The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 07, 2003, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

As a new member to Officials Forum, and a young official (4th year), I was eager to find out how not to screw up a good game
since I have done my share at the HS and D3 JV level (am I big-timin' by sayin' D3 JV?).

What I never expected was mentioning of the offical's name, let alone the game played.

Whether or not we see - or think we see - questionable calls
or actions (on or off-court) from better, veteran, higher-ranking, etc. officials that lead us to ponder their professionalism, NEVER does it justify crucifying them, especially in a public forum.

As a high school teacher, and at times as an official, I let kids know it's okay to vent. Life isn't fair. Why do the vets harp on us young guys about crisp mechanics, but some of them are counting with gimpy arms or doin' a little jig with their traveling call?

Life ain't fair, but what is important is how we accept the challenges or blows and try to deal with them in a positive way. But NEVER should we bring down another person to try to lift ourselves up.

Peace and a good season to all (hoops and holidays)
Old Sun Dec 07, 2003, 09:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by MtnGoatinStripes

Whether or not we see - or think we see - questionable calls
or actions (on or off-court) from better, veteran, higher-ranking, etc. officials that lead us to ponder their professionalism, NEVER does it justify crucifying them, especially in a public forum.

Why do the vets harp on us young guys about crisp mechanics, but some of them are counting with gimpy arms or doin' a little jig with their traveling call?

[/B]
Hmmmm, now there's a coupla interesting statements:

1)Don't crucify officials in a public forum.Especially veteran, higher ranking officials.We shouldn't ponder the professionalism of those veteran officials.
2)Some veteran officials harp about mechanics, but count with gimpy arms and do a little jig with their travelling call. In other words, their mechanics are bad.

Gee, and statement #2 was made in a public forum,too.

Physician, heal thyself!

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 7th, 2003 at 08:55 AM]
Old Sun Dec 07, 2003, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Smile

JurassicRef, You caught me and rightfully so, as my words weren't fully explained.

Please note that "some" preceded "veteran. It is the veterans
that I enjoy watching because they bring insight and years of experience that we newbies want and need to hear.

Moreover, it was simply an example of a frustration heard and felt by others. However, I realize that by no means makes them incompetent. I have seen those same officials communicate much better with coaches, players, demonstrate impecable judgement and more.

What I perhaps should have included was that, depite my frustration, there is more to the picture. There is alot that
I need to work on, there is more to the picture, and I can't dwell on my judgements of others.

That is what I was trying to say, but didn't communicate too
well.

Thanks for catching me and I didn't mean to offend.

hoof in the mouth, MtnGoat

Old Sun Dec 07, 2003, 10:45am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Welcome to the forum,Mountain Goat.

Kep posting. We're all here to learn. Even the veterans!