The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 20, 2022, 12:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Illegal Equipment During Warmups ...

We had our mandatory new rules local meeting last night.

We discussed equipment color restrictions and it was mentioned that players could not "even" warmup with such illegal color equipment (undershirts, headbands, wristbands, arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, compression shorts, tights).

I disagree. The NFHS doesn't seem to want team members warming up with equipment that is unsafe, for example jewelry, and as such wants unsafe equipment removed “immediately”.

NFHS interpretations (below) seem indicate that team members with illegal “colors” are only restricting from “participating” in the actual “game”, and may continue to warmup with teammates. I’m not sure that there is NFHS support the for the view that team members with illegal “colors” must not be allowed to participate in warmups and must remove such illegal color equipment immediately.

3.5 SITUATION A: The officials are on the court prior to the game observing the team warm-ups. One official notices that a member of Team A is wearing a decorative necklace. RULING: The official should inform the team member to remove the jewelry immediately. Upon compliance, the team member may continue to warm up with his or her teammates and may start the game without penalty.

3.5.3 SITUATION A: Before the game, officials are watching Team A warm up and notice A3 is wearing a black compression sleeve and white tights. RULING: Illegal because the rule requires individual players to wear the same color sleeves and tights. A3 will not be allowed to participate while wearing the different color items. No penalty is involved. A3 simply cannot participate until the color restriction is corrected. (3-5-3)

3.5.4 SITUATION A: Team A’s school colors are blue and gold and the predominant color of Team A’s jerseys are white. Prior to the game, an official notices that several Team A members are wearing (a) blue headbands and blue wristbands; or (b) beige pre-wrap around the entire head and blue wristbands. RULING: Illegal in (a). Illegal equipment in (b); the headband colors do not match the wristband color requirements. The official shall inform the player and the head coach that these items are illegal and may not be worn during the game because they do not meet the color requirements.

Comments?

Anybody got any other citations?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 20, 2022 at 01:37pm.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2022, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Up to the state.

A good practice would be to address it immediately anyway so the team member can correct the problem before s/he tries to enter the game.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2022, 01:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Layup Lines ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
A good practice would be to address it immediately anyway so the team member can correct the problem before s/he tries to enter the game.
So, address it, but still allow them to warmup with illegal colors in the layup lines?

Sounds like a plan.

Always listen to bob.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Oct 20, 2022, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So, address it, but still allow them to warmup with illegal colors in the layup lines?

Sounds like a plan.

Always listen to bob.
IF the state requires it to be corrected to warm up, then get it corrected.

If the state only requires it to be corrected to play, then notify the coach about the issue and let the team member continue to warm up. And, if it requires the team member to remove the jersey to remove the undershirt -- tell the coach to have the player leave the visual confines of the gym.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2022, 02:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Go By The Book ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
IF the state requires it to be corrected to warm up, then get it corrected.
Our state association pretty much goes by NFHS rules and interpretations 99.8% of the time, seldom deviating from "the book".

The only deviation I can think of is that coaching boxes must be marked, and if not, home team will lose the coaching box stand up privilege, and the visiting team will have the unmarked coaching box stand up privilege.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 20, 2022 at 02:55pm.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2022, 04:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

If You Could Read My Mind (Gordon Lightfoot, 1971) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Anybody got any other citations?
The NFHS does.

2022-23 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 1: An official notices that No. 23 on Team A is wearing earbuds during pregame warm-ups. The official notifies the head coach of Team A that wearing equipment which, in the referee’s judgment, is dangerous or confusing to other players or is not appropriate is not allowed. The official then directs the coach to notify No. 23 that the earbuds need to be removed. No penalties are assessed. RULING: Correct procedure. COMMENT: Officials’ jurisdiction, prior to the game, begins when they arrive on the floor. Officials should use pregame warm-ups and the pregame meeting to identify and address illegal uniforms and equipment. Items that have the potential to increase risk, such as headphones and earbuds, should be corrected when addressed by the official. Illegal items that do not increase risk, such as player equipment that violates the manufacturer’s logo or color rules, must be corrected before the player(s) can enter the game. (2-2-2, 2-4-5, 3-5-1)