Official Forum Member

It momentarily got away from him.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
How can it be an interrupted dribble when the player "forces" it back to the playing court? The ball did not deflect off him or momentarily get away.

If the player's momentum carries him off the court so that he can't immediately dribble the ball, then the play should be ruled as an "interrupted dribble". Note that this is a judgement call on the official's part. See R4-15-5 where it says that there is NO player control during an interrupted dribble. "No" is the key word.
I'm not arguing the point about no PC during an interrupted dribble. I'm not even arguing that it should be a violation. What I am saying is that I don't think it is an interrupted dribble. Rule 4-15-5 says: "An interrupted dribble occurs when the ball is loose after deflecting off the dribbler or after it momentarily gets away from the dribbler. There is no player control during an interrupted dribble."

Where does it say that a player who intentionally bats the ball in a certain direction constitues an interrupted dribble? I think Casebook 7.1.1 situation D sums it up

Mregor
The fact that he anticipated that doesn't mean that he chose to let it get away. It means he was smart.