Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 03, 2024, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Payoff to Fed by uniform suppliers.
Whether a team wears white at home or on the road does not require them to buy new uniforms.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2024, 09:14pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlasherZ View Post
I'm first curious how a "flop violation", or even a "formal flop warning" would be handled. Is it only a violation for offense players? If A1 is driving and B1 flops, do we stop play to call the violation and give the ball right back to... team A?

--- 8< --- Snip --- >8 ---

Is there any particular situation you would have used a violation or formal warning for flopping vs. today's options?

If it is handled as it is in international play, the warning is signaled immediately and then reported at the next stoppage with play resuming at the POI. Subsequent flops are penalized with an immediate player technical foul.

As other posters have stated, flopping isn't limited to the defense. Offensive players try to act as if they have been fouled. Also, shooters will also try to embellish contact that may or may not have happened - especially as or after they land.

I had a play this year where defensive player flailed about after running into a legally-set screen. Not enough to call a T for faking being fouled, but it would have been enough to merit an official warning if it existed in the rules.

Here is a 5 minute 10 second clip of various plays in FIBA competition that were ruled a flop following a prior warning.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Sun Mar 03, 2024 at 09:17pm.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2024, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

I got halfway through the video...not sure why they felt the need to embellish. There was contact in each one - but I don't know how likely FIBA officials are to call PC fouls on those.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2024, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
As other posters have stated, flopping isn't limited to the defense. Offensive players try to act as if they have been fouled. Also, shooters will also try to embellish contact that may or may not have happened - especially as or after they land.
Thanks.

I can understand it being an official warning that just establishes the next time as a technical foul... I think we can already do that with informal "knock-it-off"s, but I suppose giving it more weight makes it less argumentative when you do pull the T out.

I was responding mainly to the specific wording used that would establish faking being fouled as a "violation" vs. a warning. I can see that for offensive flopping - stop play, it's a turnover and the defense gets the ball. It would also work on a shot - offense gets the ball on a made or missed basket without needing to rebound? But when the defense flops on the floor without a try, how would a violation be enforced? Give the ball to the team that already had it in the first place?

Last edited by FlasherZ; Mon Mar 04, 2024 at 11:58am.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2024, 12:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Flopping ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
Wow! In my high school games I've either got a player/team control foul, or a defensive foul, or a loose ball foul, or nothing, on almost all of these plays.

If flopping because a rule change, or a point of emphasis, I've got to really change my definition of a flop.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Mar 04, 2024, 01:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlasherZ View Post
Thanks.

I can understand it being an official warning that just establishes the next time as a technical foul... I think we can already do that with informal "knock-it-off"s, but I suppose giving it more weight makes it less argumentative when you do pull the T out.

I was responding mainly to the specific wording used that would establish faking being fouled as a "violation" vs. a warning. I can see that for offensive flopping - stop play, it's a turnover and the defense gets the ball. It would also work on a shot - offense gets the ball on a made or missed basket without needing to rebound? But when the defense flops on the floor without a try, how would a violation be enforced? Give the ball to the team that already had it in the first place?
I do not think they were asking if there is to be a violation in the literal sense, but if we should call something for flopping. And until they actually decide this is something that is going to be addressed (which they have never done) then we are purely speculating. It is a Class B Technical in NCAA Men's and goes back to POI. The offensive team could keep the ball in some cases.

I will wait until they actually address this if they ever address this.

Peace