The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 20, 2023, 10:43am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN View Post
Correct. Wondering why the ball was given to Marquette, unless it was simply that the official thought it was last touched by a Michigan State player…
Just watched it. There were two opponents close together, but MSU-22 tips the ball up through the basket.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Mon Mar 20, 2023, 01:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Duke v Tennessee: first half, about 14 minutes remaining (I apologize for not having the time as I was listening to the game instead of watching.)
Player control foul goes to a monitor review. The official tells the broadcast crew that it is not an F1 as the ball struck the opponent. My question is why is this a foul at all?
The play happened at 14:09. The play appeared to be contact with the ball. I think the officials was looking behind the play and saw that the was hit in the face. But it appears the only contact with the offensive player would have been the ball. I think this was about an angle and the result. Which we have to be careful to guess. But totally understand why it was called.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 20, 2023, 02:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S. View Post
Can someone please post (or describe) the interaction on the CBS broadcast late in the MSU/USC game...there were several shots of Roger Ayers, and it looked like he was talking with the announcers. I was watching the game without any sound or captioning and was curious.
Apparently, Rodgers' daughter was diagnosed with cancer. Not sure of the severity or the circumstances, but it appears this was talked about during the ACC Tournament where officials wore pink whistles and lanyards. I have never heard the full story or when this was known, but it appears that is the reason they are talking about them. There are some articles, some, unless you subscribe, cannot read them. So that is the best I can figure out at this time. I tend to hear part of never hear the entire story when I watch the games.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 20, 2023, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
How long? You tell us because there's nothing in the rulebook or a manual that tells us.
Sorry to be late getting back to this. The last few years, the NCAA lists as a "Major Officiating Concern" a desire to "reduce physicality to allow freedom of movement." The Tenn-Duke game didn't seem to follow that guidance.
Old Tue Mar 21, 2023, 10:23am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwking View Post
Sorry to be late getting back to this. The last few years, the NCAA lists as a "Major Officiating Concern" a desire to "reduce physicality to allow freedom of movement." The Tenn-Duke game didn't seem to follow that guidance.
There was a lot of attacking the basket. I saw nothing in that game of what I saw that was out of the ordinary. And the officiating directives have been basically the same for 5 or more years.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 21, 2023, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And yet, 2/3 officials from that game advanced. So clearly someone was happy with their work.
Old Tue Mar 21, 2023, 02:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
And yet, 2/3 officials from that game advanced. So clearly someone was happy with their work.
As someone who has had an inside look at tournament advancement at a lower level, that doesn't necessarily mean those officials had a great 1st weekend.
Old Tue Mar 21, 2023, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As someone who has had an inside look at tournament advancement at a lower level, that doesn't necessarily mean those officials had a great 1st weekend.
The politics of conference representation is a component of who advances. Take a look on how many primary BE & ACC along with "P12, MWC, WCC" (all same consortium) guys moved on. From what I heard, the ACC and B10 was going to have a low number of guys advance and some "behind the scene" influential people changed that.
Old Tue Mar 21, 2023, 06:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
The politics of conference representation is a component of who advances. Take a look on how many primary BE & ACC along with "P12, MWC, WCC" (all same consortium) guys moved on. From what I heard, the ACC and B10 was going to have a low number of guys advance and some "behind the scene" influential people changed that.
The problem with even trying to parse this out, is that most of these officials work in multiple leagues and consortiums. Maybe who is their primary matter, but guys like Keith Kimble works in about 5 major conferences. I believe the Big 12 is his primary, but he was working B1G, SEC, ACC, and even Pac 12 games at some point just this season. Roger Ayers works in the ACC but saw him in B1G, Big 12, and Big East games (as well as others). Some of these guys are so spread out that all we know is that they are working in those conferences every night.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 22, 2023, 09:05am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I sent you a private message.
Old Wed Mar 22, 2023, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
http://<iframe width="560" height="3...reen></iframe>

Is this really a one in a million event? I've had a least two of these in forty-three years.

How long do we wait?

Once in 15 years for me.

I feel like I’m due for another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu Mar 23, 2023, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just watched it. There were two opponents close together, but MSU-22 tips the ball up through the basket.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thanks! I had only had the one look and thought Marquette touched it last.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2023, 08:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Boise State v Northwestern
27 seconds left in the game.
Is there a violation by the FT shooter?

Peace
Old Thu Mar 23, 2023, 08:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Duke v Tennessee: first half, about 14 minutes remaining (I apologize for not having the time as I was listening to the game instead of watching.)
Player control foul goes to a monitor review. The official tells the broadcast crew that it is not an F1 as the ball struck the opponent. My question is why is this a foul at all?

Peace
Old Thu Mar 23, 2023, 08:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Duke v. Tennessee.

8:27 second half. Charge called on Duke player drive to basket. Discussion of the legality of this play.

Peace

Peace