The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 10, 2023, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

New Rule 7-6-6 Throw-in Administration

If they allow time to be restored when the official has direct knowledge, then why don't they mention it in the rule. They don't even mention it in the Case book play. The only spot you see it is on page 4 of the Case Book. The very beginning, "Comments on the 2023-024 Revisions". Next year it will be missing.
Also, did you know that if you are correcting the throw-in. You go back to the original Throw-in location. A true 'Do-Over'.
Old Wed Oct 11, 2023, 10:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

Citation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Also, did you know that if you are correcting the throw-in. You go back to the original Throw-in location. A true 'Do-Over'.
I haven't gotten my new rule book and case book.

Really?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Oct 11, 2023, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I haven't gotten my new rule book and case book.

Really?
Do you have access to 'NFHS All Access'?
If you get an IAABO Handbook, then you will also see wording about correcting the time and moving back to the original Throw-in location
Old Wed Oct 11, 2023, 03:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Handbook ...

Quote:
If you get an IAABO Handbook, then you will also see wording about correcting the time and moving back to the original Throw-in location
We get our IAABO Handbooks next week.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Oct 16, 2023, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Some IAABO board in Maine just put out a new rules video and it confirmed what the OP states. Indeed a true do-over. I don’t think even IAABO would so boldly pronounce this without qualified inside knowledge from NFHS.

But why so vague in the new rules/case books is a mystery to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Oct 16, 2023, 12:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

So Goes Maine, So Goes The Nation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Some IAABO board in Maine just put out a new rules video and it confirmed what the OP states. Indeed a true do-over. I don’t think even IAABO would so boldly pronounce this without qualified inside knowledge from NFHS.
Let's be careful here. This would not be the first time IAABO overstepped its bounds by prematurely making an interpretation before the NFHS.

Last time was in 2014-15 when the NFHS changed from "hit" to "release" on free throws and IAABO interpreted the "limitations" on marked lane space defenders crossing the free throw line into the semicircle a full year before the NFHS weighed in with a rule update (as it tuned out IAABO and the NFHS had the same interpretation, the NFHS was just delayed by one year).

Oddly, the premature interpretation was made by the IAABO International interpreter who was also the state interpreter in Maine, The Pine Tree State

Of course, now IAABO "technically" no longer uses NFHS rules and caseplays, they publish their own rules and "caseplays" (actually call it something else) in their self published IAABO Manual.

In regard to rules questions, the CIAC in Connecticut has actually stated that Connecticut high schools will use "IAABO rules" since Connecticut is a 100% IAABO state.

If IAABO unilaterally decided that a field goal made from behind the division line is four points, then it will worth four points in an IAABO game in Connecticut.

I find this to be quite odd, especially since all Connecticut IAABO members were forced to join the NFHS through the CIAC this new year and $17 was added to our local IAABO dues.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 26, 2023 at 05:09pm.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2023, 11:03am
Esteemed Forum Member

An Actual Do Over In Basketball ???

Quote:
If they allow time to be restored when the official has direct knowledge, then why don't they mention it in the rule. They don't even mention it in the Case book play. Also, did you know that if you are correcting the throw-in. You go back to the original Throw-in location. A true 'Do-Over'.
Quote:
... wording about correcting the time and moving back to the original Throw-in location
Quote:
Some IAABO board in Maine just put out a new rules video and it confirmed what the OP states. Indeed a true do-over.
We had our local Interpretation (New Rules) Meeting last night.

Regarding the wrong team getting a throwin being correctable until a dead ball or a change of possession, we were told that the correct team will get the throwin back at original spot (not the point of interruption) and time consumed may be reset if officials have definite knowledge.

Keep in mind that that Connecticut is a 100% IAABO state using IAABO "rules" and "interpretations", however almost everything is based on NFHS rules and interruptions.

Quote:
I don’t think even IAABO would so boldly pronounce this without qualified inside knowledge from NFHS.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 19, 2023 at 11:06am.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2023, 11:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Pre Game Card ...

Quote:
Keep in mind that that Connecticut is a 100% IAABO state using IAABO "rules" and "interpretations", however almost everything is based on NFHS rules and interruptions.

Old Tue Oct 24, 2023, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

Putting time back

Quote:
So if you can put time back for this correctable error, why can't we do it for the other correctable errors if we have definite knowledge and it is within the time frame?
Old Tue Oct 24, 2023, 06:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefaceref View Post
So if you can put time back for this correctable error, why can't we do it for the other correctable errors if we have definite knowledge and it is within the time frame?
This isn't a Correctable Error
Old Tue Oct 24, 2023, 07:17am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefaceref View Post
Because the rule book says we can't?