View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
I'm a second year official and I work primarily Freshman/JV HS games with the occasional girls varsity. In order to gain more experience, I do some CYO youth league games on the weekends. Typically I work with generally untrained, but occasionally experienced partners who are shaky with the rules and the mechanics. Last Saturday I did a 6th grade boys game and in a one point game, I whistled a double foul with Team A in the bonus and Team B not in the bonus. The AP was to Team A. I ruled that no free throws are shot on double fouls and was about to put the ball in play using the AP. The score lady emphatically called us over and insisted that Team A needed to shoot the bonus and although I explained the rule, my partner, who was by chance the R for that specific game, agreed with her. In order to get the call right I went to the table and got my rule book out and showed the reference to my partner, and then called the coaches together and explained the rule to the coaches and we resumed play using the AP arrow. My question is: did I handle the situation correctly and what could I have done better? My mentor suggested that the interruption of the game's flow perhaps outweighed the benefit of getting the call right at that time and that I shouldn't have gone to the rulebook in that situation. Sorry I rambled on, any suggestions?
A couple of years ago, I basically had the same situation. My partner called a double foul with a Team A in control of the ball. He said we were going to use the AP. I told him the rule quietly, he disagreed so I let it go considering he had 15 years more experience than I did. Later, he checked the rule book and realized his error.

This November, the same guy called me a couple of days before the exam. He wanted me to verify a rule that he was not sure about. It goes to show that your fellow officials will develop confidence in you, it just takes time.

Jay