The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 21, 2022, 04:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

2022-23 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations ...

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. added the 2022-23 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations to the "Sticky" thread (Thank you Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.), but the he closed it so I decided to move it to a new thread that can be commented on.

2022-23 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 1: An official notices that No. 23 on Team A is wearing earbuds during pregame warm-ups. The official notifies the head coach of Team A that wearing equipment which, in the referee’s judgment, is dangerous or confusing to other players or is not appropriate is not allowed. The official then directs the coach to notify No. 23 that the earbuds need to be removed. No penalties are assessed. RULING: Correct procedure. COMMENT: Officials’ jurisdiction, prior to the game, begins when they arrive on the floor. Officials should use pregame warm-ups and the pregame meeting to identify and address illegal uniforms and equipment. Items that have the potential to increase risk, such as headphones and earbuds, should be corrected when addressed by the official. Illegal items that do not increase risk, such as player equipment that violates the manufacturer’s logo or color rules, must be corrected before the player(s) can enter the game. (2-2-2, 2-4-5, 3-5-1)

SITUATION 2: Team A members are wearing white jerseys which have (a) a large paw print on the front of the jersey above the number in place of lettering to identify the school; or (b) a paw print as the “o” in the identifying team name “SOUTH” on the front above the number. RULING: (a) Illegal – technical foul charged directly to the head coach; (b) legal. COMMENT: Decorative accents are allowed as part of the identifying name or abbreviation above the number. Images of school mascots or references without lettering identifying the school are not compliant. Only one technical foul is charged regardless of the number of offenders. (3-4-4a, 3-4- 4f, 10-6-4 PENALTY)

SITUATION 3: No. 32 on Team A has hard beads secured at the end of long braids. The braids are secured close to the head in a tightly wrapped bun. During play, No. 32’s hair bun becomes dislodged and (a) the braids become unsecured from the head; (b) the beads become dislodged and fall on the court. RULING: In both (a) and (b), no penalty is assessed. COMMENT: In (a) and (b), the official shall stop play and require No. 32 to secure the hair adornments close to the head. If this cannot be done immediately, No. 32 will be asked to exit, and a substitute shall enter. In (b), the official shall ensure the playing area is free from loose beads before resuming play. (3-5-4d)

SITUATION 4: Teams A and B are using a 35-second shot clock. No. 5 on Team A inbounds the ball in the backcourt after a made try by Team B. A20 tips the inbound pass knocking it away but then chases it down and gains control. The official uses the 35-second shot clock to administer the 10-second count which started on the touch by A20. RULING: Correct procedure. COMMENT: When utilizing the 35-second shot clock to administer the 10-second backcourt count, the 10-second count shall begin when the ball touches or is
legally touched by a player on the court. When a shot clock is not being used, the 10-second official’s count begins when A20 gains control. (Shot Clock – State Association Adoption)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Oct 21, 2022, 04:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Shot Clock Ten Seconds ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
SITUATION 4: Teams A and B are using a 35-second shot clock. No. 5 on Team A inbounds the ball in the backcourt after a made try by Team B. A20 tips the inbound pass knocking it away but then chases it down and gains control. The official uses the 35-second shot clock to administer the 10-second count which started on the touch by A20. RULING: Correct procedure. COMMENT: When utilizing the 35-second shot clock to administer the 10-second backcourt count, the 10-second count shall begin when the ball touches or is legally touched by a player on the court. When a shot clock is not being used, the 10-second official’s count begins when A20 gains control. (Shot Clock – State Association Adoption)[/I]
I'm pleased to see the NFHS clarifying the possession rule in non-shot clock games and the touch rule in shot clock games.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Oct 21, 2022 at 04:17pm.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2022, 10:41pm
Administrator

Billy:

The Rules Interpretations Thread is always Closed. Only the Administrator and Moderators can post in it.

But thanks for starting a normal thread for discussion. I would have started a normal thread for discussion but I was multi-tasking and trying to get three other projects down before logging off.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. But I will be back to discuss Situations 1 and 3.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Fri Oct 21, 2022 at 10:42pm. Reason: Added P.S.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2022, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Six days ago I was at a local board meeting (in an IAABO state that has always had a shot clock) where our interpreter indicated that control would still be used as the starting point for the 10 second count.

So….either he wasn’t aware of the NFHS interp that was about to come out, or IAABO intends to take a different tack on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Oct 23, 2022, 01:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Individual State Associations ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Six days ago I was at a local board meeting (in an IAABO state that has always had a shot clock) where our interpreter indicated that control would still be used as the starting point for the 10 second count ... he wasn’t aware of the NFHS interp ... or IAABO intends to take a different tack on this.
I have a sneaking suspicion that, at least at the beginning, it will be individual state associations (for shot clock states), definitely not IAABO, and maybe not even the NFHS, that decide to use the shot clock, or a visible count, to determine ten seconds; as well as when to start the ten second count (touch or control).

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Oct 24, 2022 at 11:23am.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2022, 01:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Poorly Worded ...

Quote:
... When a shot clock is not being used, the 10-second official’s count begins when A20 gains control.
Poorly worded.

Not used at all, or not used in that part of the game?

This could refer to the last 34 seconds of a "shot clock game" period after a timeout.

It probably should read: In games with a shot clock, when a shot clock is turned off because there is less time in the period than there is time on the game clock, the 10-second official’s count begins when ...

... not sure exactly how the NFHS wants to end this sentence?

Why change the start of the ten second count that's been used for 95% of that game (touch) just because the officials switched from watching the shot clock to visible counting near the end of some periods?

The NFHS should take the bull by the horns and say to start the ten second count at the "touch" in all games (I believe the NCAA rule), at all times (including end of periods when there is less time in the period than there is time on the game clock), in all states, shot clock, or no shot clock, at all levels (middle school, freshman, junior varsity, varsity).

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Oct 23, 2022 at 01:55pm.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2022, 12:30pm
Administrator

Quote:
Poorly worded.

Not used at all, or not used in that part of the game?

This could refer to the last 34 seconds of a "shot clock game" period after a timeout.

It probably should read: In games with a shot clock, when a shot clock is turned off because there is less time in the period than there is time on the game clock, the 10-second official’s count begins when ...

... not sure exactly how the NFHS wants to end this sentence?

Why change the start of the ten second count that's been used for 95% of that game (touch) just because the officials switched from watching the shot clock to visible counting near the end of some periods?

The NFHS should take the bull by the horns and say to start the ten second count at the "touch" in all games (I believe the NCAA rule), at all times (including end of periods when there is less time in the period than there is time on the game clock), in all states, shot clock, or no shot clock, at all levels (middle school, freshman, junior varsity, varsity).

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I think that that correct comment in the meme is to "Take the Bull by the tail and face the situation!"

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio