The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 11, 2023, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Question End of Quarter - Backboard Lights

Shooting foul is called as time for 1st quarter runs out, shooter gets 2 free throws, clock shows 0:00, red light on backboard is on. Since the quarter does end until after the 2 free throws, should the red light be turned off or left on? Only way I know of doing this is to reset the game clock for the next quarter. I think the light should be off but I can not find a rule reference or case book play for this. Any help out there?
Old Wed Jan 11, 2023, 11:30am
Courageous When Prudent

I think it is inconsequential.

The game clock should not be reset until all action from previous period has concluded.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 11, 2023, 11:30am
Do not give a damn!!

This is not addressed. Don't know of anything that addresses this situation. That being said why do you need to turn off the light by only resetting it to the new time? But if you have a foul and time was on the clock, why not put time on the clock? I have a few questions before we worry about the light.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 11, 2023, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I think it is inconsequential.

The game clock should not be reset until all action from previous period has concluded.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I agree the game clock should not be reset, but shooting team complained about the light, they missed the 1st free throw, they complained again, then the time clock operator reset it without asking us, then they made the next free throw. We said leave the clock the way it is
Old Wed Jan 11, 2023, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is not addressed. Don't know of anything that addresses this situation. That being said why do you need to turn off the light by only resetting it to the new time? But if you have a foul and time was on the clock, why not put time on the clock? I have a few questions before we worry about the light.

Peace
Not sure any other way to only turn red light off but leave 0:00 on the clock, the clock at 0:00 does not signal end of quarter, red light does that.
Rule 5-6-2-3, that is why we didn't put time back on the clock.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2023, 11:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggr View Post
I agree the game clock should not be reset, but shooting team complained about the light, they missed the 1st free throw, they complained again, then the time clock operator reset it without asking us, then they made the next free throw. We said leave the clock the way it is
Unless we have operated the clock, I have no idea how the light and the clock works in conjunction.

And if you cannot remove the light independently of the clock reading 0:00, do not know how to solve this issue. Because the clock should be at 0:00 unless you are going to put time on the clock because of the timing of the foul.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 11, 2023, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unless we have operated the clock, I have no idea how the light and the clock works in conjunction.

And if you cannot remove the light independently of the clock reading 0:00, do not know how to solve this issue. Because the clock should be at 0:00 unless you are going to put time on the clock because of the timing of the foul.

Peace
Makes sense to me & what we thought when it happened, clock operator just put us in a bad situation
Old Wed Jan 11, 2023, 12:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sunglasses At Night (Corey Hart, 1984) ...

We've only got a few high schools with these lights. Very, very bright. I would hate to shoot free throws toward these lights.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 11, 2023, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggr View Post
Shooting foul is called as time for 1st quarter runs out, shooter gets 2 free throws, clock shows 0:00, red light on backboard is on. Since the quarter does end until after the 2 free throws, should the red light be turned off or left on? Only way I know of doing this is to reset the game clock for the next quarter. I think the light should be off but I can not find a rule reference or case book play for this. Any help out there?
What happens if you turn the clock off (on the hand switch)? What happens if you set (or re-set) the clock to 0:00?

In any event, I am doing something to get the lights off before the FTs (and we will then ignore any clock display)
Old Wed Jan 11, 2023, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What happens if you turn the clock off (on the hand switch)? What happens if you set (or re-set) the clock to 0:00?
Obviously it's dependent on scoreboard models.

My expertise comes with Nevco boards, where setting time to 0:00:00.0 will turn out the EOP lights, since they turn on only when clock is in motion, hits full zeros, and horn sounds.

But you'll likely have to tell the clock operator to do that.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2023, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Do whatever it takes to get the light off. The FT shooter should not have to shoot at a backboard that is lit up abnormally. If that means setting the clock for the next Q, do it. There is nothing that requires the scoreboard/clock to show anything specific at any time.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2023, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But if you have a foul and time was on the clock, why not put time on the clock?
He never said time was on the clock. For all we know, the foul was on an airborne shooter after time expired but where the ball was released in time.

Generally speaking, if we have definite information, sure we can put some time back on. But if the ball was released in the last 0.2s or so and I couldn’t turn my focus to the clock in time to observe something >0, let’s remember that 5-6-2 applies in NFHS games. We all know the expectation is different in college. That doesn’t necessarily mean we should transplant college practices into HS games. That would be like calling BI for a backboard slap in HS (another bad habit that college officials bring into HS games).

BTW, my experience with backboard lights is that usually the red light turns off on its own after a few seconds (although maybe that’s only when the switch remains in the “time-in” position?). But yeah, not always. I agree that I’d do whatever necessary to get rid of the lights distraction for the FT shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Jan 15, 2023, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
That would be like calling BI for a backboard slap in HS (another bad habit that college officials bring into HS games).
I've never called or had a partner that called BI in an NCAA-M game for smacking the backboard, even though you can by rule.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2023, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I've never called or had a partner that called BI in an NCAA-M game for smacking the backboard, even though you can by rule.

Not disagreeing with your experience, but…

I’ve seen it plenty on TV. Clearly, too, have all of the HS coaches I’ve given Ts to when they argue my no calls for the same thing they see on TV with different results.

I know the NCAA rule is predicated on the ring moving as a result of backboard contact while the ball is on the basket or in the cylinder. So not all collegiate backboard slaps result in PI. But many do, especially with portable backboards that take longer to stabilize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Jan 15, 2023, 04:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Well the rule does not say just slapping the backboard, the slapping as to influence the ball not going in and I have called that a couple of times myself and seen it called in my games. Also as said seen it a few times on TV. So it does happen, just not very often.

Peace