Thread: Why IAABO ???
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 12:24pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ga314ref
Here in Georgia, we've gotten no real benefit from being part of IAABO. Our board is strongly in favor of letting them go, and Georgia High School seems to agree.

I accept that fact that in many areas, the only way to receive assignments is to belong to a local association.

But the benefits that one gets from membership in an technical association whether it be a national one such as IAABO or a local officials association is proportionate to what you put into the association.

If one were to make up a list of what a technical association for basketball officials should provide for its members, I hope that providing assignments would be low on its list of priorities. High on an LOA's list of benefits should be education: rules, mechanics, and ethics/professionalism. A LOA should also be proactive in the education of non-officials: scorers, timers, players, ATHLETIC DIRECTORS and COACHES!! And a LOA should be defending officials against unprofessional practices by athletic directors and coaches. I would hope that an official would not have as his primary reason for belonging to an officials association is to receive assignments.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio