View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 08, 2003, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffTheRef
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Some areas of the country (like Massachusetts) require an official to be a member of IAABO in order to officiate inter-scholastic games.
This is incorrect.
Sorry. I'm showing my bias toward boys' and men's basketball. Jeff is right about Massachusetts. As Maryann pointed out, there are non-IAABO boards in Mass. and they primarily do girls' games. Here in my local area, you had to be an IAABO member to officiate boys HS games, period. That has now changed, for reasons that escape me, to be honest. Now, IAABO officials officiate both boys and girls games, and the non-IAABO board is also allowed to officiate the boys games. So why are there two boards?!?! I don't know.

Anyway, I should have said that it used to be that way. And my guess is that it still is that way in some parts of the country, but here in Mass, Jeff is right: you do not need to be an IAABO official to work inter-scholastic games. In some areas of the state, however, you do need to be an IAABO member to work boys games.

Is that better Jeff?