The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 07, 2024, 10:28pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Administrative Technical Fouls

IAABO no longer supplies members with the FED rulebook, so I have not seen an actual rulebook in the last two seasons. In this season's IAABO Handbook, there's a case play about Administrative Ts. The situation is: Team A adds a name to the scorebook with 9 minutes left in pre-game warm-ups. Then 4 minutes later, Team B changes the number of one of its designated starters.

The ruling states that "Since the penalties offset, neither team is awarded free throws".

I looked at the '20-'21 book and I can't find a corresponding case play; and the PENALTY section of 10-1 doesn't mention that these would be categorized as simultaneous fouls.

Have I just forgotten an obvious rule or case that says any time both teams commit an equal number of pre-game administrative fouls, that they offset? I feel like this is something that I really should know, but I'm drawing a total blank.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2024, 11:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Isn't the Handbook with the rules and mechanics?

Peace
Old Mon Jan 08, 2024, 12:10am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
IAABO no longer supplies members with the FED rulebook, so I have not seen an actual rulebook in the last two seasons. In this season's IAABO Handbook, there's a case play about Administrative Ts. The situation is: Team A adds a name to the scorebook with 9 minutes left in pre-game warm-ups. Then 4 minutes later, Team B changes the number of one of its designated starters.

The ruling states that "Since the penalties offset, neither team is awarded free throws".

I looked at the '20-'21 book and I can't find a corresponding case play; and the PENALTY section of 10-1 doesn't mention that these would be categorized as simultaneous fouls.

Have I just forgotten an obvious rule or case that says any time both teams commit an equal number of pre-game administrative fouls, that they offset? I feel like this is something that I really should know, but I'm drawing a total blank.

Per NFHS Case Book Ruling or Rules Interpretation (I do not have my books in front of me.) Administrative TFs during the Pre-Game Period (and I am also going to say Halftime because I have not seen a Ruling for such a Situation during Haĺftime but I would consider the Pre-Game Period the same as an Inermission which is what Halftime is considered) are considered to be Double Fouls, not False Double Fouls.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 08, 2024, 08:49am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Per NFHS Case Book Ruling or Rules Interpretation (I do not have my books in front of me.) Administrative TFs during the Pre-Game Period (and I am also going to say Halftime because I have not seen a Ruling for such a Situation during Haĺftime but I would consider the Pre-Game Period the same as an Inermission which is what Halftime is considered) are considered to be Double Fouls, not False Double Fouls.

MTD, Sr.
I think so, too, but I need a reference if you can dig out your book.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2024, 08:55am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Isn't the Handbook with the rules and mechanics?

Peace
IAABO produces its own Handbook now because they no longer have a contract with NFHS to reproduce the FED rulebook. We used to get the official NFHS Rulebook and Casebook, but that became too expensive, I guess.

So IAABO is producing a "rules guide" which includes play scenarios, but does not directly quote the FED's books. The Handbook even includes a disclaimer at the front that essentially says that it's not the complete rule book.

IAABO has been writing its own mechanics manual for years, and that is also included in the Handbook.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2024, 12:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Order From NFHS ...

Quote:
So IAABO is producing a "rules guide" which includes play scenarios, but does not directly quote the FED's books. The Handbook even includes a disclaimer at the front that essentially says that it's not the complete rule book.
Last two years I ordered my own NFHS rulebook and NFHS casebook from the NFHS.

With shipping, cost me $37 for the most recent copies.

I declare it on my income tax as as business expense and at least I won't have to pay any income tax on it.

I highly recommend my accountants:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 08, 2024 at 12:48pm.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2024, 12:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Somewhere Out There ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Per NFHS Case Book Ruling or Rules Interpretation ... Administrative TFs during the Pre-Game Period ... are considered to be Double Fouls, not False Double Fouls.
Agree with Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. on both his interpretation, and that there exists, somewhere out there, a case book ruling, or an annual interpretation.

But I can't find it.

How about little help from Nevadaref, the "Interpretation King"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Jan 08, 2024, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

We discussed this in Dec 2016.

3.4.3 SITUATION C: Starter, A1, has brought the wrong uniform and with eight minutes on the clock prior to the start of the game, switches with A15 and now is wearing a legal jersey but a new number. With two minutes on the clock prior to the start of the game, it is discovered that starter, B1, is wearing a different jersey than indicated in the scorebook. It is confirmed that a wrong number was provided to the official scorer and a change is made to reflect the correct number in the scorebook. RULING: Both Team A and B are charged with an administrative technical foul for changing a number in the scorebook and will begin the game with one team foul toward the bonus. No free throws are awarded and the game will begin at the point of interruption, which is the opening jump ball. COMMENT: When each team is assessed one technical foul prior to the game, a double technical foul has occurred, as this is considered "approximately the same time." (4- 19-8b, 4-36-2c, 10-1-2) (See 6.4.1 SITUATION A)

TECHNICAL BEFORE QUARTER STARTS
6.4.1 SITUATION A: Twelve minutes before the game is scheduled to start, team member A1 dunks the ball and is charged with a technical foul. B1 is discovered to be wearing an illegal jersey, as the players prepare for the start of the game. RULING: The game will be started by awarding Team B two free throws for A1’s technical foul. Team A will then be given two free throws and the ball for a division-line throw-in for B1’s infraction. When the thrower of Team A has the ball for the throw-in, they have control for purposes of establishing the alternating possession procedure and the arrow
is immediately set toward B’s basket. Team B will have the first opportunity for an alternating-possession throw-in. (4-3)

