The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 16, 2023, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Tournament video request thread

Let’s put all requests for video clips from the tournament in this thread to make it as simple as possible for our video guys.

I’ll start with the first one.
Duke v Oral Roberts 13:00 remaining in the first half. After the steal by Duke did a very unusual backcourt violation occur?
Old Thu Mar 16, 2023, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Boise State v Northwestern
27 seconds left in the game.
Is there a violation by the FT shooter?
Old Fri Mar 17, 2023, 12:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Let’s put all requests for video clips from the tournament in this thread to make it as simple as possible for our video guys.

I’ll start with the first one.
Duke v Oral Roberts 13:00 remaining in the first half. After the steal by Duke did a very unusual backcourt violation occur?
Do you mean him throwing the ball of the back of a teammate? If that is what you are talking about, he did not throw the ball off the teammate that was in the FC.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 17, 2023, 01:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Boise State v Northwestern
27 seconds left in the game.
Is there a violation by the FT shooter?
Honestly, no. Now the broadcast did not help because they cut to a shot of the FT shooter (as they do) and he almost immediately threw the ball to the basket. You do not see the flight of the ball at all and see contact with the backboard at least and he is behind the line. Actually takes two steps from behind the line, then beats everyone to the ball.

I know the NW coach complained and suggested there was a violation, but it was not for coming across the line too early. If anything it might have been for not hitting the rim, but that is not something we can prove based on the broadcast view.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 17, 2023, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Roger Ayers clip (USC/MSU)

Can someone please post (or describe) the interaction on the CBS broadcast late in the MSU/USC game...there were several shots of Roger Ayers, and it looked like he was talking with the announcers. I was watching the game without any sound or captioning and was curious.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2023, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Do you mean him throwing the ball of the back of a teammate? If that is what you are talking about, he did not throw the ball off the teammate that was in the FC.

Peace
Yes, if the teammate had made it to the fc, then this was illegal. It happened too fast for me to tell on TV. Never saw a replay.

Quote:
Honestly, no. Now the broadcast did not help because they cut to a shot of the FT shooter (as they do) and he almost immediately threw the ball to the basket. You do not see the flight of the ball at all and see contact with the backboard at least and he is behind the line. Actually takes two steps from behind the line, then beats everyone to the ball.

I know the NW coach complained and suggested there was a violation, but it was not for coming across the line too early. If anything it might have been for not hitting the rim, but that is not something we can prove based on the broadcast view.

Peace
This play covers a few aspects that we have discussed. Intentional miss, line-drive try, crossing the line when the ball strikes the backboard, ball contacting the ring later. Thought that it would be good for an instructional clip.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2023, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Right after the final horn in Memphis v FAU, the head coach for Memphis, Anfernee Hardway throws a water bottle towards the end of the court. It sails over the head the of the nearest official and he seems to get hit with water in his face.
There should be some punishment (fine or suspension) coming for this behavior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMEAzZXOahQ

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sat Mar 18, 2023 at 12:09am.
Old Sat Mar 18, 2023, 11:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yes, if the teammate had made it to the fc, then this was illegal. It happened too fast for me to tell on TV. Never saw a replay.
I see why this would raise an issue. He never got to the FC. Bad pass that hit the teammate in the back and came right back to him. It was rather obvious but unusual. I see why it was requested.

Quote:
This play covers a few aspects that we have discussed. Intentional miss, line-drive try, crossing the line when the ball strikes the backboard, ball contacting the ring later. Thought that it would be good for an instructional clip.
I might actually post this play. But I really had to slop this down and caught the cut of the video where he was behind the line. It was a topic for the NW coaching staff to the officials.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 18, 2023, 11:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Right after the final horn in Memphis v FAU, the head coach for Memphis, Anfernee Hardway throws a water bottle towards the end of the court. It sails over the head the of the nearest official and he seems to get hit with water in his face.
There should be some punishment (fine or suspension) coming for this behavior.
Very inappropriate when I saw this the first time. Did not know he hit the officials standing there with the fluid.

It will be overlooked as many things.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 18, 2023, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Duke v Tennessee: first half, about 14 minutes remaining (I apologize for not having the time as I was listening to the game instead of watching.)
Player control foul goes to a monitor review. The official tells the broadcast crew that it is not an F1 as the ball struck the opponent. My question is why is this a foul at all?
Old Sat Mar 18, 2023, 03:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Duke v. Tennessee.

8:27 second half. Charge called on Duke player drive to basket. Discussion of the legality of this play.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 18, 2023, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Duke v. Tennessee.

8:27 second half. Charge called on Duke player drive to basket. Discussion of the legality of this play.

Peace
Facing the player. Two feet down. Moved laterally. Defense DID NOT do anything wrong. Good Call.
Old Sat Mar 18, 2023, 05:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Facing the player. Two feet down. Moved laterally. Defense DID NOT do anything wrong. Good Call.
I agree. Reminder to myself to show this.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 18, 2023, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Duke v Tennessee: first half, about 14 minutes remaining (I apologize for not having the time as I was listening to the game instead of watching.)
Player control foul goes to a monitor review. The official tells the broadcast crew that it is not an F1 as the ball struck the opponent. My question is why is this a foul at all?
You can't take away a common foul at the monitor.
Old Sat Mar 18, 2023, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

That game reminded me of the Bill Laimbeer era in Detroit.