Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 08, 2024, 09:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

Everything ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Don't trust ChatGPT on anything.
I'm not foolish enough to believe everything that artificial intelligence tells me.

However, it did get this one (disqualified player and substitutes) correct.

In many other aspects of my life, I might start with ChatGPT or Wikipedia, but I always follow up with other sources.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 08, 2024, 11:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm not foolish enough to believe everything that artificial intelligence tells me.

However, it did get this one (disqualified player and substitutes) correct.

In many other aspects of my life, I might start with ChatGPT or Wikipedia, but I always follow up with other sources.
I do not understand why you would use AI as a source for something that is not coming from the actual source. Maybe I am missing something as the usefulness, but that is not something I would even be using if the information is coming from the organization that makes these decisions.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 08, 2024, 01:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Horse's Mouth ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not understand why you would use AI as a source for something that is not coming from the actual source.
AI often cites a source, and then one uses that source, and other sources to confirm.

In my case I actually requested relevant NFHS rules in my question.

Once I got an answer, I kept searching sources for confirmation.

I started with AI, found some direction, then to the Forum (using the search feature), and then to NFHS.

AI gave me a head start, and in this case, it was correct, which doesn't always happen, nor do I expect it to always happen.

Someday maybe I'll ask Alexa for something other than the weather, or to play a favorite song?

I'll see how "smart" she really is?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 08, 2024 at 01:25pm.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2024, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Your process was backwards then. You should always start with the original source. Then you can go to secondary sources if something isn't clear.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2024, 06:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Lack Of Patience ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Your process was backwards then. You should always start with the original source. Then you can go to secondary sources if something isn't clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Are there NFHS rules or mechanics that tell the reporting official not to allow the substitutes to enter before the head coach replaces the disqualified player?
Spent two days, with no success, looking through my NFHS rule book and NFHS casebook, and then waiting for citations from Forum members, also with no success.

Got nothing. Bupkis. Zip. Nada. Zilch. Zero. Nil. Naught. Goose egg.

Tried artificial intelligence and instantly got an answer that I agreed with (so maybe I was headed in the right direction) but needed confirmation with a citation.

Knowing not to use artificial intelligence as a unilateral citations source, I doubled down on the using the Forum search feature and the Forum archived annual interpretations to come up with a confirmed citation answer.

2020-21 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 10: A1 fouls out of the game. The Team A coach talks to a substitute and within 15 seconds sends the substitute to the table to report in the game. A Team B player then requests a time-out. RULING: Since a time-out may not be granted until a disqualified player is replaced, the administering official should ask the substitute at the table if he/she is the replacement for A1. If so, the time-out may be granted. If not, the substitute shall remain at the table and the coach must still replace A1 within the specified timeframe before the time-out may be granted. (3-3-1, 5-8-3b, 10-6-2)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 09, 2024 at 09:17am.