The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Technical foul at end of quarter (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105879-technical-foul-end-quarter.html)

Altor Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:49am

Technical foul at end of quarter

Throughout 3Q, V-HC has been slowly building up his ABS meter to the point where T blows whistle for the TF as the buzzer sounds at the end of the quarter. The AP arrow is pointing to H.

In a) the officials determine that the foul occurred just before the buzzer. In b) the foul occurs after the buzzer.

What is the proper order of the free throw administration, intermission, and subsequent throw-in? What is the status of the arrow? Answers for both a) and b), please.

bob jenkins Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 1049650)
Throughout 3Q, V-HC has been slowly building up his ABS meter to the point where T blows whistle for the TF as the buzzer sounds at the end of the quarter. The AP arrow is pointing to H.

In a) the officials determine that the foul occurred just before the buzzer. In b) the foul occurs after the buzzer.

What is the proper order of the free throw administration, intermission, and subsequent throw-in? What is the status of the arrow? Answers for both a) and b), please.

a) The T is part of the third quarter. Shoot the FTs as part of the third quarter. Use the arrow to start the 4th quarter, and switch it after the throw-in ends.

b) The T is part of the fourth quarter. Shoot the FTs after the break, and give A the ball for a throw-in as part of the T. Leave the arrow alone.

BillyMac Fri Dec 30, 2022 02:08pm

Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1049651)
a) The T is part of the third quarter. Shoot the FTs as part of the third quarter. Use the arrow to start the 4th quarter, and switch it after the throw-in ends ...

Bingo.

I'd like to add that the intermission (break) comes after the free throws for technical foul in situation (a).

Blindolbat Sat Dec 31, 2022 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1049652)
Bingo.

I'd like to add that the intermission (break) comes after the free throws for technical foul in situation (a).

I have to admit that I would not do this correctly if this is indeed correct. It seems like you're taking away the possession punishment by doing this.

BillyMac Sat Dec 31, 2022 03:44pm

Carries Over ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1049651)
a) The T is part of the third quarter. Shoot the FTs as part of the third quarter. Use the arrow to start the 4th quarter, and switch it after the throw-in ends.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1049652)
... that the intermission (break) comes after the free throws for technical foul in situation (a).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindolbat (Post 1049655)
I have to admit that I would not do this correctly if this is indeed correct. It seems like you're taking away the possession punishment by doing this.

5-6-Exception 3: No penalty or part of a penalty carries over from one quarter or extra period to the next ...

Rules is rules.

It is what it is.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.1...Jx&pid=Api&P=0

Altor Thu Jan 12, 2023 01:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindolbat (Post 1049655)

That's part of why I asked. The officials at this game administered the free throws, then had the intermission, then a throw-in from mid-court and made sure the arrow did not change at the start of 4Q. They either did something in the incorrect order or they were incorrect in not using the AP throw-in. I don't know which. I'm hoping it was the former as that seems like the least egregious of the errors.

frezer11 Thu Jan 19, 2023 06:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 1049817)
That's part of why I asked. The officials at this game administered the free throws, then had the intermission, then a throw-in from mid-court and made sure the arrow did not change at the start of 4Q. They either did something in the incorrect order or they were incorrect in not using the AP throw-in. I don't know which. I'm hoping it was the former as that seems like the least egregious of the errors.

I think the way to avoid seemingly taking away the possession part of the penalty would be to put some amount of time back on the clock. If the TF did in fact happen before the horn, then some amount of time could be put back on the clock, though likely not enough to really matter for a possession.

Nevadaref Fri Jan 20, 2023 01:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1049898)
I think the way to avoid seemingly taking away the possession part of the penalty would be to put some amount of time back on the clock. If the TF did in fact happen before the horn, then some amount of time could be put back on the clock, though likely not enough to really matter for a possession.

Simpler would be to assess the T after the horn ending the third quarter and have the entire penalty be part of the fourth quarter.