The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 12, 2024, 09:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

Free Throws ...

A1 jumps to attempt try and is in the act of shooting. B1 also jumps and legally blocks A1's shot such that A1 is unable to release the ball. Gravity takes over as both airborne A1 and airborne B1 begin to descend to the floor. However, before A1 returns to the floor B1 illegally contacts A1 by grabbing A1's forearm (B1's hand slides down from contacting the ball to contacting A1's forearm), followed by both A1 and B1 returning to the floor.

For some reason, all three officials pass on calling the held ball, but the lead calls the holding foul on B1 before A1 had returned to the floor. Team A is not in the bonus.

As the lead reports the foul to the table, all the players, and the other two officials, prepare for two free throws by A1, but when the lead returns after reporting the foul he wants it to be Team A designated spot throwin at one of the four spots nearest the foul, stating that A1, never having released the ball because the ball was blocked by B1, was not in the act of shooting when fouled by B1.

Of course the easiest and correct call would have been a held ball, but it wasn't called, so what do you guys have next in the situation described?

Not only did I observe this, but I was in on the post game discussion regarding this situation, so it occurred exactly as I described above.

Act of shooting, or not? Protect the airborne shooter all the way back down to the floor?

Act of shooting ended when try was blocked (certain the throw is unsuccessful)?

Held ball should not have been called until both players legally returned to the floor?

4-1: Airborne Shooter
ART. 1 An airborne shooter is a player who has released the ball on a try for a goal or has tapped the ball and has not returned to the floor.
ART. 2 The airborne shooter is considered to be in the act of shooting.

4-41: Shooting, Try, Tap
ART. 1 The act of shooting begins simultaneously with the start of the try or tap for field goal and ends when the ball is clearly in flight, and includes the airborne shooter.
ART. 2 A try for field goal is an attempt by a player to score two or three points by throwing the ball into a team’s own basket. A player is trying for goal when the player has the ball and in the official’s judgment is throwing or attempting to throw for goal. It is not essential that the ball leave the player’s hand as a foul could prevent release of the ball.
ART. 4 The try ends when the throw is successful, when it is certain the throw is unsuccessful, when the thrown ball touches the floor or when the ball becomes dead.

4-11: Continuous Motion
ART. 1 Continuous motion applies to a try or tap for field goals and free throws, but it has no significance unless there is a foul by any defensive player during the interval which begins when the habitual throwing movement starts a try or with the touching on a tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight.
ART. 2 If an opponent fouls after a player has started a try for goal, he/she is permitted to complete the customary arm movement, and if pivoting or stepping when fouled, may complete the usual foot or body movement in any activity while holding the ball. These privileges are granted only when the usual throwing motion has started before the foul occurs and before the ball is in flight.

6-7: Dead ball: The ball becomes dead, or remains dead, when:
ART. 7 A foul, other than player-control or team-control, occurs (see exceptions a, b and c below).
Exception: The ball does not become dead until the try or tap for field goal ends, or until the airborne shooter returns to the floor, when:
c. Article 7 occurs by any opponent of a player who has started a try or tap for field goal (is in the act of shooting) before the foul occurred, provided time did not expire before the ball was in flight. The trying motion must be continuous and begins after the ball comes to rest in the player’s hand(s) on a try or touches the hand(s) on a tap, and is completed when the ball is clearly in flight. The trying motion may include arm, foot or body movements used by the player when throwing the ball at his/her basket.

4.25.2 SITUATION: A1 jumps to try for goal or to pass the ball. B1 leaps or reaches and is able to put his/her hands on the ball and keep A1 from releasing it. A1: (a) returns to the floor with the ball; or (b) is unable to control the ball and it drops to the floor. RULING: A held ball results immediately in (a) and (b) when airborne A1 is prevented from releasing the ball to pass or try for goal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 13, 2024 at 11:36am.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2024, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

You highlighted the correct answer. Don't understand the question.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2024, 12:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Act Of Shooting ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You highlighted the correct answer. Don't understand the question.
So, because the ball does not become dead until the try or tap for field goal ends, or until the airborne shooter returns to the floor, A1 should have been awarded two free throws?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Mar 12, 2024, 01:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So, because the ball does not become dead until the try or tap for field goal ends, or until the airborne shooter returns to the floor, A1 should have been awarded two free throws?
You highlighted the correct answer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Tue Mar 12, 2024, 02:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thank You ...

