The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

That moron doesn't need to be around kids, period. What kind of warped mind gets their kicks out of treating kids that way. Sure hope he doesn't have any of his own.

Mregor
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
That moron doesn't need to be around kids, period. What kind of warped mind gets their kicks out of treating kids that way. Sure hope he doesn't have any of his own.

Mregor

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain; and most fools do.
With your signiature line, this becomes a very pithy post!
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Just make sure your child knows that you don't agree with the coach. As long as the kid's got your support and knows the coach's behavior is unacceptable, everything will turn out ok.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

I agree whole heartedly. Get your kid off of that team. There is no place in youth athletics for that kind of coaching.

At the same time I think you need to work with the other parents of kids on that team. While your only real responsibility is to your own child, this coach is clearly not good for any of the kids on the team. If enough of the parents pull their children the coach will have no team to berate. Of course starting your own team is never simple, but with enough support from these other parents you should be able to offer all the children the best (or at least better) environment in which to learn and enjoy the game of basketball.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Mregor

Not sure how to take that because I have no idea what "Pithy" means.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Juulie doesn't have a lisp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Mregor

Not sure how to take that because I have no idea what "Pithy" means.
And apparently you don't have a dictionary...

Pithy - to the heart (or pith) of the matter; precisely, meaningful; cogent and terse.

In other words Roger, you are right on.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Videotape a practice session and send it to the league and see if they still stand behind him. Also show it to the parents and get them involved. The guy sounds like he thinks he is coaching DI ball or something.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stan-MI
Just make sure your child knows that you don't agree with the coach. As long as the kid's got your support and knows the coach's behavior is unacceptable, everything will turn out ok.
I agree with Stan. Don't quit the team. Have a frank discussion with your daughter about the coach's behavior. Make sure she understands where you stand, regarding the coach's behavior and your support of her. You could turn this into a real learning experience for her.

It seems to me the current wisdom when dealing with kids is to encase them in plastic and protect them from everything. At 8th grade, your child may or may not be mature enough to handle this situation with your support--that's your call.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Thanks PA Coach and Stan. your approach is the one I was suggesting as well, though probably not as clearly. You really need to know your kid and what they can handle. You need to let them know where you stand and find out if they want to continue, if they still think hoops is fun despite the coach's behavior.

I don't argue whether his behavior is inappropriate, but I have seen plenty in my own club that I do not support. And already I have a parent telling me that one of my player's HS coaches is a "yeller." I don't think he is at this extreme, but he berates in rather vocal terms. So this contnues to happen, and even in the workplace you see inappropriate conduct. the most important thing is to know how to handle it when you encounter it, and not to feel tha the only recourse is to leave the situation. This is not a physically abusive marriage, but it is an extreme verbally abusive situation that you need to constantly monitor.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
It seems to me the current wisdom when dealing with kids is to encase them in plastic and protect them from everything. At 8th grade, your child may or may not be mature enough to handle this situation with your support--that's your call.
I agree that over-protecting isn't healthy. But I'm not sure removing a kid from this tean is over protection. I doubt there are very many 8th graders anywhere that could handle this in an up-building way. And I do think the coach needs to be carefully admonished, even if he doesn't listen. Somehow, he needs to learn that this behavior is unacceptable. If parents don't pull their kids, or at least speak up in a strong way, it appears as though what he's doing is fine. Being a yeller is one thing. What this guy is doing os way over the top and really does border on illegal. Every attempt must be made to end the situation for everyone.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

You have to do what you deem appropriate for your own child. No one is there to advocate for an 8th grader but his/her own parents. If your kid can handle it and learn from it, great. If not, get them out of there. Every coach has his/her own style, but that doesn't make abuse acceptable. Your definition of abuse may not fit the "legal" definition, but you have to be there for your child.

My kid is only 8 and has never encountered that kind of coaching, but I can tell you that I would never subject a pre-teen to that kind of behavior.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

I feel in this case that we aren't insulating our daughter from a coach who acts in a manner we just don't happen to agree with. We are taking a stand against a coach/league that thinks it is OK to belittle, berate, insult and make fun of athletes! We will not compromise our own standards of conduct in this case. This coach has crossed WAY over the line with what is considered appropriate behavior. I'll say it here again, athletes (or anyone for that manner) deserve to be treated with respect and dignity. How many of you have a boss that talks to you this way? Would you quit after being belittled or insulted? How long could you go before you couldn't take it anymore? Would you quit? Look for a new job?
WE are taking a stand and are being the ROLE MODELS for our daughter. Merely telling her we don't agree with the coach but keeping her on the team is a mixed message in my mind.
If this had been an English or Math teacher who said these things to his/her students....come on....how many parents would be running to the principal's office to complain.
Should coach's be held to the same standard as a teacher? Don't they teach as well? Why would we allow our children to be belittle by a coach but not a teacher?? Why are coaches given a wider berth? More leeway?
This behavior is not OK...we know it...our daughter knows it....too bad the coach doesn't know it.
jellybeads