The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Becoming less dominant? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11252-becoming-less-dominant.html)

rainmaker Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
...since I'm feeling perfectly affable this fine morning.
I'm guessing that someone got home safe and sound last evening right after dinner, and someone else had an early bedtime!

ChuckElias Tue Dec 16, 2003 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
I'm guessing that someone got home safe and sound last evening right after dinner, and someone else had an early bedtime!
No early bedtime; but yes, everybody's home safely :D

ace Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:33am

Double whistles arent THAT common... when we do have them its usually coming from my area and its a big play or its coming to my area and its a big play. Or if it was just soo obvious on a shot or something. Now, The only reason i havnt replied sooner is i was working in a distant land tonight(or so it felt like it) and Its also finals time of the year.

About being R... I usually tell my partner to take it because in our area R is responsible for paperwork in the arise of a problem so yeah LOL. But deep inside i want to tosss.. ( i should have clarified)
Arrogance? yeah I have alot of that and I'm working really hard on getting rid of that (ok atleast 1/3 of it).

I appreciate all the comments i've gotten so far from you've guys. Asking for help is a hard thing for me. thats why the ppl closest to me have a hard time believe i cough out money to goto camps to get critiqued LOL. But i have my asperations and goals and I'll do what it takes to get there (within reason). I had two really good games tonight though. Partner came out of his area on 2 calls - We talked about it at half time ... It was a pretty rough two games but we set the pace and flow and the players adatped well. Coaches realized we werent taking anything from them and stuck to the players and stayed off of our backs.

Everyone I work with seems to mind the things I think are problems.. because I called my scheduler today for jan and febuary and there were a few people who said they had wanted to work with me again but someone else already picked up those games.

But about tonights games: While I thought the big rivalry game (before the varsity game) a few weeks ago was a good game. Tonights 2 were probably my best yet. My supervisor/assignor for that area said thats the best 2nd half (of the game he was watching) he's ever seen me call and he makes quite a few of the games im working if hes not already out there with me.

JA

CLAY Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:29am

ACE,

I have worked with officals like you, and would say that your ego gets in your way of officiating. I have certian officials I will not work with. And you seem to fit that catagory.

Ridgeben Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:40am

benefiity????

CLAY Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:45am

Quote:

Originally posted by Ridgeben
benefiity????

What is right is not always popular, and what is popular is not always right.

davidw Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:55am

Quote:

Originally posted by ace

it was a pretty rough two games but we set the pace and flow and the players adatped well.
[/B]
I thought the players set the pace and flow, since the game is about THEM. And we worked with them to get that flow going and only stepped in when necessary--when they're not heeding the warnings etc.

Quote:

Originally posted by ace
Everyone I work with seems to mind the things I think are problems..
[/B]
Do you ever "mind the things that your partners think are problems"?

[Edited by davidw on Dec 17th, 2003 at 09:57 AM]

rainmaker Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:44am

Quote:

Originally posted by CLAY
ACE,

I have worked with officals like you, and would say that your ego gets in your way of officiating. I have certian officials I will not work with. And you seem to fit that catagory.

Clay -- I suspect that you're missing out on a good thing. Ace is a ref who knows his shortcomings and is working to make them less of a problem. That's someone to emulate, not avoid!

ChuckElias Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:44am

Quote:

Originally posted by Ridgeben
benefiity????

You lost me, Ben :confused:

ChuckElias Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:49am

Quote:

Originally posted by davidw
I thought the players set the pace and flow, since the game is about THEM. And we worked with them to get that flow going and only stepped in when necessary--when they're not heeding the warnings etc.
That's the kind of game that we all like. It's nice when we can do that. But we can't always. There will be games where you will (should) know ahead of time that you will need to rein in the players. In those cases, you go out and let your first 2 or 3 calls make a statement. You grab a quick handcheck on each end; or you grab the first screen that's not quite set. Those calls should tell the players that whatever crap they pulled last night is not going to fly here.

davidw Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:56am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by davidw
That's the kind of game that we all like. It's nice when we can do that. But we can't always. There will be games where you will (should) know ahead of time that you will need to rein in the players. In those cases, you go out and let your first 2 or 3 calls make a statement. You grab a quick handcheck on each end; or you grab the first screen that's not quite set. Those calls should tell the players that whatever crap they pulled last night is not going to fly here.

Agree 100%. I was only attempting to clarify the difference and was refering to these types of situations when I said: "...when necessary--" You did a good job Chuck, of giving a very good specific example of this. Thanks.

Ridgeben Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:07pm

Chuck,
I was just messing around with the original post of this thread. I have no clue what benefiity means..

CLAY Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:13pm

Rainmaker,

Ace asked a question, he opened himself up to criticism. I told him, he is not the type of an offical I would not like to work with.
Could you work with this type of offical? One who is always right, always wants to be the "R", double whistle no discusson it's his call. He seems to be an "A" type personality. I have worked with his type before. And when I did I could not get out of the gym fast enough. An official is to be open minded, working with this type of official could hang you out to dry and never think twice about it.

P.S
What is great about this fourm is opinions, and that is what I gave Ace. He asked.

Remember when officiating basketball: What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular

Good hearing from you Rainmaker.

WinterWillie Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

You guys can't be talking about me, however, since I'm feeling perfectly affable this fine morning.

[/B]
Yup, you look like you're in a good mood.

http://www.uselessgraphics.com/140.gif [/B][/QUOTE]

If you are between games and looking for entertainment, go to this url:

Turn up your sound.

http://svt.se/hogafflahage/hogafflaH...r/hestekor.swf

Wait for the entire screen to load up with all 4 horses & a fence in
front
of them --

Then, click on each horse.

Re-click on any horse to make it turn off, or turn it back on again.

rainmaker Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally posted by CLAY
Ace asked a question, he opened himself up to criticism.

Right, and he opened himself up to the possibility of being a better official. That's not a bad thing.

Quote:

Could you work with this type of offical? One who is always right, always wants to be the "R", double whistle no discusson it's his call.
What I'm saying is, he's NOT "that type of guy." He feels like he is, but he's trying to do something about it. The guy you don't want to work with is the one who thinks it's your problem, not his, and he doesn't need to improve. I don't want to work with that kind of guy either. But Ace is working on it, and thus not as arrogant as one might suspect.

Also notice that he's talking about his feelings. They spill over into his actions sometimes, but perhaps not in every situation. If I have the choice, I'll take him any day, and help him find a way to put all that cocky attitude to good use.