Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
A couple of years ago, I basically had the same situation. My partner called a double foul with a Team A in control of the ball. He said we were going to use the AP. I told him the rule quietly, he disagreed so I let it go considering he had 15 years more experience than I did. Later, he checked the rule book and realized his error.
You were working a college game, right?
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

The dubious double

Reffing since '93, and I called my first double foul call last week with the exact same bonus situation. Thankfully, we got it right. It just makes sense. I'd always stayed away from the double foul, but I had two chuckleheads shoving each other in the high post and it was getting ridiculous. I tried not to wince when I reported it, but I overheard both coaches on the bench say simultaneously, "That was a good call!"
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Calling a double foul can be a very valuable tool.
Our commissioner doesn't like the double foul, so I try not to use it too often, but it definitely has it's place. A few nights ago (I'm not saying when or where since I don't want to tattle) I saw someone use it TWICE in the same game. Both coaches were incredulous and howled a little, but they were both basically good calls. The girls would slowly work their way into some very incidental contact, and then all at once start shoving. It would have been almost impossible to catch the first one. I suppose it could have worked to try to just call the defense arbitrarily the first time, and then defense again at the other end. Both girls had fouls against other players before the first double, so I'm not sure how much heed they were taking. After the second double, they both got pulled, so the coaches were learning, even if the girls weren't.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
A couple of years ago, I basically had the same situation. My partner called a double foul with a Team A in control of the ball. He said we were going to use the AP. I told him the rule quietly, he disagreed so I let it go considering he had 15 years more experience than I did. Later, he checked the rule book and realized his error.
Actually Chuck, it was a FIBA game which has the same rule in this case as NCAA.

I should have been more specific, considering most of you use NF rules
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Actually Chuck, it was a FIBA game which has the same rule in this case as NCAA. [/B][/QUOTE]
You know, Jay, right after I left that smart-@ss comment, I thought I remembered that you officiated outside the US and that maybe you used NCAA rules, even for your HS games.

Sorry I was so quick to pounce. I'm going to have to trust you that it was the right call per FIBA rules