The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 04, 2023, 11:43am
Courageous When Prudent

Coach's Actions w/own Players

@BillyMac, I believe this is your state. What is your organization's stance on whether or not this should have been addressed in-game by the officials.

https://www.newstimes.com/news/artic...UJ9Kkc4sqrNmoA
Old Wed Jan 04, 2023, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
@BillyMac, I believe this is your state. What is your organization's stance on whether or not this should have been addressed in-game by the officials.

I can't cite a specific rule, but I think this is a T on the coach. Assisting a player, something something.....I don't know.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2023, 01:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Unnoticed By Everyone ...

No word yet from my local board or the state association.

According to the word around here, it wasn't noticed until the video was reviewed, so I'm not sure if the officials caught it.

If they did catch it, I'm not sure how they should have addressed it.

If the player had not lost her footing this wouldn't be a story.

The coach certainly did push a little too hard, I'm sure that he immediately regretted it, but believed that it would go unnoticed.

He was wrong.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 04, 2023 at 06:57pm.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2023, 01:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Apple Pie And Chevrolet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
...Assisting a player, something something.....I don't know.
Sounds like a baseball rule.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Jan 04, 2023, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What time on the video?
Old Wed Jan 04, 2023, 04:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
What time on the video?
The video in the article is embedded just prior to the incident.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2023, 12:08am
Do not give a damn!!

If you mean organization meaning local officials association, not sure they have a stance. They do not assign games. Just training organizations.

I think that if this happened no one is expecting officials from the state to get involved in this directly. It seems like the player went about their business. Yes, inappropriate but something the school should deal with not officials or outsiders. We do not hire officials and do not suspend them personally. I would rather have the school take action as our situation just muddies the water IMO. If we T the coach all we are doing is hurting the team in a game. This is bigger than a game, this is about the behavior of a coach and the conduct that coach has. Where I am most coaches are teachers, so they are subjected to conduct rules of that school.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 05, 2023, 04:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
What time on the video?
Start at elapsed time 1:03:55 in this video: https://youtu.be/UOKLfALnU4Y

Last edited by Mike Goodwin; Thu Jan 05, 2023 at 04:16am. Reason: added YT video link
Old Thu Jan 05, 2023, 11:50am
Esteemed Forum Member

Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... local officials association, not sure they have a stance. They do not assign games. Just training organizations.
In Connecticut local boards do both, train and assign.

Every once in a great while something like this (coach and player(s)) comes up and the situation is discussed at meetings, often (but not always) concluding in, "Not our job".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think that if this happened no one is expecting officials from the state to get involved in this directly ... inappropriate but something the school should deal with not officials or outsiders ... rather have the school take action ... this is about the behavior of a coach and the conduct that coach has. Where I am most coaches are teachers, so they are subjected to conduct rules of that school.
Mostly agree. Let the athletic director (in this case the coach was also the athletic director), school principal, or superintendent deal with it "in house". The state association (governing body) might want to get involved.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 05, 2023 at 05:37pm.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2023, 12:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
In Connecticut local boards do both, train and assign. Every once in a great while something like this (coach and player(s)) comes up and the situation is discussed at meetings, often concluding in, "Not our job".

Mostly agree. Let the school principal or superintendent deal with it "in house". The state association (governing body) might want to get involved.
So no expectation of calling a technical foul?
Old Thu Jan 05, 2023, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Would it be different, if in a time-out, the coach was screaming obscenities at their team? Loud enough for most fans to hear it, in this hypothetical. This falls into a similar "unsporting" grey area for a T to the coach, imo.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2023, 12:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Player Versus Coach Conduct ...

This brought to mind two other instances of player versus coach conduct.

One I dealt with totally on my own. Head coach spoke to female high school player as she dribbled by him, "Get your fuc*ing head in the game". Only the three of us heard this. I chose to ignore at the time. My teacher, coach, dad, official brain "kicked in" and I decided to tell the athletic director (a friend of mine) after the game ended as I was leaving the school. He appreciated my input. I ended it there, not reporting anything to my assigner. I felt that what I did sufficed and I felt satisfied that I didn't "completely" ignore it.

Second one involved a local colleague and friend. His "day job" was as a physical education teacher, so he understood the role of a coach as a "teacher". He was an excellent official, well respected by all. He had high moral values, as was always asked to give the blessing before our annual year ending banquet.

During a boys varsity halftime intermission, he and his partner were in the coach's office with a wall of windows separating the officials and home team's halftime meeting in the attached locker room. The coach used a lot of "strong" swearing in his halftime speech.

The next morning my friend decided to unilaterally contact the school principal and report what happened. He did not involve ("skipping over") our assigner, nor the athletic director.

The specifics of this situation never officially made it to an open board meeting, only to the executive committee level, but we all knew what happened "through the grapevine".

At the next open board meeting our assigner told us that once we leave the site that any communication between an official and the school (coach, athletic director, principal) must go through him (our assigner) and that we were not to contact the school directly.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 05, 2023 at 01:53pm.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2023, 12:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

If ???

Quote:
So no expectation of calling a technical foul?
If I were an official in this game, and if I had observed the situation, I would probably pass on a technical foul.

That being said, we have a local policy to report "anything unusual" in our games to our assigner, and I would have definitely reported this situation to him.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 05, 2023 at 12:44pm.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2023, 12:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sanctity Of The Team Huddle ???

Quote:
Would it be different, if in a time-out, the coach was screaming obscenities at their team? Loud enough for most fans to hear it, in this hypothetical. This falls into a similar "unsporting" grey area for a T to the coach, imo.
2004-05 NFHS Basketball Rules Points Of Emphasis
4. Specific unsporting acts. The committee is concerned about the following specific unsporting acts. Coaches, players and officials must pay particular attention to these areas:
C. Inappropriate language. The committee is concerned about the use of inappropriate language by players, bench personnel, coaches, officials and spectators. Each group has a responsibility to the game and to each other to demonstrate civility and citizenship. The team huddle is not a safe haven for coach’s bad language. Players are not permitted to "let off steam' by using profanity, even if it is not directed at an opponent or official. Being angry at oneself is no excuse. Officials are not exempt either. Inappropriate references to players or coaches are not acceptable. Game administrators must also pay particular attention to fans, they do not have a license to abuse.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 05, 2023 at 12:44pm.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2023, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Verbal obscenities are shouted into the air, and if there's an audience, that affects them (a little). This was a shove that didn't affect anybody but the player who was shoved. If the coach had gone into the audience and shoved someone there...hmmm....

In football practice when players don't respond to my instructions as coach to put their feet where I'm pointing, I've picked them up by the armpits and moved them like chessmen. A fellow coach told me later that some parents would find that disrespectful.

I think I might've started that when, in a scrimmage (house ball) one of the officials (staff), thinking to help, did that to our player to get him more directly behind center. I then went out on the field to move him back, same way. I hate when officials think they're helping by repositioning my players from one legal position to another.