The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

I was just reading through the current issue of Referee magazine and they talked about this situation. The article was written by an IABO interpreter and from what I got out of it, it is illegal when they come back inbounds and continue the dribble. My understanding was that it would not be a violation if they just picked up the ball, but then they would have to pass or try for goal. I don't mave the magazine with me so I can't quote word-for-word. Did anyone else see this?

Mregor
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
I was just reading through the current issue of Referee magazine and they talked about this situation. The article was written by an IABO interpreter and from what I got out of it, it is illegal when they come back inbounds and continue the dribble. My understanding was that it would not be a violation if they just picked up the ball, but then they would have to pass or try for goal. I don't mave the magazine with me so I can't quote word-for-word. Did anyone else see this?

Mregor
Yes, and I disagree with what was said.

Either the dribbler still had control and it's a violation to step on the line, or the dribbler didnt' have control and it's not a violation to retouch the ball -- whether to pick it up or dribble it.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

I noticed this last issue had several mistakes.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
I noticed this last issue had several mistakes.
That's one of the reason's I dropped the magazine. They frequently have errors like this. They're often not typos but are actually outright incorrect interpretations and cases.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I still disagree that it is an interrupted dribble. It does not fit the definition of an interrupted dribble. The player directed the ball to go a certain way. That is not an interrupted dribble.
The ball momentarily gets away from the dribbler. By definition, that's an interrupted dribble. It makes no difference that he intentionally allowed the ball to get away. The rule does not require that the loss of control be accidental.

Further, there's no player control during an interrupted dribble. If it's not an interrupted dribble, then player control exists and you would have to rule a violation as soon as the dribbler touches OOB.

BTW, if that's what the IAABO interpreter wrote, he's dead wrong and he is NOT supported by rule.

And I, too, dropped REFEREE magazine because I got tired of sifting through all the errors.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: It momentarily got away from him.

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffTheRef
Quote:
Where does it say that a player who intentionally bats the ball in a certain direction constitues an interrupted dribble? I think Casebook 7.1.1 situation D sums it up

Mregor
The fact that he anticipated that doesn't mean that he chose to let it get away. It means he was smart.
Think of it as "the dribbler getting away from the ball", rather than "the ball getting away from the dribbler." This is a completely different play from when the dribbler steps on a line or out of bounds as he continues his dribble uninterrupted. Player control is not lost in that case, whereas it is in the posted play.