The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Foul after violation

Had this last night in a GV game. Player A-1 rises to shoot and realizes her shot will be blocked and comes back down to the floor. I whistle the travel and just after my whistle player B-1 guarding her follows through with her attempted block and hits A-1 in the face. I explain to coach A (complaining) that the travel preceded the foul and awarded the ball to team B nearest the foul. Got to thinking.... could we have a dead ball technical for the contact after the whistle?
Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
Had this last night in a GV game. Player A-1 rises to shoot and realizes her shot will be blocked and comes back down to the floor. I whistle the travel and just after my whistle player B-1 guarding her follows through with her attempted block and hits A-1 in the face. I explain to coach A (complaining) that the travel preceded the foul and awarded the ball to team B nearest the foul. Got to thinking.... could we have a dead ball technical for the contact after the whistle?
No.

(Read the definitions)

Last edited by bob jenkins; Wed Dec 22, 2021 at 09:20am.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 09:20am
Stubborn Member

If the block attempt/foul is part of the play I'm probably letting it go.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 09:34am
Esteemed Forum Member

Intentional Or Flagrant ...

For contact to be ruled illegal during a dead ball period it has to be either intentional or flagrant contact.

Have to pass on (ignore) incidental contact (as we always do), or contact not deemed to be intentional or flagrant, i.e., type of contact involved with a common foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
For contact to be ruled illegal during a dead ball period it has to be either intentional or flagrant contact.
(delted)

Last edited by bob jenkins; Wed Dec 22, 2021 at 10:46am. Reason: some threads you jsut need to start over
Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 10:24am
Esteemed Forum Member

Dead Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And even if its I or F, it's still not a T (as the OP asked).
Wasn't it dead ball contact?

4-9-5-C: A technical foul is: An intentional or flagrant contact foul while the ball is dead, except a foul by an airborne shooter.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 22, 2021 at 10:32am.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Well the ball became dead when I blew the whistle for the traveling violation. Hence my question about a foul also AND it would be technical. I seems from some that they would consider the contact incidental so go with the travel and move on as I did. I just started to question in my mind about the contact because it was in the head. No matter I'm explaining to one coach or another
Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 12:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dead Ball ...

Quote:
Well the ball became dead when I blew the whistle for the traveling violation.
Became dead with the travel violation, which may have been before the whistle (reaction time).

Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well the ball became dead when I blew the whistle for the traveling violation. Hence my question about a foul also AND it would be technical. I seems from some that they would consider the contact incidental so go with the travel and move on as I did. I just started to question in my mind about the contact because it was in the head. No matter I'm explaining to one coach or another
IF the ball had been live-- would you have ruled an intentional personal or a flagrant personal? If so, then you should rule an intentional technical or a flagrant technical in your play. If not (that is, if you would have ruled a common foul), then you should ignore it in your play.
Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 01:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:
... follows through with her attempted block and hits A-1 in the face.
Quote:
...the contact because it was in the head.
I missed the reference to contact above the shoulders the first time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If the ball had been live, would you have ruled an intentional personal or a flagrant personal? If so, then you should rule an intentional technical or a flagrant technical in your play. If not (that is, if you would have ruled a common foul), then you should ignore it in your play.
Agree with bob jenkins.

Depends on how fast the arms were swinging.

4.19.3 SITUATION F: After a rebound, A1, while holding the ball, pivots and A1’s elbow contacts B1 above the shoulders. A1's elbow is violently and excessively swung at a speed in excess of the player’s torso. RULING: If the contact is violent or excessive, a flagrant foul shall be called. (4-27, 4-19-2, 4-19-3, 4-19-4)

9.13.1 SITUATION B: A1 is trapped in the corner by B1 and B2, who are in legal guarding position. In an attempt to create space, A1 rapidly swings arms/elbows while using the shoulders as pivots (a) without making contact; (b) making contact with an opponent above the shoulders and elbows are moving faster than the body. RULING: In (a), A1 excessively swinging arms/elbows without contacting the opponent is a violation. Team B is awarded a designated spot throw-in nearest the violation. In (b), this is considered an intentional foul. (9-13-1)

9.13.2 SITUATION: A5 catches the ball on a rebound, “chins” the ball and then turns (with the elbow at the same speed as the body) to make an outlet pass with the elbow leading the way. Prior to releasing the ball, A1’s elbow contacts B5 above the shoulders. RULING: This may be ruled incidental contact or a player control foul.

Isn't it nice to have interpretations in the casebook and not have to rely on a nine year old Point of Emphasis?