The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 06, 2000, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

This situation has happned three times in a league I officiate on Sunday evening.
Can a defender legally touch a ball that has hit the backboard and is still on it's upward flight and is not in or or the ring?
Follow-up can he pin or trap any ball on the backboard under those same conditions. My search for definitive rule book or casebook has been fruitless.

Question two.
On a throw-in. Is it a violation for the ball to hit the bottom of the backboard? My search in rule and casebook tell me that it can hit the front or side of the backboard and be ok but it doesn't specifically state the bottom.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2000, 08:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL
This situation has happned three times in a league I officiate on Sunday evening.
Can a defender legally touch a ball that has hit the backboard and is still on it's upward flight and is not in or or the ring?
Follow-up can he pin or trap any ball on the backboard under those same conditions. My search for definitive rule book or casebook has been fruitless.

Question two.
On a throw-in. Is it a violation for the ball to hit the bottom of the backboard? My search in rule and casebook tell me that it can hit the front or side of the backboard and be ok but it doesn't specifically state the bottom.
MOFFICIAL,
it's legal to block a ball on its upward flight.Rule 9.11
Its legal to trap a ball against the backboard on its upward flight. Rule 9.11
The bottom of the backboard is in bounds.Rule 7.2c

In these rules, the illegal actions are emphasized, while the many possible legal actions seem to be ignored. None of the actions which you enumerated were listed as illegal.
mick

[Edited by mick on Nov 7th, 2000 at 05:37 AM]
Old Mon Nov 06, 2000, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Question two.

No, it is not a violation for the ball to hit the bottom of the board. It is a violation if it hits the back of the board. Sometimes it's difficult to tell if it hits the back or the bottom. My rule of thumb is that if the ball bounds back toward the baseline, it's hit the back of the board, not the bottom.

Thanks for letting me answer that one, mick.