The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Having been around the rec league for a couple weeks now, I've seen several of my constituants work. I myself have done two outings of 3 games and 2 games for a total of five. I'm also a helper dad/unofficial assistant coach for my son's team. In that capacity, during his games I've either been the scorekeeper or have run the clock. This has given me the opportunity to observe other officials that I work with or know of, do their thing.

What I have discovered is that these other officials have been offered comparibly more work than I. I've made myself available to work any night of the week with my assignor.

What I can say to my assignor to get more games?

Or, how should I go about asking him without putting myself in disfavor?

I enjoy being a referee and want more games.

Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Cyber,

Could be the other guys have been around longer?
The assignor knows them better?
Knows them to be reliable? (not saying you're not, just they are)
Has a good working relationship with them?

Give it time, keep letting him know you're open for more games, when they come up take them.

BTW, is there another assignor in your area you could take games from?
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 01:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

You have to make yourself even more available. With email, fax and sometimes phone call, you can almost all the time let it be known when you can work. You can also go to local association meetings more often or attend social functions more. Honestly, getting games is usually about being in the right place at the right time. And when you are asked, do not turn them down unless you really are not availible. I can speak for myself, I call people that I know will do the games if available, even when asked by someone else to cover games. Imagine what an assignor goes thru and he or she has hundreds of games to fill.

The more high maintanence you are, the less likely you will get called (I cannot work here, I cannot work on that night, I cannot work at that time). At least until you get a reputation and have made a name for yourself.

None of this necessarily has to apply to you, but just giving you suggestions to help you out.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyber-Ref
Having been around the rec league for a couple weeks now, I've seen several of my constituants work. I myself have done two outings of 3 games and 2 games for a total of five. I'm also a helper dad/unofficial assistant coach for my son's team. In that capacity, during his games I've either been the scorekeeper or have run the clock. This has given me the opportunity to observe other officials that I work with or know of, do their thing.

What I have discovered is that these other officials have been offered comparibly more work than I. I've made myself available to work any night of the week with my assignor.

What I can say to my assignor to get more games?

Or, how should I go about asking him without putting myself in disfavor?

I enjoy being a referee and want more games.

Basically, your not going to take games away from established officials. If they've been doing 6 games a week for several years, the assignor is not going to cut games from their schedule to fill up a new guy's schedule.

Just let him know that if he needs anyone that he can call you (and be clear about when you are at work and if you can or can not leave work to take a game)...and accept whatever he offers when he does call.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

A few things I've learned about assigners

Assignments are the easy part of assigning, and new guys don't get a lot of them. The more difficult part of an assigner's job is dealing with assignments that are turned back. New guys can get a lot of these. If you are in frequent contact with the assigner, you stand a better chance of being in the right place when he/she has an assignment to fill. I tell my assigners that they can expect that I'll be bugging them often, and if it gets to be a problem, to let me know. I also keep my bag in the car whenever I'm available to work, just in case I pick up a game. When the opportunity arises, take anything that's offered. When assigners start calling around, they start with the people who have told them yes in the past. Be that person.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

If you can find an experienced official to work with and who will speak up for you, then he can be a huge asset in helping you get more games.

Also, if you're called to fill-in, go! No matter what you had planned, go! If you don't go, he won't call you back.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I'll be more persistent and make it a point to communicate with my assignor often.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
This was my battel and what ppl are saying is right. I've made a name for myself by picking up SEVERAL last minute cancelations and what not. Also tell your assignor if your working for 2 assignors. Our assc has 4 regions and 4 assignors PLUS the 1 varsity assignor. We also have 700+ officials and 30,000+ games this season. And the number of officials is already dropping. So new guys in the chapter like me get more games as the season goes along. Also, attend meetings findo ut who your schedulers are and TALK TO THEM if they're not busy. Now I work for two assignors. And the 2nd half of the season one was kind of offended because the other one got a hold of me first to schedule me. I also tried for 3 weeks to get ahold of my main scheduler, gave up and scheduled with the other one. See - so i've probably black listed myself a little bit on that one. Everyone has great advice and thats what I've been doing. Also call your assignor evermorning at 8:30. Usually by that time he's got some cancelations. And then start calling after 1 or so. cuz he'll be in desperate need if someone cancels between 8:30and 11.And tell him he can depend on you on what nights and what dates if he needs a filler.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 10:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question

ace,

Why is working for 2 assignors such an issue?

Peace

Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
Also call your assignor evermorning at 8:30. Usually by that time he's got some cancelations. And then start calling after 1 or so. cuz he'll be in desperate need if someone cancels between 8:30and 11.
I would advise against this. Letting him know you're available is one thing. Pestering him by calling, even once everyday is too much IMHO.

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
I don't think it's an issue as much as it is a courtesy. I work mainly for one supervisor. But if I book a game with a secondary supervisor, I call and close out with the primary as a courtesy. I would rather he not call me with an opening because I'm closed out, rather than calling me and me having to turn him down.

At least, that's why I do it.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 11:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Is this a regional thing?

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

I don't think it's an issue as much as it is a courtesy. I work mainly for one supervisor. But if I book a game with a secondary supervisor, I call and close out with the primary as a courtesy. I would rather he not call me with an opening because I'm closed out, rather than calling me and me having to turn him down.

At least, that's why I do it.
I realize this is a regional difference, but would not an availability sheet cover this? Is there not a way to list what dates you are just not availible? I work for more than 2 assignors and the only issue with them is giving them your availability. They could care less who you work for. You might not be available for personal reasons, not whether you are working with someone else.

I was just curious, because I have heard guys say this before and wanted to understand why this was an issue.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rob.wilson
Availability is the key, if you can do 5:30 games, then you will get a bunch. I am a first year official and I had 7 games this month and 3 were added on to brind the total to 10. For January, I already have 13 games. I was also given a Varsity Game. I guess you must show interest. Not saying you arent, but just be patient.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

If you have a pager or your company allows you to use your compnay pager (provided you have that) tell your assignor that you are avalable by pager for emergencies. My assignor likes that and has paged me a couple of times knowing I will call him right back and can be reached easily that way. Just another idea.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Re: Is this a regional thing?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I realize this is a regional difference, but would not an availability sheet cover this?
I fill out a closeout sheet with the primary booking agent before the season starts. He assigns games in 2-3 week intervals. After I receive these assignments, the secondary booking agent calls me with his games. Then I call the primary agent back and closeout the new dates.

Keeps everybody happy.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I wish I knew. But my assignor thinks he "owns" me for the high school season. He certainly gives me a full schedule, but if I have an opening and try to back fill it with another assignor, he is not happy. He believes I am available on any day when he has not assigned me. And if a game is cancelled well in advance, he is especially sure I am available, since I had already committed to him.

When I questioned him about this, he was quite blunt: if I want a lot of games, I had better be available. If I am not available, he said he would not have many games for me. This guy simply does not like to make two phone calls.