=========================
So what is the difference? Why offset the technicals in the first scenario and not award any FTs, but shoot all four in the second play ruling?
The best rationale that we could determine was that in the first situation both infractions were Team technical fouls for something administrative and not charged to any individual (head coach or team member). So the NFHS wants those to offset and the game to begin with a jump ball.
However, in play ruling 6.4.1 the infractions result in technical fouls which are charged to individuals (the team member who dunked and directly to the Head Coach for allowing an illegal uniform), so those technicals do not offset and the FTs are administered in the order in which the fouls occurred and possession is awarded without a jump ball.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2024, 09:33pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Thank you, sir! I knew we'd talked about it, but I couldn't find the references. Are these case plays still in the NFHS Casebook?
Old Mon Jan 08, 2024, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

I know the app sucks but you can get the rules and casebooks for all NFHS sports through the NFHS All Access app.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2024, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you, sir! I knew we'd talked about it, but I couldn't find the references. Are these case plays still in the NFHS Casebook?
Yes, both are in the 2023-24 NFHS Case Book.
I hope that you are well and have a great 2024!
Old Tue Jan 09, 2024, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
We discussed this in Dec 2016.

3.4.3 SITUATION C: Starter, A1, has brought the wrong uniform and with eight minutes on the clock prior to the start of the game, switches with A15 and now is wearing a legal jersey but a new number. With two minutes on the clock prior to the start of the game, it is discovered that starter, B1, is wearing a different jersey than indicated in the scorebook. It is confirmed that a wrong number was provided to the official scorer and a change is made to reflect the correct number in the scorebook. RULING: Both Team A and B are charged with an administrative technical foul for changing a number in the scorebook and will begin the game with one team foul toward the bonus. No free throws are awarded and the game will begin at the point of interruption, which is the opening jump ball. COMMENT: When each team is assessed one technical foul prior to the game, a double technical foul has occurred, as this is considered "approximately the same time." (4- 19-8b, 4-36-2c, 10-1-2) (See 6.4.1 SITUATION A)

TECHNICAL BEFORE QUARTER STARTS
6.4.1 SITUATION A: Twelve minutes before the game is scheduled to start, team member A1 dunks the ball and is charged with a technical foul. B1 is discovered to be wearing an illegal jersey, as the players prepare for the start of the game. RULING: The game will be started by awarding Team B two free throws for A1’s technical foul. Team A will then be given two free throws and the ball for a division-line throw-in for B1’s infraction. When the thrower of Team A has the ball for the throw-in, they have control for purposes of establishing the alternating possession procedure and the arrow
is immediately set toward B’s basket. Team B will have the first opportunity for an alternating-possession throw-in. (4-3)

=========================
So what is the difference? Why offset the technicals in the first scenario and not award any FTs, but shoot all four in the second play ruling?
The best rationale that we could determine was that in the first situation both infractions were Team technical fouls for something administrative and not charged to any individual (head coach or team member). So the NFHS wants those to offset and the game to begin with a jump ball.
However, in play ruling 6.4.1 the infractions result in technical fouls which are charged to individuals (the team member who dunked and directly to the Head Coach for allowing an illegal uniform), so those technicals do not offset and the FTs are administered in the order in which the fouls occurred and possession is awarded without a jump ball.
We can add this casebook play to the list of pre-game technical fouls that do not offset, as these would also be charged to individual team members just like in 6.4.1 Sit A.

6.4.1 SITUATION F: A team member of Team A is detected dunking about five minutes before the game and a team member of B does the same thing about a minute later.

RULING: The game will start with administration of the technical-foul free throws in the order in which the fouls were called. Team B shoots first followed by Team A. Team A will then be given the ball for a throw-in at the division line opposite the table. When the thrower of Team A is bounced the ball or it is placed at Team A's disposal, the possession arrow will be set pointing toward Team B's basket. (4-3, 7-5-6a)
Old Tue Jan 09, 2024, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
We can add this casebook play to the list of pre-game technical fouls that do not offset, as these would also be charged to individual team members just like in 6.4.1 Sit A.

6.4.1 SITUATION F: A team member of Team A is detected dunking about five minutes before the game and a team member of B does the same thing about a minute later.

RULING: The game will start with administration of the technical-foul free throws in the order in which the fouls were called. Team B shoots first followed by Team A. Team A will then be given the ball for a throw-in at the division line opposite the table. When the thrower of Team A is bounced the ball or it is placed at Team A's disposal, the possession arrow will be set pointing toward Team B's basket. (4-3, 7-5-6a)
Is this right? I was expecting the arrow to be set when Team B received the ball for the FT, meaning Team A gets the ball to start the game AND the arrow. This is more fair, but is not the ruling I was expecting.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2024, 12:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thank You ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
How about little help from Nevadaref, the "Interpretation King"?
Quote:
3.4.3 SITUATION C: COMMENT: When each team is assessed one technical foul prior to the game, a double technical foul has occurred, as this is considered "approximately the same time."
I knew that we could count on Nevadaref. Thank you.

Old Tue Jan 09, 2024, 12:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

There's No I In Team ...

Quote:
3.4.3 SITUATION C: COMMENT: When each TEAM is assessed one technical foul prior to the game, a double technical foul has occurred, as this is considered "approximately the same time." (4- 19-8b, 4-36-2c, 10-1-2) (See 6.4.1 SITUATION A)

The best rationale that we could determine was that in the first situation both infractions were team technical fouls for something administrative and not charged to any individual ...
Agree, it's right there in the casebook play.