Thread: Out of bounds.
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
I'm not arguing the point about no PC during an interrupted dribble. I'm not even arguing that it should be a violation. What I am saying is that I don't think it is an interrupted dribble. Rule 4-15-5 says: "An interrupted dribble occurs when the ball is loose after deflecting off the dribbler or after it momentarily gets away from the dribbler. There is no player control during an interrupted dribble."

Where does it say that a player who intentionally bats the ball in a certain direction constitues an interrupted dribble? I think Casebook 7.1.1 situation D sums it up

[/B]
It is an interrupted dribble because the original post in this thread says so!! The post says that the player was dribbling, went out of bounds and left the ball in bounds, and then came back in bounds and resumed dribbling. Note that this post says nothing about the dribbler grabbing the ball, or ending the dribble at any time before resuming his original dribble. Also, there's no pass involved, which is why 7.1.1D isn't relevant at all- unless you wanna relate it to the (b) part,which happens to be legal because a dribble has already been started. [/B][/QUOTE]

7.1.1 Sit D, play b is exactly what I was referring to. A1 jumps from inbounds to retrieve an errant pass near a boundary line. A1 catched the ball while in the air and tosses it back to the court. A1 lands out of bounds and (b) returns inbounds and immediately dribbles the ball. Ruling: Legal...the toss of the ball to the court by A1 constitutes the start of a dribble...

I agree its not the exact situation, however, it covers what I think is pertinent. What's the difference if it is the start of a dribble or continuation of a dribble? A dribble is a dribble until it ends is it not? I still disagree that it is an interrupted dribble. It does not fit the definition of an interrupted dribble. The player directed the ball to go a certain way. That is not an interrupted dribble. I would have a no call, but I think you could make a case for him also being OOB once he came in and continued his dribble much like SamIAm said.

Mregor