The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2-Man questions.....(Chopping Time & Full TOs) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11005-2-man-questions-chopping-time-full-tos.html)

Larks Mon Dec 01, 2003 01:49pm

NFHS - Please Provide Reference

Both 2-Man Mechs

Full time out

Two man, on full time out, we now stand on the low blocks. Is it the blocks nearer to table side or opposite? (By the way, the new two man mechanics arent very ideal if anyone is asking my opinion)

Chopping Time

Lead throw in from end line, should the trail mirror lead's chop? My opinion is we have enough in two-man to watch off ball while this is going on to also have to pay attention to the ball being legally touched or our partners chop. I know womens college the trail mirrors the chop but I have yet to hear or read that this is a mechanic for HS / mens.

Thanks

Larks
VIT

JRutledge Mon Dec 01, 2003 02:01pm

Both are right in the book.

Quote:

Originally posted by Larks

Both 2-Man Mechs

Full time out

Two man, on full time out, we now stand on the low blocks. Is it the blocks nearer to table side or opposite? (By the way, the new two man mechanics arent very ideal if anyone is asking my opinion)

Opposite the table. There is a diagram in the NF Officiating Manual that clearly states what is to be done.

Quote:

Chopping Time

Lead throw in from end line, should the trail mirror lead's chop? My opinion is we have enough in two-man to watch off ball while this is going on to also have to pay attention to the ball being legally touched or our partners chop. I know womens college the trail mirrors the chop but I have yet to hear or read that this is a mechanic for HS / mens.

Again, right in the manual. The covering officials (who administers the throw-in) is the only person that is suppose to chop. As the trail, you have other things to look at. If you are both watching the ball, you will not see the other things going on. Also, this is not Women's college basketball. It appears that Mary is tying to make it that way, but it is not at this time. So do not get the levels confused.

All of this is directly in the Two Person Mechanics section. There are clearly diagrams and references to Throw-In Administration and Timeout Procedures.

Peace

Mregor Mon Dec 01, 2003 02:02pm

1. Opposite table. Now that they've defined the bench area, the block table side is in the "Bench Area".

2. Do not mirror as trail. Most timers never look at us anyways.

Mregor

EMBUAump Mon Dec 01, 2003 02:09pm

Why would you want to mirror the administering official chop in time. You and your partner no matter how good you are will never get your hand down at the same time giving the coaches and fans one more thing to yell about with 0.7 seconds left to go in a one point game.

You should be on the neutral zones opposite the table. It’s the same as three person without the official standing at the table.

Larks Mon Dec 01, 2003 02:13pm

Re: Both are right in the book.

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Both 2-Man Mechs

Full time out

Opposite the table. There is a diagram in the NF Officiating Manual that clearly states what is to be done.

Quote:

Chopping Time

Again, right in the manual. The covering officials (who administers the throw-in) is the only person that is suppose to chop. As the trail, you have other things to look at. If you are both watching the ball, you will not see the other things going on. Also, this is not Women's college basketball. It appears that Mary is tying to make it that way, but it is not at this time. So do not get the levels confused.

All of this is directly in the Two Person Mechanics section. There are clearly diagrams and references to Throw-In Administration and Timeout Procedures.

Peace

Thanks Rut. Manuals in the bag at the house. On the chop thing, I have started seeing this happen this year and have a bet with a very tenured official that you do not echo the chop for the reasons we both suggested, not to mention it aint in the book!

JRutledge Mon Dec 01, 2003 02:19pm

You have some money coming to you!!

Quote:

Thanks Rut. Manuals in the bag at the house. On the chop thing, I have started seeing this happen this year and have a bet with a very tenured official that you do not echo the chop for the reasons we both suggested, not to mention it aint in the book!

:D

mick Mon Dec 01, 2003 02:29pm

At the table?

Quote:

Originally posted by EMBUAump
It’s the same as three person without the official standing at the table.
EMBUAump,
Huh?
Why would an official be <u>positioned</u> at the table?
I don't know that mechanic.
mick

EMBUAump Mon Dec 01, 2003 02:46pm

I see what you’re saying, fingers faster then the brain I guess. The official at the division line in front of or behind the circle (often called the table around here) was the old two person time out positioning. Now both officials go to the neutral zones for 60 second time outs. The new timeout positioning is the same as three person. What I should have said standing at the throw-in spot.

Sorry.......................Try not to have it happen again.

mick Mon Dec 01, 2003 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by EMBUAump
Now both officials go to the neutral zones for 60 second time outs. The new timeout positioning is the same as three person. What I should have said standing at the throw-in spot.

EMBUAump,
I figgered so. ;)
mick

rwest Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:16am

When do you chop time on a jump ball?

The rule book says that time should be started when it is legally touched. Touched by whom? The players in the jump ball circle who are jumping for possession? Or one of the non-jumpers?

IAABO_Ref Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:21am

Start the Clock

When it's touched by one of the jumpers

tomegun Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:22am

Re: When do you chop time on a jump ball?

Quote:

Originally posted by rwest
The rule book says that time should be started when it is legally touched. Touched by whom? The players in the jump ball circle who are jumping for possession? Or one of the non-jumpers?
Jumpers.