The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Becoming less dominant? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11252-becoming-less-dominant.html)

davidw Wed Dec 17, 2003 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Originally posted by CLAY
Ace asked a question, he opened himself up to criticism.

Right, and he opened himself up to the possibility of being a better official. That's not a bad thing.

Quote:

Could you work with this type of offical? One who is always right, always wants to be the "R", double whistle no discusson it's his call.
What I'm saying is, he's NOT "that type of guy." He feels like he is, but he's trying to do something about it. The guy you don't want to work with is the one who thinks it's your problem, not his, and he doesn't need to improve. I don't want to work with that kind of guy either. But Ace is working on it, and thus not as arrogant as one might suspect.

Also notice that he's talking about his feelings. They spill over into his actions sometimes, but perhaps not in every situation. If I have the choice, I'll take him any day, and help him find a way to put all that cocky attitude to good use.

Rainmaker,

Are you heading up your apprentice group yet? Assuming you have one (a formal training system). I understand you're fairly new, but someone in your org. should take note and be getting you involved formally in that process. I would love to have you as part of ours. Appreciate your thoughtful comments.

rainmaker Wed Dec 17, 2003 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by davidw

Rainmaker,

Are you heading up your apprentice group yet? Assuming you have one (a formal training system). I understand you're fairly new, but someone in your org. should take note and be getting you involved formally in that process. I would love to have you as part of ours. Appreciate your thoughtful comments.

I'm sorta betwixt and between, so I have that perspective that can be helpful. I'm still pretty green, so I sympathize with the rookies -- I remember all my mistakes (and they were many and varied!), and how painful they were. I remember what helped me get better. And I'm also doing pretty well, so I can tell rookies where to head, and how. I ran a camp for rookies last summer, and will do so again this year. I learned a lot, and taught a lot. It was a great experience. And just as you were typing, another guy in our association was typing an e-mail asking me to write him a formal evaluation. So I am starting to get involved formally in the process. It all feeds the Jones, so I'm happy to do it.!

CLAY Wed Dec 17, 2003 01:36pm

Rainmaker,

If the info you wrote is correct, and correct me if Iam wrong. You state you have been doing basketball for the past 4 yrs. You are running a camp for rookie officials, what qualifications do you have after only 4 yrs of officating to run this camp.

rockyroad Wed Dec 17, 2003 01:45pm

Quote:

Rainmaker,

If the info you wrote is correct, and correct me if Iam wrong. You state you have been doing basketball for the past 4 yrs. You are running a camp for rookie officials, what qualifications do you have after only 4 yrs of officating to run this camp.

Ok CLAY...Exactly which qualifications do you think she needs to have to run a rookie camp??? The camp she organized had very experienced officials doing the evaluations, and the two people I have talked to said the camp was a great benefit to them...so what is your problem with her qualifications?? Or do you (as most of your posts seem to indicate) just enjoy being obnoxious???

And to Little Chucky Elias...although I can't agree with your taste in baseball teams, it would appear that we both suffer from the same malady - that of having to put up with people who think 5'8" is short...sigh...keep the faith, buddy!

CLAY Wed Dec 17, 2003 01:58pm

Rockyroad,

You are so right. I had no business asking for rainmakers qulaifications or being obnoxious towards anyone in the fourm, and for that I apologize.

I thought this was a place to get help, make comments with those you agree of disagree. But I was wrong. The next time I make a comment I'll make sure I stoke the ego's first as not to hurt anyone's feelings.

rockyroad Wed Dec 17, 2003 02:05pm

Fine, apology accepted...now are you going to answer the question, or not? Or are you just going to attack people and then run away when you get called on it? What qualifications do you think one needs to run a rookie camp, and what makes you think that Rain"s qualifications need to be questioned???

CLAY Wed Dec 17, 2003 03:06pm

RocyRoad,

No, Iam not going to run away. In my state you have to be certified by the state officating board to hold any type clinics or camps. so, is she giving instruction or is she using qualified officials to teach the rookies?

In the state I work you can not be promoted to the next level until you have completed 2 yrs of lower lever officiating, and then you have to be graded and recommended by an certified official just to advance to the next level

So maybe Iam confused and things are different out in Portland, I am asking this question, not to be an as* , but to better understand. I was never questioning her qualifications. Just to have a better understanding. In this state it would be hard for me to believe anyone could hold a camp after only 4 yrs of officating, given the time needed to get promoted and rated by certified officials. And like any other state rules are different.

The qulaification question I based it on my state regulations.

In this state you must attended a 8 hour clinic every two years to keep your officiating license active.

