket, it usually happens in JHS games.
Jerry,
Check out Case Book 7.5.2B
mick
Old Mon Nov 20, 2000, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Communication

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
This first started off as a communication problem. You partner should have waited until you were in position and you had made eye contact with them. This is where eye contact can avoid most correctible error situations.
Yeah, eye contact is very important on throw-ins but this
case is *not* a correctable error. It's just a referee
f*** up.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2000, 01:55pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
You are absolutely correct Mick - this is not a correctable error. By rule you cannot correct it anytime after you have granted the throw-in to the incorrect team.

Best way to handle it: Do a "mea culpa" with the coach that is seriously ticked off at you!
Old Tue Nov 21, 2000, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Bradley,
A What with the coach?
Old Tue Nov 21, 2000, 02:18pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb mea culpa

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
Bradley,
A What with the coach?
Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

My fault, my most grievous fault.
mick
Old Wed Nov 22, 2000, 09:50am

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
meĀ·a culĀ·pa n. An acknowledgment of a personal error or fault.
Old Wed Nov 22, 2000, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bradley Batt
You are absolutely correct Mick - this is not a correctable error. By rule you cannot correct it anytime after you have granted the throw-in to the incorrect team.
It can be corrected until the ball is touched inbounds on the erroneous throw-in. If you blow the whistle prior to that point, the only rule you have is the one that caused the ball to be dead the first time. That allows you to some time to correct it. (See case 6.3.1D for a similar situation)
Old Wed Nov 22, 2000, 01:56pm
In Memoriam

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
It can be corrected until the ball is touched inbounds on the erroneous throw-in. If you blow the whistle prior to that point, the only rule you have is the one that caused the ball to be dead the first time. That allows you to some time to correct it. (See case 6.3.1D for a similar situation) [/B]
Camron,
I think the thread was talking about the play after the wrong team threw the ball in and not an "Oops, gimmee back that ball."
mick
Old Wed Nov 22, 2000, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Had a similar situation occur in a JV game. Inbounding Team A was late getting out after a TO, so I put the ball on the floor and began the count. A confused defensive player, assuming the ball was up for grabs, darted out of bounds, picked up the ball, and tossed it to a teammate in one fell swoop.

I was too startled to react immediately, but finally blew the whistle stopping play before Team B scored and awarded the ball to Team A (again).

Case 7.5.2B seems pretty clear in showing what I did to be in error. Needless to say, I'll be more protective of the ball in the future.

Sven
Old Wed Nov 22, 2000, 03:30pm
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Sven
Had a similar situation occur in a JV game. Inbounding Team A was late getting out after a TO, so I put the ball on the floor and began the count. A confused defensive player, assuming the ball was up for grabs, darted out of bounds, picked up the ball, and tossed it to a teammate in one fell swoop.

I was too startled to react immediately, but finally blew the whistle stopping play before Team B scored and awarded the ball to Team A (again).

Case 7.5.2B seems pretty clear in showing what I did to be in error. Needless to say, I'll be more protective of the ball in the future.

Sven
Sven,
Did you also "Warn" defense for breaking the plane,
per Rule 7-6-3 ?

mick
Old Wed Nov 22, 2000, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Sven, i think Mick gives you an out on this one. Just call violation on the def., official warning and play on.