Thanks bob jenkins and Raymond.

Old Tue Mar 12, 2024, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Bob and Raymond are both incorrect. Since the try was never released, there cannot be an airborne shooter BY RULE. Therefore, if the official determines that the act of shooting had ended (try clearly will not be successful) no FTs are warranted. Of course, a held ball is the correct decision in this play as described, but if that is missed, then a common foul is the next option.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2024, 07:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Bob and Raymond are both incorrect. Since the try was never released, there cannot be an airborne shooter BY RULE. Therefore, if the official determines that the act of shooting had ended (try clearly will not be successful) no FTs are warranted. Of course, a held ball is the correct decision in this play as described, but if that is missed, then a common foul is the next option.
A1 went airborne to shoot. Whether or not they released the try is irrelevant. Shooting fouls without the release of the ball happen all the time.

A1is still airborne when the illegal contact occurs. Players are capable of releasing tries during their descent. Players are capable of releasing tries after having the ball initially capped by a defender.

If A1 wasn't capable of still releasing the try, then that contact to the forearm should have been ruled incidental.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Mar 12, 2024 at 07:45pm.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2024, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
A1 went airborne to shoot. Whether or not they released the try is irrelevant. Shooting fouls without the release of the ball happen all the time.

A1is still airborne when the illegal contact occurs. Players are capable of releasing tries during their descent. Players are capable of releasing tries after having the ball initially capped by a defender.

If A1 wasn't capable of still releasing the try, then that contact to the forearm should have been ruled incidental.

You are hung up on the notion that A1 jumped to shoot. In this particular case that doesn’t matter. Since the ball was never released, A1 being airborne at the time of the foul is irrelevant. All that matters is whether the official deemed that he was still in the act of shooting at the time of the foul. The official clearly decided that the try had ended, so no FTs are warranted.

It is true that a foul in the act of shooting could prevent the ball from being released, but that foul would have to take place prior to the try ending.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2024, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Nevada, and I apologize for my previous post. I frequently correct people on the definition of "Airborne Shooter", and I'm mad at myself for not seeing that in the OP.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2024, 11:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Released ...

Quote:
Since the try was never released, there cannot be an airborne shooter BY RULE.
That's the part that stymied me in this situation.

4-1-1: An airborne shooter is a player who has released the ball on a try for a goal or has tapped the ball and has not returned to the floor.

Quote:
Therefore, if the official determines that the act of shooting had ended (try clearly will not be successful) no FTs are warranted. Of course, a held ball is the correct decision in this play as described, but if that is missed, then a common foul is the next option.
Thanks Nevadaref.

Old Wed Mar 13, 2024, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Of course, a held ball is the correct decision in this play as described, but if that is missed, then a common foul is the next option.
Indeed, a held ball appears to be the correct call, both by rule/case, and context/spirit of the game. I would disagree that a common foul is the next option.

By calling a common foul, nothing but confusion, not only for partners, but probably players/coaches/fans/table/etc. results. Most of the time, the correct ruling is the best ruling, but not always, and I think this case is proof.

The official erred by not choosing the correct, and best, call initially (held ball). The official erred again by choosing the correct, although not the best, call secondarily (common foul).

IMO, since the held ball was not correctly ruled, the official should have ruled a shooting foul, which is an incorrect ruling, but the best ruling.

I am willing to wager that the official was the only person in the gym who knew that technical rule on that play.

Many rules are set aside for the betterment of the game. I wonder why the official skipped an obvious ruling (held ball) that everyone would understand and elected to make a technical ruling that no one would understand (at the time of the play).
Old Thu Mar 14, 2024, 03:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Held Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I wonder why the official skipped an obvious ruling (held ball) that everyone would understand ...
All three officials passed on the held ball, probably because the lead's whistle sounded for the holding foul before the shooter returned to the floor.

If no foul had been called, I'm pretty sure one, possibly two, maybe three, officials would have whistled for a held ball.

The problem is that, by rule, there is no requirement for this airborne player to return to the floor for a held ball to be called.

4-25-2: A held ball occurs when: An opponent places his/her hand(s) on the ball and prevents an airborne player from throwing the ball or releasing it on a try.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Mar 15, 2024 at 11:56am.