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 17, 2003 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rockyroad
[/B]
And to Little Chucky Elias...although I can't agree with your taste in baseball teams, it would appear that we both suffer from the same malady - that of having to put up with people who think 5'8" is short...sigh...keep the faith, buddy!
[/B][/QUOTE]Aaaaaaw! Isn't that sweet? L'il Rocky's comforting L'il Chucky.

Here's a picture of Rocky comforting Chuckie- "doggie" style. They're the two on the left:

http://www.dribbleglass.com/images/oompa1.jpg

rockyroad Wed Dec 17, 2003 04:06pm

OK CLAY, I get where you're coming from now...and Jurassic - all I can say beyond that's gross is that you owe me an extra-large size brownpop now...and one for Chuck...

rainmaker Wed Dec 17, 2003 04:08pm

Quote:

RocyRoad,

No, Iam not going to run away. In my state you have to be certified by the state officating board to hold any type clinics or camps. so, is she giving instruction or is she using qualified officials to teach the rookies?

In the state I work you can not be promoted to the next level until you have completed 2 yrs of lower lever officiating, and then you have to be graded and recommended by an certified official just to advance to the next level

So maybe Iam confused and things are different out in Portland, I am asking this question, not to be an as* , but to better understand.

I don't know if there is such a thing as "certified camps" in Oregon, but it wasn't what I was running. What I did was to do the leg work to get newer officials and more experienced officials into a gym at the same time to the rookies could benefit from some hands-on evaluation. We also had speakers including a former Pac-10 ref, a podiatrist, and our local high school commissioner. We taught some rules, some interps, and how to tape yourself so that you can improve faster (everyone knows I am HUGE on taping!). Refs who came have a variety of goals, but all wanted to work hard and get better. It was a big success and will be about twice as big this year, I think. People learned a lot, and appreciated the networking. It wasn't certified, but then I don't know what a certified camp is, since I've never heard of it.

DJ -- Thanks for sticking up for me. And, hey, are you available to evaluate this year?

davidw Wed Dec 17, 2003 04:15pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Originally posted by davidw

Rainmaker,

I'm sorta betwixt and between, so I have that perspective that can be helpful. I'm still pretty green, so I sympathize with the rookies -- I remember all my mistakes (and they were many and varied!), and how painful they were. I remember what helped me get better. And I'm also doing pretty well, so I can tell rookies where to head, and how. I ran a camp for rookies last summer, and will do so again this year. I learned a lot, and taught a lot. It was a great experience. And just as you were typing, another guy in our association was typing an e-mail asking me to write him a formal evaluation. So I am starting to get involved formally in the process. It all feeds the Jones, so I'm happy to do it.!

Gosh RM, I didn't realize a genuine compliment was going to generate such controversy (as shown by the subsequent posts).

I was asked to head our assoc. training this year, which includes a two year apprentice program for our new officials. Anyway, I asked one of our officials who just completed the two year program to be on my staff (I have 4 assisting me). I thought it would be good to get the perspective of a great new official into the training mix--which it very much has. Anyway, that's what caused me to pose the question. Goodluck and thanks again.

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 17, 2003 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rockyroad
Jurassic - all I can say beyond that's gross is that you owe me an extra-large size brownpop now...and one for Chuck...
Well..... maybe a <b>small</b> one for each of ya!

Lah me, Rock, what ever possessed you to make such a grievous error? You must know that you just set yourself up for years of torment. Maybe not as bad as Chuck can expect, though. He still has that BoSox thing hanging over his head too.

CLAY Wed Dec 17, 2003 04:21pm

Rainmaker, Thank you,thank you, thank you, for giving an explaination of your camp. That is all I was asking, and now I have a great understanding of your camp. What a great Idea you had and I hope next year is even better for you.

P.S.

I dont want to come across as a smartas*, but it seems everyone in this room knows each other. Iam new to this and have not be coming in here that long. But, some of the guys/girls in here need to grow some tougher skin. You make one defensive comment and here they come to attack you. It seems alot of the people in here need to get off their high horse. Some of the guys/gals give me the impression they are bigger than the game.

rainmaker Wed Dec 17, 2003 04:32pm

Quote:

But, some of the guys/girls in here need to grow some tougher skin. You make one defensive comment and here they come to attack you. It seems alot of the people in here need to get off their high horse. Some of the guys/gals give me the impression they are bigger than the game.
Clay -- I think you might get better results if you tone down your own answers a little. You are basically just asking questions, but it sounds a little hostile at times. You seem like a smart kid that could develop into a darn good ref. The best way to learn is to keep your own attitude in check, and don't react too much to the attitude of others.

Or take it out more on Dan, or Rutledge. They know how to give it back in bucketloads, so you never have to feel like you've injured anyone.

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 17, 2003 04:35pm

Quote:

Some of the guys/gals give me the impression they are bigger than the game.
And you obviously gave some of the guys/gals the same impression,Clay.