The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 15, 2022, 11:10pm
Ok is the new good

Ball hits shot clock or top of backboard

If the ball hits the shot clock mounted on top of backboard and goes into the basket, does basket count? If the ball hits the top edge of backboard and goes into the basket, does basket count? NFHS Rules
Old Tue Nov 15, 2022, 11:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
If the ball hits the shot clock mounted on top of backboard and goes into the basket, does basket count?
Yes. Anything that is above the basket like a support or shot clock is out of bounds. And if properly place the shot clock is recessed from the backboard and would only hit the shot clock if it really is over the backboard most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
If the ball hits the top edge of backboard and goes into the basket, does basket count? NFHS Rules
No. The top of the backboard is considered inbounds.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 16, 2022, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrutledge View Post
yes. NO. anything that is above the basket like a support or shot clock is out of bounds. And if properly place the shot clock is recessed from the backboard and would only hit the shot clock if it really is over the backboard most of the time.

no. Yes the top of the backboard is considered inbounds.

peace
fify

Last edited by bob jenkins; Wed Nov 16, 2022 at 08:36am.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2022, 10:04am
Esteemed Forum Member

From The List ...

The front, top, sides, and bottom of the backboard are all in play. The ball cannot legally pass over a rectangular backboard from either direction. The back of a backboard is out of bounds, as well as the supporting structures.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 23, 2022, 01:06pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Might want to dig out your book and read through Rule 7.

Rule 7-1-2
Case play 7.1.2, Situation A
Old Wed Nov 23, 2022, 01:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Citation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Case play 7.1.2, Situation A
7.1.2 SITUATION A: The ball strikes the side edge or top edge of the backboard or passes over the top of the backboard and the ball: (a) came from a throw-in from behind the plane of the backboard; or (b) from a pass or try from the front or back of the plane of the backboard. The ball does not touch any supporting brace. RULING: If a fan-shaped backboard is being used in (a) and in (b), the ball remains live. If a rectangular backboard is used in (a), the ball remains live after touching the side edge, but it is a violation if it passes directly over the backboard. In (b), the ball remains live if it touches a side edge or the top edge if it rebounds and comes down in front of the backboard. The ball becomes dead if it passes over the top of a rectangular backboard regardless of the action which causes it to pass over or whether it comes from the front or back of the plane.

Wilt Chamberlain (Kansas 1956-1958, NBA 1959-1973), the seven foot, one inch, 275 pound All-American Kansas Jayhawks center’s impact on the game of basketball was reflected in the fact that he was directly responsible for several rule changes … Chamberlain is credited with a rule change regarding inbounding the ball by front court inbounders standing behind the endline underneath their basket. His teammates would routinely inbound the ball by lobbing the ball over the backboard where Chamberlain would catch the lob pass and dunk the ball into the basket for an easy score. In 1956, the NCAA, followed by the NFHS in 1957, ruled that the ball is out of bounds when it passes over a rectangular backboard (in either direction).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 23, 2022 at 01:47pm.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2022, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
7.1.2 SITUATION A: The ball strikes the side edge or top edge of the backboard or passes over the top of the backboard and the ball: (a) came from a throw-in from behind the plane of the backboard; or (b) from a pass or try from the front or back of the plane of the backboard. The ball does not touch any supporting brace. RULING: If a fan-shaped backboard is being used in (a) and in (b), the ball remains live. If a rectangular backboard is used in (a), the ball remains live after touching the side edge, but it is a violation if it passes directly over the backboard. In (b), the ball remains live if it touches a side edge or the top edge if it rebounds and comes down in front of the backboard. The ball becomes dead if it passes over the top of a rectangular backboard regardless of the action which causes it to pass over or whether it comes from the front or back of the plane.

Wilt Chamberlain (Kansas 1956-1958, NBA 1959-1973), the seven foot, one inch, 275 pound All-American Kansas Jayhawks center’s impact on the game of basketball was reflected in the fact that he was directly responsible for several rule changes … Chamberlain is credited with a rule change regarding inbounding the ball by front court inbounders standing behind the endline underneath their basket. His teammates would routinely inbound the ball by lobbing the ball over the backboard where Chamberlain would catch the lob pass and dunk the ball into the basket for an easy score. In 1956, the NCAA, followed by the NFHS in 1957, ruled that the ball is out of bounds when it passes over a rectangular backboard (in either direction).
This is interesting. In that regard, it is curious why a ball passing over a fan-shaped backboard is not out of bounds under NFHS rules.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2022, 03:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

She Blinded Me With Science (Thomas Dolby, 1982) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
... curious why a ball passing over a fan-shaped backboard is not out of bounds under NFHS rules.
It's a simple matter of geometry.

A rectangular backboard has well defined upper corners that separate the top from the sides.

A fan shaped backboard, while having well defined sides near the bottom, has poorly defined curved "corners" closer to the top, where one needs to consider tangents.

Of course, once one starts to consider tangents, one needs to whip out one's trusty trigonometry slide rule.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., as an engineer, can expound upon this when he gets back from his tropical cruise.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 23, 2022 at 06:30pm.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2022, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It's a simple matter of geometry.

A rectangular backboard has well defined upper corners that separate the top from the sides.

A fan shaped backboard, while having well defined sides near the bottom, has poorly defined curved "corners" closer to the top, where one needs to consider tangents.

Of course, once one starts to consider tangents, one needs to whip out one's trusty trigonometry slide rule.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., as an engineer, can expound upon this when he gets back from his tropical cruise.

I wonder if the rule was more of a holdover from the days when the baskets were mounted directly to walls. Really wasnt enough room behind the board so a ball that went behind the board would of been hitting the wall and that you really couldnt pass or shoot over the board while being on the floor in bounds when the basket was 2ft off the endline
Old Thu Nov 24, 2022, 11:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

Soul Sacrifice (Santana, 1969) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
I wonder if the rule was more of a holdover from the days when the baskets were mounted directly to walls.
Make a layup and smash into a wall? Gotta hurt.

In my local town we had (half) glass backboards back in the fifties. First high school in the state to have such.

A teacher colleague of mine, who played in that gym (still used for town sponsored games, still with the (half) glass backboards) told me that curious visiting fans would stand under the backboards and stare at them for several minutes.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 25, 2022 at 11:23am.
Old Fri Nov 25, 2022, 07:26am
Administrator

Quote:
I wonder if the rule was more of a holdover from the days when the baskets were mounted directly to walls. Really wasnt enough room behind the board so a ball that went behind the board would of been hitting the wall and that you really couldnt pass or shoot over the board while being on the floor in bounds when the basket was 2ft off the endline
I don't want to come back! But I have knee replacement surgery scheduled for December 12th.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Fri Nov 25, 2022 at 07:28am. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old Fri Nov 25, 2022, 11:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

Grow Up Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I don't want to come back!

Old Fri Nov 25, 2022, 03:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Very Christian ...

Quote:
... the baskets were mounted directly to walls. Really wasn't enough room behind the board ...
Played in a game at the New Haven YMCA about fifty-plus years ago. The gym had a second floor balcony all around the the perimeter of and extending over the the playing court. We were the visiting team and the fans would swat away our shots by leaning over the balcony railing.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 26, 2022 at 09:56am.