The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Becoming less dominant? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11252-becoming-less-dominant.html)

TPS2859 Wed Dec 17, 2003 04:37pm

wheres the love? can't we all just get along!
I agree with you clay, thats why i have not posted alot of questions or comments.

CLAY Wed Dec 17, 2003 04:38pm

rainmaker,

Thank you for the advice, I dont know Dan or Rutedge, but have seen several of their post.

So you think I have a tendency to get carried away?
Just like the others I have opened my self to some criticism. So be nice, if you reply.

CLAY Wed Dec 17, 2003 04:42pm

Jurassic Referee,

Thank you for your reply,I will leave as we agree to disagree.

ace Wed Dec 17, 2003 06:06pm

Clay I love how you read my personailty by my post, considering you've never shook my hand or worked a game with me. I do admire your perception of people via the words they type on thier computer.

Now while I feel I must defend myself. I did say in a post last night that I WANT the double the whistle. or that I want the toss does not mean I always take it, or always give it or whatever. Do I buddy up with my partners? Oh hell yes all the time! Last night we had a rather flagrant push. I had the flagrant T partner had the intentional foul. Before anyone made any signal i called his name. We settled the players down kept them in veiw and discussed what each other saw. I saw B1 leave his postion on the high post and run up and push A1 so hard that he ran a row or two up in the stands. I deemed this more than just intentional. My parter saw B1 push A1 hard enough. After a breif 20 second discussion we said intentional foul and ejected the player for unsportsmanlike conduct. It was not during a dead ball so it was really hard to label a fight. Theres not a game that I've called in the 4 years that i've been doing this at any level where I havnt made the eye contact on double whistle and waited for the give or take from the partner. Ok - so there were a few times where the player cam truding down the lane and B2 took a step at the last second thus making it a block instead of a charge where I've come from lead with the signal. We all do it. I doubt your the perfect official/person to work with. I'd like to work a game with you if we ever got the chance. Theres not a signle person on this board I wouldnt call with. Hawks Coach... get your whistle and lets go! :-D . Clay - I think you took my words to literal. I want but dont always get and thats ok. Basketball is my humbling block. My entire life I've been told I exhibit the signs of a leader. You cant always be number 1 in basketball and I was simply asking my comrades... my fellow officials for some advice on how to help me hold my whistles. I always offer the toss to my co-official. They usually give it up to me. I DO strongly believe in coverage areas and always pregame that you have your area and I have mine. I'ma stick to mine unless theres alot of action and I might need to move over. My partner called a block right infront of me last night. The contact was minimal so i was going to let it go. It didnt hender the offensive players movements in anyway. He blew it from lead. Coach didnt like it one bit. I like to try to keep the coaches happy. (meaning not make calls from stupid postions and odd angles) They'll never be happy with OUR judgement. I asked for advice, maybe some critiscim. I didnt asked to be thrown in to the fire pit.

Have a good season CLAY and toss 'em straight.

Julie- If you get the chance drop me an email off the board please.

JA

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 17, 2003 06:37pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ace
Last night we had a rather flagrant push. I had the flagrant T partner had the intentional foul. Before anyone made any signal i called his name. We settled the players down kept them in veiw and discussed what each other saw. I saw B1 leave his postion on the high post and run up and push A1 so hard that he ran a row or two up in the stands. I deemed this more than just intentional. My parter saw B1 push A1 hard enough. After a breif 20 second discussion we said intentional foul and ejected the player for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Can't be a flagrant T because it's contact during a live ball. Also, by definition, it can't an intentional foul if you ejected the player. With the ejection,the only foul that you can have is a flagrant personal foul.

ace Wed Dec 17, 2003 09:19pm

At the time the rule reference was a blank. Had the incident not happened I woulda been able to tell you that. The rule book was the first thing I pulled out when we got back to the locker room.

davidw Thu Dec 18, 2003 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ace
Basketball is my humbling block.

Quote:

Originally posted by ace
At the time the rule reference was a blank. Had the incident not happened I woulda been able to tell you that. The rule book was the first thing I pulled out when we got back to the locker room.
This must be one of those 'humbling block'moments, huh, ace? We all have them. That's one of the great things about this forum; we get to learn from each others'successes and failures. Thanks for sharing.