The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 30, 2022, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Technical foul at end of quarter

Throughout 3Q, V-HC has been slowly building up his ABS meter to the point where T blows whistle for the TF as the buzzer sounds at the end of the quarter. The AP arrow is pointing to H.

In a) the officials determine that the foul occurred just before the buzzer. In b) the foul occurs after the buzzer.

What is the proper order of the free throw administration, intermission, and subsequent throw-in? What is the status of the arrow? Answers for both a) and b), please.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2022, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Throughout 3Q, V-HC has been slowly building up his ABS meter to the point where T blows whistle for the TF as the buzzer sounds at the end of the quarter. The AP arrow is pointing to H.

In a) the officials determine that the foul occurred just before the buzzer. In b) the foul occurs after the buzzer.

What is the proper order of the free throw administration, intermission, and subsequent throw-in? What is the status of the arrow? Answers for both a) and b), please.
a) The T is part of the third quarter. Shoot the FTs as part of the third quarter. Use the arrow to start the 4th quarter, and switch it after the throw-in ends.

b) The T is part of the fourth quarter. Shoot the FTs after the break, and give A the ball for a throw-in as part of the T. Leave the arrow alone.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2022, 02:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
a) The T is part of the third quarter. Shoot the FTs as part of the third quarter. Use the arrow to start the 4th quarter, and switch it after the throw-in ends ...
Bingo.

I'd like to add that the intermission (break) comes after the free throws for technical foul in situation (a).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 31, 2022, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Bingo.

I'd like to add that the intermission (break) comes after the free throws for technical foul in situation (a).
I have to admit that I would not do this correctly if this is indeed correct. It seems like you're taking away the possession punishment by doing this.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2022, 03:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Carries Over ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
a) The T is part of the third quarter. Shoot the FTs as part of the third quarter. Use the arrow to start the 4th quarter, and switch it after the throw-in ends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... that the intermission (break) comes after the free throws for technical foul in situation (a).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
I have to admit that I would not do this correctly if this is indeed correct. It seems like you're taking away the possession punishment by doing this.
5-6-Exception 3: No penalty or part of a penalty carries over from one quarter or extra period to the next ...

Rules is rules.

It is what it is.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 31, 2022 at 04:55pm.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2023, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
That's part of why I asked. The officials at this game administered the free throws, then had the intermission, then a throw-in from mid-court and made sure the arrow did not change at the start of 4Q. They either did something in the incorrect order or they were incorrect in not using the AP throw-in. I don't know which. I'm hoping it was the former as that seems like the least egregious of the errors.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2023, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
That's part of why I asked. The officials at this game administered the free throws, then had the intermission, then a throw-in from mid-court and made sure the arrow did not change at the start of 4Q. They either did something in the incorrect order or they were incorrect in not using the AP throw-in. I don't know which. I'm hoping it was the former as that seems like the least egregious of the errors.
I think the way to avoid seemingly taking away the possession part of the penalty would be to put some amount of time back on the clock. If the TF did in fact happen before the horn, then some amount of time could be put back on the clock, though likely not enough to really matter for a possession.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2023, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
I think the way to avoid seemingly taking away the possession part of the penalty would be to put some amount of time back on the clock. If the TF did in fact happen before the horn, then some amount of time could be put back on the clock, though likely not enough to really matter for a possession.
Simpler would be to assess the T after the horn ending the third quarter and have the entire penalty be part of the fourth quarter.