The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA Tournament video request thread (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105965-ncaa-tournament-video-request-thread.html)

Nevadaref Thu Mar 16, 2023 06:28pm

NCAA Tournament video request thread

Let’s put all requests for video clips from the tournament in this thread to make it as simple as possible for our video guys.

I’ll start with the first one.
Duke v Oral Roberts 13:00 remaining in the first half. After the steal by Duke did a very unusual backcourt violation occur?

Nevadaref Thu Mar 16, 2023 08:38pm

Boise State v Northwestern
27 seconds left in the game.
Is there a violation by the FT shooter?

JRutledge Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1050361)
Let’s put all requests for video clips from the tournament in this thread to make it as simple as possible for our video guys.

I’ll start with the first one.
Duke v Oral Roberts 13:00 remaining in the first half. After the steal by Duke did a very unusual backcourt violation occur?

Do you mean him throwing the ball of the back of a teammate? If that is what you are talking about, he did not throw the ball off the teammate that was in the FC.

Peace

JRutledge Fri Mar 17, 2023 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1050365)
Boise State v Northwestern
27 seconds left in the game.
Is there a violation by the FT shooter?

Honestly, no. Now the broadcast did not help because they cut to a shot of the FT shooter (as they do) and he almost immediately threw the ball to the basket. You do not see the flight of the ball at all and see contact with the backboard at least and he is behind the line. Actually takes two steps from behind the line, then beats everyone to the ball.

I know the NW coach complained and suggested there was a violation, but it was not for coming across the line too early. If anything it might have been for not hitting the rim, but that is not something we can prove based on the broadcast view.

Peace

Matt S. Fri Mar 17, 2023 02:01pm

Roger Ayers clip (USC/MSU)

Can someone please post (or describe) the interaction on the CBS broadcast late in the MSU/USC game...there were several shots of Roger Ayers, and it looked like he was talking with the announcers. I was watching the game without any sound or captioning and was curious.

Nevadaref Fri Mar 17, 2023 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1050368)
Do you mean him throwing the ball of the back of a teammate? If that is what you are talking about, he did not throw the ball off the teammate that was in the FC.

Peace

Yes, if the teammate had made it to the fc, then this was illegal. It happened too fast for me to tell on TV. Never saw a replay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1050369)
Honestly, no. Now the broadcast did not help because they cut to a shot of the FT shooter (as they do) and he almost immediately threw the ball to the basket. You do not see the flight of the ball at all and see contact with the backboard at least and he is behind the line. Actually takes two steps from behind the line, then beats everyone to the ball.

I know the NW coach complained and suggested there was a violation, but it was not for coming across the line too early. If anything it might have been for not hitting the rim, but that is not something we can prove based on the broadcast view.

Peace

This play covers a few aspects that we have discussed. Intentional miss, line-drive try, crossing the line when the ball strikes the backboard, ball contacting the ring later. Thought that it would be good for an instructional clip.

Nevadaref Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:04pm

Right after the final horn in Memphis v FAU, the head coach for Memphis, Anfernee Hardway throws a water bottle towards the end of the court. It sails over the head the of the nearest official and he seems to get hit with water in his face.
There should be some punishment (fine or suspension) coming for this behavior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMEAzZXOahQ

JRutledge Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1050372)
Yes, if the teammate had made it to the fc, then this was illegal. It happened too fast for me to tell on TV. Never saw a replay.

I see why this would raise an issue. He never got to the FC. Bad pass that hit the teammate in the back and came right back to him. It was rather obvious but unusual. I see why it was requested.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1050372)
This play covers a few aspects that we have discussed. Intentional miss, line-drive try, crossing the line when the ball strikes the backboard, ball contacting the ring later. Thought that it would be good for an instructional clip.

I might actually post this play. But I really had to slop this down and caught the cut of the video where he was behind the line. It was a topic for the NW coaching staff to the officials.

Peace

JRutledge Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1050375)
Right after the final horn in Memphis v FAU, the head coach for Memphis, Anfernee Hardway throws a water bottle towards the end of the court. It sails over the head the of the nearest official and he seems to get hit with water in his face.
There should be some punishment (fine or suspension) coming for this behavior.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LMEAzZXOahQ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very inappropriate when I saw this the first time. Did not know he hit the officials standing there with the fluid.

It will be overlooked as many things.

Peace

Nevadaref Sat Mar 18, 2023 02:23pm

Duke v Tennessee: first half, about 14 minutes remaining (I apologize for not having the time as I was listening to the game instead of watching.)
Player control foul goes to a monitor review. The official tells the broadcast crew that it is not an F1 as the ball struck the opponent. My question is why is this a foul at all?

JRutledge Sat Mar 18, 2023 03:39pm

Duke v. Tennessee.

8:27 second half. Charge called on Duke player drive to basket. Discussion of the legality of this play.

Peace

Zoochy Sat Mar 18, 2023 05:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1050383)
Duke v. Tennessee.

8:27 second half. Charge called on Duke player drive to basket. Discussion of the legality of this play.

Peace

Facing the player. Two feet down. Moved laterally. Defense DID NOT do anything wrong. Good Call.

JRutledge Sat Mar 18, 2023 05:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 1050386)
Facing the player. Two feet down. Moved laterally. Defense DID NOT do anything wrong. Good Call.

I agree. Reminder to myself to show this.

Peace

SC Official Sat Mar 18, 2023 05:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1050381)
Duke v Tennessee: first half, about 14 minutes remaining (I apologize for not having the time as I was listening to the game instead of watching.)
Player control foul goes to a monitor review. The official tells the broadcast crew that it is not an F1 as the ball struck the opponent. My question is why is this a foul at all?

You can't take away a common foul at the monitor.

jmwking Sat Mar 18, 2023 06:23pm

That game reminded me of the Bill Laimbeer era in Detroit. :eek: