The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 14, 2024, 06:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

2024 NFHS Basketball Rules Questionnaire ...

Part I – Are These Changes Made Last Year Satisfactory?

1. Requiring the shot clock operator to sit at the scorer’s and timer’s table, if using a shot clock.

2. Clarifying that teammates must all wear like-colored uniform bottoms but may wear multiple styles.

3. Eliminating the one-and-one for common fouls beginning with the seventh team foul in the half and establishing the bonus as two free throws awarded for a common foul beginning with the team’s fifth foul in each quarter and resetting the fouls at the end of each quarter.

4. Establishing four throw-in spots when a team is retaining or gaining team control in its frontcourt due to a violation, a common foul prior to the bonus, or other stoppages in play other than an out of bounds.

5. Allowing the official administering a throw-in to the wrong team to correct the mistake before the first dead ball after the ball becomes live unless there is a change of possession.

6. Allowing a player to step out of bounds without penalty unless they are the first player to touch the ball after returning to the court or if they left the court to avoid a violation.

Part II – Observations – Have You Seen In Your Area?

1. An increase in the number of fouls committed at the end of each quarter in order to prevent an opponent from scoring if the bonus is not in effect (team has not reached its fifth team foul).

2. An increase in concern around the length of players’ fingernails.

3. Players using face paint and/or hair glitter.

4. An increase in unsporting or confrontational behavior by fans toward officials.

5. A decrease in unsporting or confrontational behavior by fans toward officials.

6. An increase in unsporting or confrontational behavior by coaches toward officials.

7. A decrease in unsporting or confrontational behavior by coaches toward officials.

8. An increase in unsporting or confrontational behavior by players toward officials.

9. A decrease in unsporting or confrontational behavior by players toward officials.

Part III – About Rules For 2024-25 – Would You Favor?

1. Requiring the game clock to stop after a made basket in the last minute of the game and overtime.

2. Requiring the visiting team jersey to be white and the home team jersey to be a contrasting dark color.

3. Limiting the head coach to only request a time-out during a dead-ball situation.

4. Removing coaching box privileges from the head coach only when the head coach receives a direct technical foul and allowing the head coach the use of the coaching box after an indirect technical foul.

5. Returning to a bonus free throw after the seventh team foul that allows a second free throw only when the first attempt is successful and two free throws after the tenth team foul each quarter.

6. Allowing a bonus free throw after the fourth team foul that allows a second free throw only when the first attempt is successful and two free throws after the sixth team foul each quarter.

7. Awarding two free throws after the sixth team foul and resetting the team foul count at the end of each quarter.

8. Establishing goaltending when the ball contacts the backboard and any part of the ball is above the rim during a field goal attempt when the ball is touched by a player as long as it has a possibility of entering the basket.

9. Establishing basket interference when a blocked shot attempt causes the ring to shake causing an unsuccessful try for goal.

10. Eliminating the penalty for dunking during pre-game and halftime warm-ups.

11. Assessing a team technical foul for dunking during pre-game warm-ups instead of a player technical foul.

12. Using the 3-point line as the determining line for if the ball is inbounded in a team’s frontcourt from the end line or at the nearest 28-foot mark on the sideline instead of the imaginary line.

13. Requiring all frontcourt throw-ins to take place at one of the four spots used for violations, fouls and other stoppages.

14. Allowing a team to advance the ball to the 28-foot mark in the team’s frontcourt upon a time-out after a made basket, securing a rebound or a change of possession with under one minute to play in the fourth quarter or overtime period.

15. Establishing a violation when a team is inbounding the ball in the frontcourt and throws the ball into the backcourt to avoid a five-second call.

16. Establishing a violation for faking being fouled (flopping).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 15, 2024, 12:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes (The Platters, 1958) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
3. Players using face paint and/or hair glitter.
I had my first ever sighting of something like this last week in a girls game.

Everybody on the team was wearing light pastel team color eye "black".

I gave it a half of a thought for a half of a second (legal or illegal) and immediately moved on to much more important issues.

Has this become the new "thing"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Feb 15, 2024 at 05:41pm.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2024, 02:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Colour My World (Chicago, 1970) ...

Quote:
2. Requiring the visiting team jersey to be white and the home team jersey to be a contrasting dark color.
Why the 180 degree turn here?

For the past forty-three-plus years (probably longer) the home team has worn white (light color previous to 2007-08).

If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Feb 15, 2024 at 02:42pm.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2024, 02:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Banner Year ...

Quote:
Players using face paint and/or hair glitter.

Requiring the game clock to stop after a made basket in the last minute of the game and overtime.

Requiring the visiting team jersey to be white and the home team jersey to be a contrasting dark color.

Limiting the head coach to only request a time-out during a dead-ball situation.

Removing coaching box privileges from the head coach only when the head coach receives a direct technical foul and allowing the head coach the use of the coaching box after an indirect technical foul.

Establishing goaltending when the ball contacts the backboard and any part of the ball is above the rim during a field goal attempt when the ball is touched by a player as long as it has a possibility of entering the basket.

