The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 30, 2000, 12:24am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Try this one:

A tips the ball OOB at teh jump ball to start the game. Before the R hands that ball to a B player, a TO is called. Upon returning from the TO, tem B takes too long in the huddle. R eventually places the ball on the floor. B1 runs over to prevent the 5-second violation and curses the R. B1 is charged with a technical foul.

Federation ruling?
Old Thu Nov 30, 2000, 02:45am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Try this one:

A tips the ball OOB at teh jump ball to start the game. Before the R hands that ball to a B player, a TO is called. Upon returning from the TO, tem B takes too long in the huddle. R eventually places the ball on the floor. B1 runs over to prevent the 5-second violation and curses the R. B1 is charged with a technical foul.

Federation ruling?
The throw in by B is not an AP throwin, but is the result of the violation on the jump by A. The arrow is set for A when the ball becomes at the disposal of B (when the official places the ball on the floor).

You then administer the technical in the normal manner with A having the resultant throwin due to the technical. The arrow does not change after this throwin is completed, since it is not an AP throwin either.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2000, 07:41am

Kinda easy eh?

It's an interesting situtation in that A gets the arrow, 2 shots, and the ball.

..Mike
Old Thu Nov 30, 2000, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Just so i understand. In this play, the arrow changes upon the putting the ball on the floor. So, during the game, we have a jump ball, ap arrow shows team A. Team A takes too long and you put the ball on the floor. When does the arrow change?
Old Thu Nov 30, 2000, 10:57am

Umm, almost. The arrow doesn't *change* because it hasn't been set yet. Placing the ball on the floor (for B) *sets* the arrow. The fact that a TO was called is important because it allows us to use the resuming of play procedure, thereby placing the ball at the disposal of team B (on the floor), thereby setting the arrow for team A.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but if during the game we have a held ball, and we're going with the arrow showing A, and A takes too long, I believe it's a warning for delay of game. The reason it is not a warning in my example, is because we're using the resuming of play procedure.

But, during the game and using the arrow, the arrow changes when the throw-in is completed. A throw-in is completed when an inbounds player legally touches the ball, or the throw-in team commits a violation.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2000, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but if during the game we have a held ball, and we're going with the arrow showing A, and A takes too long, I believe it's a warning for delay of game. The reason it is not a warning in my example, is because we're using the resuming of play procedure.
Okay -- consider yourself corrected.

This is not one of the three "delay" warnings -- see 4-46.

If it's not after a TO and A takes too long, you can (and I recommend this only in extreme circumstances!) call a team T under 10-1-5b
Old Thu Nov 30, 2000, 03:23pm

Thanks!

I figured that I was wrong, but I do not ever remember reading 4-46 before. I plainly must have forgotten about it.

So then if A takes too long, then what do you do? Do you put the ball on the floor? If so, and 5 seconds goes by, then what?
Old Thu Nov 30, 2000, 04:11pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
So then if A takes too long, then what do you do? Do you put the ball on the floor? If so, and 5 seconds goes by, then what?

The proper procedure is to blow your whistle (to get their attention), then put the ball on the floor, step back and start counting. Also, realize that your goal is NOT to get to 5 as quickly as possible, but to get the team to get out there and make the throw-in. For that reason, don't be too quick on the count!

If you get to 5, it is a throw-in violation on Team A and the ball is awarded to Team B at the same spot.