The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 09, 2022, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Ohio State Rutgers--Should basket have counted?

I haven't been on here for a long while, but I watched this clip this morning, and I'm wondering if the Ohio State winning basket should have counted.

It looks like the dribbler may have stepped on the line, but it's really hard to tell. Then I realized the shooter was standing out of bounds. When the pass leaves the dribbler's hand, the shooter still has a foot out of bounds. He jumps, catches the ball, lands in bounds and shoots the game winner. I'm not the best at college rules, but does the rule that a player out of bounds cannot be the first to touch a ball when he comes back in bounds apply in the NCAA?

Link: https://twitter.com/i/status/1601035403565244419
Old Fri Dec 09, 2022, 10:26am
Courageous When Prudent

1) There is no restriction as to being the first to touch the ball after returning from OOB. You just have to establish contact inbounds while not having any body part still OOB

2) The OSU guard was fouled in the backcourt by the defender who rode him towards the sideline
Old Fri Dec 09, 2022, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

I watched again. I agree on the foul. The shooter had not established himself inbounds before touching the ball. Still legit?
Old Fri Dec 09, 2022, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

That should not count.
Reason 1: the shooter voluntarily ran out of bounds and then was the first to touch the ball upon returning when he received the pass from his teammate.
Reason 2: it seems that he did not re-establish inbounds status before touching the ball. Hard to tell from that video angle.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2022, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabard View Post
I watched again. I agree on the foul. The shooter had not established himself inbounds before touching the ball. Still legit?
You can't see that from this clip. I think he's as likely to be as out from what we can see from this angle. He only has to have a toe touching inbounds and nothing touching OOB to be inbounds.

And I do not believe the rule about leaving the court and being the first to touch the ball applies here....that is for when players knowingly leave the court and do so on purpose to get around other players. In this play, I think he just drifted that way without realizing where he was.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Dec 09, 2022 at 12:48pm.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2022, 01:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

The player that shot the game-winner did appear to go out of bounds on his own and then catch the pass first. I think a violation should have been called but honestly not something you are looking for in that situation. The Trail is looking at the ball handler and defender. Maybe the Lead picks it up if he is not screened from the defender that is near him. So a tough play either way to see clearly unless you have a great angle from either the Lead or the Trail. The Center has no chance here.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 09, 2022, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

T & L both seem to be looking at it. The right toe *might* be in while the left foot is in the air as the player jumps to catch the pass. :shrug:
Old Sat Dec 10, 2022, 07:51am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabard View Post
I haven't been on here for a long while, but I watched this clip this morning, and I'm wondering if the Ohio State winning basket should have counted.

It looks like the dribbler may have stepped on the line, but it's really hard to tell. Then I realized the shooter was standing out of bounds. When the pass leaves the dribbler's hand, the shooter still has a foot out of bounds. He jumps, catches the ball, lands in bounds and shoots the game winner. I'm not the best at college rules, but does the rule that a player out of bounds cannot be the first to touch a ball when he comes back in bounds apply in the NCAA?

Link: https://twitter.com/i/status/1601035403565244419
Correction to my earlier response as it applies only to NCAA Men's basketball.

There is a rule that a player who goes out of bounds on his own volition cannot be the first one to receive a pass. 100% of the time we as NCAA Men's officials are only thinking about the situation on the end line where a player runs out of balance underneath the basket to get to the other side of the court.

In the case of the Ohio State game, the shooter violated this rule, but since it occurred on the sideline and it was more of him just drifting out of bounds, it didn't even occur to me this rule was in play.

Rule 9 Section 3. Player Out of Bounds Art. 1. A player who steps out of bounds under the player's own volition and then becomes the first player to touch the ball after returning to the playing court has committed a violation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Sat Dec 10, 2022 at 01:46pm.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2022, 10:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

Update ...

Big Ten Admits Its Officials Shouldn't Have Allowed Ohio State's Buzzer-Beater Vs. Rutgers

https://sports.yahoo.com/big-ten-adm...020154055.html
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)