Establishing basket interference when a blocked shot attempt causes the ring to shake causing an unsuccessful try for goal.

Eliminating the penalty for dunking during pre-game and halftime warm-ups.

Using the 3-point line as the determining line for if the ball is inbounded in a team’s frontcourt from the end line or at the nearest 28-foot mark on the sideline instead of the imaginary line.

Allowing a team to advance the ball to the 28-foot mark in the team’s frontcourt upon a time-out after a made basket, securing a rebound or a change of possession with under one minute to play in the fourth quarter or overtime period.
Could be another "banner year" for rule changes coming up.

Old Thu Feb 15, 2024, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

For the past forty-three-plus years (probably longer) the home team has worn white (light color previous to 2007-08).

Some people like football / soccer rules that allow their school colors to show more at home, vs. away. I'm sure we'll see baseball / softball with the same debate.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2024, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

They want to be like the NFL and NHL. Most of the time, the home team is wearing their colors. I like it. Show your school colors for home games
Old Sat Feb 17, 2024, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

MN and NJ have the home team wearing dark for basketball. I wonder if changing from home team wears white to home team wears dark would have an effect.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2024, 01:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlasherZ View Post
Some people like football / soccer rules that allow their school colors to show more at home, vs. away. I'm sure we'll see baseball / softball with the same debate.
I cannot remember, but does baseball and softball even have a color restriction? Meaning does the home team have to wear a certain type of jersey (like white) and the visiting team has to wear something else? I do not remember this being a debate, but it has been so long since I stopped working baseball, I just did not remember. You see all kinds of colors at other levels.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 18, 2024, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I cannot remember, but does baseball and softball even have a color restriction? Meaning does the home team have to wear a certain type of jersey (like white) and the visiting team has to wear something else? I do not remember this being a debate, but it has been so long since I stopped working baseball, I just did not remember. You see all kinds of colors at other levels.

Peace
NFHS in softball just says the team's uniforms must be the same color and style. No such rule regarding home visiting teams wearing dark or light colors. We generally arent having to make judgements where having opposing colored uniforms would help us.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2024, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

MLB *traditionally* had the home team wear white, because it was hard for the V team to get the laundry done and the darker uniforms would not show as much dirt. That tradition has largely gone away.

Nos specific rule exists in FED, NCAA or MLB baseball.

Or, any volleyball rule with which I am familiar.

Or, it would seem, tennis or track or golf....
Old Sun Feb 18, 2024, 06:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
MLB *traditionally* had the home team wear white, because it was hard for the V team to get the laundry done and the darker uniforms would not show as much dirt. That tradition has largely gone away.

Nos specific rule exists in FED, NCAA or MLB baseball.

Or, any volleyball rule with which I am familiar.

Or, it would seem, tennis or track or golf....
And all those sports do not have constant contact like basketball or football which those sports have. I wonder if lacross and hockey have color rules. I am pretty sure soccer does as well.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 18, 2024, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And all those sports do not have constant contact like basketball or football which those sports have. I wonder if lacross and hockey have color rules. I am pretty sure soccer does as well.

Peace
NFHS Hockey: the rule specifies "white-/light-colored" jerseys for the home team.

2.1.2 SITUATION B: The home team's jerseys are light blue and the visiting team's jerseys are dark blue. RULING: As long as the officials can readily differentiate players of opposing teams, this is permissible. The home team should preferably wear white jerseys, but light non-white colors are permitted.

NFHS Soccer: solid white jerseys for the visiting and dark jerseys (dark is defined as any color which contrasts with white) for the home team.

NFHS Lacrosse: Jerseys shall be of contrasting colors for opposing teams. The home team shall wear light jerseys and the visiting team shall wear its dark-color jerseys. The visiting team is responsible for avoidance of similarity of colors, but, if there is doubt, the referee may require the home team to change jerseys.

Last edited by Mike Goodwin; Tue Feb 20, 2024 at 04:25pm. Reason: formatting
Old Sun Feb 18, 2024, 10:06pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

A lot of these proposed rule changes seem like they are changes for the sake of change and to justify having an annual meeting.

I'm definitely not in favor of additional changes to the team foul rule. I like it as is.

About the only changes I favor are:
  • All frontcourt throw-ins go to one of the four magic spots.
  • Using the three-point arc instead of the "rocket ship" to determine endline vs. sideline throw-ins.
  • Adding a flop warning (if that's what the proposed penalty would be).

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Feb 29, 2024, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
When I played baseball in high school 20 years ago, we got one jersey and one pair of pants. Would have loved to have home and away jerseys though
Old Thu Feb 29, 2024, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
A lot of these proposed rule changes seem like they are changes for the sake of change and to justify having an annual meeting.

I'm definitely not in favor of additional changes to the team foul rule. I like it as is.

About the only changes I favor are:
  • All frontcourt throw-ins go to one of the four magic spots.
  • Using the three-point arc instead of the "rocket ship" to determine endline vs. sideline throw-ins.
  • Adding a flop warning (if that's what the proposed penalty would be).
For the last few years when I've filled out the questionnaire I've asked if not begged for a flop warning.