The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 09, 2022, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

3 Types of Violations

In the back of the rule book (page 82) there is a list of "Basketball Rules Fundamentals", which unfortunately are unknown to a lot of refs. In this section, #8 states "there are three types of violations and each has its own penalty."

Anyone know what these 3 types are?
Old Sat Apr 09, 2022, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
In the back of the rule book (page 82) there is a list of "Basketball Rules Fundamentals", which unfortunately are unknown to a lot of refs. In this section, #8 states "there are three types of violations and each has its own penalty."

Excellent question!
I know that floor violations and basket violations are two of them.
I cannot recall what was the third classification. Perhaps dribbling or time. Someone more veteran than I will remember this old classification system.

Edit: might have been jump ball violations, which were far more important prior to the AP arrow.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sat Apr 09, 2022 at 03:10pm.
Old Sat Apr 09, 2022, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Rule 4-46: VIOLATION

A violation is one of three types of rule infractions which are listed and the penalty outlined in 9-1 through 13. Following are the types of violations:

ART. 1... Type 1: Floor violations including basket interference by a teammate of the player attempting a field goal or free throw or goaltending a field goal and other violations, which are not connected with a free throw or try or tap for field goal.

ART. 2... Type 2: Basket interference or goaltending by a player at the opponent’s basket.

ART. 3... Type 3: Free-throw violations other than those involving basket interference or goaltending.
Old Sat Apr 09, 2022, 04:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Weird ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
Rule 4-46: VIOLATION A violation is one of three types of rule infractions which are listed and the penalty outlined in 9-1 through 13. Following are the types of violations ...
What a weird classification system.

Melvil Dewey and Carl Linnaeus would not be pleased.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Apr 09, 2022, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

It strikes me that the three types of violations are classified on the basis of how we dispose them:

1. Opponent gets a throw-in.
2. Opponent is awarded points.
3. Opponent either gets a substitute free throw or has their free-throw cancelled.

Of course there are nuances, but that’s the basic framework.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Apr 09, 2022, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
It strikes me that the three types of violations are classified on the basis of how we dispose them:

1. Opponent gets a throw-in.
2. Opponent is awarded points.
3. Opponent either gets a substitute free throw or has their free-throw cancelled.

Of course there are nuances, but that’s the basic framework.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice! I never thought of it that way.

I have always found the classification of violations into three types as useless at best and confusing at worst.

This was because I didn’t understand how several violations fit into the system. For example, jump ball violations, throw-in violations, or timing violations (3-seconds, ten seconds in the backcourt, etc.) would all be covered under article 1.

I’m going to reflect upon this a bit as it seems that teaching the penalties for types 2 & 3 would be useful. That way everything else is type 1 and results in a throw-in.
Old Sat Apr 09, 2022, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Not a good fit

I had heard them stated as "timing" violations which would be 5 seconds, 10 seconds, close guard, etc; "ball handling" violations such as traveling, double-dribble, etc; and "other" violations which would be goal-tending or basket interference.

I don't like these because "other" just doesn't cut it for me and these don't include defensive violations. I am also not satisfied with what is in Rule 4-46 but do accept that it is the rule - it seems to me we could classify the violations into better categories and basket interference is in there twice.

Maybe we need 5 types of violations.
Old Sat Apr 09, 2022, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Name Dropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Nice references. There can't be 5 people on this site that know off the top of their head who these two guys are. You were either a librarian or a biologist in a past life.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2022, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nice references. There can't be 5 people on this site that know off the top of their head who these two guys are. You were either a librarian or a biologist in a past life.
There are probably more than 5, I'd hope - they taught us this in grade school... if not, I'm in rare company then.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2022, 11:04am
Esteemed Forum Member

Ancient Times ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I have always found the classification of violations into three types as useless at best and confusing at worst.
Maybe it was translated poorly from the ancient Aramaic, Hebrew, or Greek used by James Naismith.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 10, 2022 at 11:57am.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2022, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Really???

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlasherZ View Post
There are probably more than 5, I'd hope - they taught us this in grade school... if not, I'm in rare company then.
Dewey - Yes, we all used the library at some point.

Linnaeus - Lesser known evolutionist whose theories were largely disproven by Darwin so why would this even come up in elementary school.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2022, 11:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

Difference Between Camelus dromedarius And Camelus bactrianus ???

Quote:
There can't be 5 people on this site that know off the top of their head who these two guys are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlasherZ View Post
There are probably more than 5 ... they taught us this in grade schoo l...
Most people couldn't care a Rattus norvegicus's ass who Carl Linnaeus was.

Wasn't Dewey one of the triplet nephews of Donald Duck?

Old Sun Apr 10, 2022, 12:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Name Naming ...

Quote:
Linnaeus ... why would this even come up in elementary school.
Can't remember for me as a student, but as a teacher, I taught binomial nomenclature in seventh grade life science.

Students came into my lesson believing that "scientific" names were stupid, and that "common" names were good enough.

Students left my lesson believing the opposite.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 10, 2022 at 02:51pm.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2022, 01:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

King Phillip Came Over From Germany Saturday ...

Quote:
Students came into my lesson believing that "scientific" names were stupid, and that "common" names were good enough. Students left my lesson believing the opposite.
One of my best lessons.

There are over one-hundred "common" names for one bird, the northern flicker (Colaptes auratus) including yellowhammer, pigeon woodpecker, and golden winged woodpecker.

The cougar (Puma concolor), a single animal, has many "common" names, including puma, mountain lion, catamount, and panther.

And true "panthers" can be leopards (Panthera pardus) or jaguars (Panthera onca).

Cougars are not true "panthers"

Lions (Panthera leo) and tigers (Panthera tigris) are also true "panthers".

And the Florida panther isn't a real "panther", it's a cougar (Puma concolor).

Confused? That's the point.

Stick to the Latin scientific names and you won't be.

Catfish, crayfish, silverfish, jellyfish, starfish.

Only one is a fish (and it isn't a member of the cat (Felidae) family).

One doesn't even live in the water.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 11, 2022 at 05:30pm.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2022, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Agreed. Neither of them would classify 13 classes into 3 categories. There always is an odd violation out. Add in the shot clock violation, and you have 14.

I get that NFHS classes violations by consequence: possession, points, or free throws. However, that classification doesn't help to determine what the nature of the infraction was. Basket interference by the offense is class 2 according to NFHS, but its practical impact is no different than that of traveling (class 1).

I would judge violations by their nature: Free throw violations (outside marked spaces entering before the ball hits the ring, inside the marked spaces entering before the release, etc.), time violations (3 second, 5 second, 10 second, shot clock), ball violations (illegal dribble, traveling, carrying, out of bounds, kicking or striking the ball with a fist), scoring violations (goaltending and basket interference), and procedural violations (swinging the elbows, backcourt, throw-in violations, leaving the court for an unauthorized reason).