The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 20, 2023, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well the rule does not say just slapping the backboard, the slapping as to influence the ball not going in and I have called that a couple of times myself and seen it called in my games. Also as said seen it a few times on TV. So it does happen, just not very often.

Peace
If you're talking about NFHS rules, that is not correct. The slapping of the backboard rules makes no mention of whether it has an actual impact on the shot or not. It is illegal if a shot is in flight.

The rule is a bit ambiguous, but not so far as to imply it has to affect the shot.
b. Intentionally slapping or striking the backboard or causing the ring to vibrate while a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket.
The only thing that is ambiguous is whether the red part applies to both the blue and green phrases or just the green phrase.

Either way, it only has to occur when there is a potential for it to have an effect, not that it actually does.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2023, 02:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If you're talking about NFHS rules, that is not correct. The slapping of the backboard rules makes no mention of whether it has an actual impact on the shot or not. It is illegal if a shot is in flight.

The rule is a bit ambiguous, but not so far as to imply it has to affect the shot.
b. Intentionally slapping or striking the backboard or causing the ring to vibrate while a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket.
The only thing that is ambiguous is whether the red part applies to both the blue and green phrases or just the green phrase.

Either way, it only has to occur when there is a potential for it to have an effect, not that it actually does.
I was not referencing high school at all. I was referencing the comment that the rule at the NCAA allows you to count a basket for slapping the backboard. The NF rule does not have GT or BI as part of the rule.

Peace