The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I was working a high school scrimmage the other day. And some of the players were kind of "mouthy" if you will and talking a little too much in my opinion to me and my partner, dont get me wrong it wasnt bad, although they wouldnt get away with it in a game. even though it means nothing and is almost unheard of down here in oklahoma, would it be appropriate to slap a "T" on someone if it is deserved in a "scrimmage". Give me your feedback
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tweets
Cool DUDE....

PRACTICE LIKE YER GONNA PLAY.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Good question. I think in a scrimmage, I would notify the coaches of the behavior, and let them know that it would not be tolerated in a game situation. Scrimmages are for learning, more than anything else, and most scrimmages I've done can be stopped at any time by the coaches to teach.

Also, you can also say something to the players, such as, "C'mon guys, it's a scrimmage, let's have some fun today."
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Quote:
Originally posted by steve brinlee
I was working a high school scrimmage the other day. And some of the players were kind of "mouthy" if you will and talking a little too much in my opinion to me and my partner, dont get me wrong it wasnt bad, although they wouldnt get away with it in a game. even though it means nothing and is almost unheard of down here in oklahoma, would it be appropriate to slap a "T" on someone if it is deserved in a "scrimmage". Give me your feedback
Our Board has an interesting policy. If the coach gets a T the officials come off of the court- end of scrimmage

Stew in Va
CVBOA
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

off topic....

Tweets - love the quote!

Have you personally tried this experiment?
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to capwsu
I think if it was getting bad enough that you would issue a T in a game, I would do it in the scrimmage. You may not need to do the whole procedure of shooting the free throws, but it will definitely notify the coach that there is a problem in the behavior of his players. I think this would be a way of teaching the players what is unacceptable also. I would bet they will clean up their behavior after a T, and would prevent them from having to learn the lesson in a game.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 02:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
...would it be appropriate to slap a "T" on someone if it is deserved in a "scrimmage". Give me your feedback
I worked a DII Men's scrimmage, and I was just having a ball!
Players were playing hard; coaches were coaching.

A partner called a foul on V34. V34 then slammed the ball on the floor ( a good one, ... 20'-25').
In half jest, I blew my whistle and *Whacked* him.

Well, both teams cleared the arc, and the Home team went to the line. I asked, "Do you really wanna shoot the "T"?. They did.

While the free throws were being taken, two visiting players (Point guard and Shooting Forward) came to where I was standing and said, "Great Call! He's needed an attitude adjustment for 2 months!"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Re: DUDE....

Quote:
Originally posted by Tweets
PRACTICE LIKE YER GONNA PLAY.
Amen. You let players get away with it now, you'll be that much more likely to see it during the season. Help the kid out - whack him now before it costs his team a chance to win a game.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jim Armstrong
I worked a D-1 "intrasquad" scrimmage recently, and one of my partners whacked a kid for dropping an F bomb, I'm not sure who it was directed at. I was taken by surprise, but nobody seemed to mind, we shot the free throws, and carried on.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

When you're doing your scrimmages, are they between the same team or are there different teams from separate schools? I would think that if it was within the same team, you'd just tell the coach. How bad is the language on a basketball court? I'm a football official, and we hear a lot of stuff on the field, but we've been cracking down on it a lot.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

In a scrimmage, I'll just tell a coach that a player needs to sit down for the rest of the quarter/half/game, and why. A T at a high school scrimmage isn't going to accomplish much because no one cares much about the score. But the players do care about playing time.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by. . .?????
WHEN A CAT IS DROPPED IT ALWAYS LANDS ON ITS FEET. WHEN TOAST IS DROPPED IT ALWAYS LANDS ON THE BUTTERED SIDE. I PROPOSE TO STRAP BUTTERED TOAST TO THE BACK OF A CAT..........THE TWO WILL HOVER, SPINNING INCHES ABOVE THE GROUND.
Ahhhh, a Steven Wright fan
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

These teams I work arent intrasquad they are different schools. and the language wasnt bad, it was the attitudes..etc.. stuff they wouldnt get away with at all in games.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If it's obvious enough...damn skippy, it's a T!

If it's just some mouth, I'll call the player aside and explain that in a regular game, he/she would have got one. I tell the coach as well. I may even send the player to the bench for a rest.

In either case, don't let it go. It'll just hurt the team later.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tweets
Talking Re: off topic....

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
Tweets - love the quote!

Have you personally tried this experiment?

NOT YET. STILL GIVING SERIOUS CONSIDERATION TO THE ATTEMPT. GOT THE TOAST BUT THE CAT KEEPS RUNNING AWAY DADGUMMIT...........

WHICH ANDY R U ANYWAYS?