The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA-W refs still in masks?

Can I ask why women’s college officials are still wearing masks while actively officiating, but it’s the complete opposite on the men’s side, where no one is wearing them? Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 12:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Can I ask why women’s college officials are still wearing masks while actively officiating, but it’s the complete opposite on the men’s side, where no one is wearing them? Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.
Is it a crew decision or is it a conference decision? I have seen it like once, but that was early on.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 05:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Is it a crew decision or is it a conference decision? I have seen it like once, but that was early on.

Peace
That’s what I would like to know. All the women’s games I have seen on TV this year, the entire crew is wearing them.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 08:41am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
That’s what I would like to know. All the women’s games I have seen on TV this year, the entire crew is wearing them.
That's not the case in mid-major, D2, & D3 games I've seen.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

From one supervisor (who has conferences at all levels):

We strongly encourage officials to wear masks while officiating. There are many, many players and coaches not vaccinated. Please be safe and stay healthy. Captain's meetings should be one player from each team, 3 feet distance, officials masked and no handshakes, fist or elbow bumps. [Our] officials are 100% vaccinated. Thanks.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 10:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
That's not the case in mid-major, D2, & D3 games I've seen.
I certainly have not seen any in the games I work before if there is a double header. And have seen some highlights but no mask of many D1 games.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Have to admit that my low-level men’s college games this year haven’t followed any women’s games, so I don’t have insight into those levels.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 01:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Comorbidity ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
We strongly encourage officials to wear masks while officiating ...
Sounds like what my Archbishop says about mass attendance. Since we're a bunch of gray haired old farts with many comorbidity issues, most figure "What the hell?" and comply. It does feel a little safer when the guy in the pew directly behind me sings like he's Luciano Pavarotti.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 16, 2021 at 04:09pm.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2021, 04:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
From one supervisor (who has conferences at all levels):
and no handshakes, fist or elbow bumps.
Do they then tell everyone to avoid touching the ball for the entire game? It is rather silly to avoid handshakes then, for an hour plus touch a single ball over and over, particularly when we, the officials, are touching our whistle dozens of times throughout the game and players are probably touching mouth guards just as much.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2021, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Do they then tell everyone to avoid touching the ball for the entire game? It is rather silly to avoid handshakes then, for an hour plus touch a single ball over and over, particularly when we, the officials, are touching our whistle dozens of times throughout the game and players are probably touching mouth guards just as much.
NCAA-M made permanent the mechanic of going opposite table for pregame festivities and starters not coming over to fist bump the officials, which I actually like. We are still supposed to greet the coaches although some Rs I’ve been with haven’t wanted to do so.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2021, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was only giving one answer to the OP's "why do ncaaw officials wear masks?"

But, since my whistle is under my mask (attached to a whistle clip in the mask), I rarely touch the whistle during the game.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2021, 12:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

U Can't Touch This (MC Hammer, 1990) ...

Quote:
Do they then tell everyone to avoid touching the ball for the entire game?
As scientists have come to know more and more about COVID, the science changes (as science needs to do, and does, just eight planets now). Remember, in the early stages of the pandemic, how everyone was rubbing, spraying, and wiping down everything with disinfectant, even the cat? Store shelves were emptied of any type of disinfectant.

The risk of contracting COVID from contaminated surfaces or objects in non-hospital indoor settings, including homes and schools, is now thought to be very low; existent, but very low.

https://www.advisory.com/daily-brief...e-transmission

One is probably not going to be infected with COVID from simply touching a door knob, an elevator button, a toilet seat, or a basketball

Remember these?

Last year in Connecticut, basketballs were wiped down with disinfectant at every opportunity (timeouts, intermissions).

Schools that didn't were to be reported to our assignment commissioner, who would followup with the athletic director and/or the CIAC.

Quoth the raven, "Nevermore".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 18, 2021 at 02:23pm.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2021, 12:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Getting Serious ...

Just when some of us thought that there was some light head at the end of the COVID tunnel, re-surging Delta and Omicron, are dampening our expectations.

My daughter, an OBGYN M.D. (with an MS in International Pubic Health), was planning on having her two siblings, their families, myself, my ex-wife and her husband, four grandchildren in all, over for Christmas dinner on Saturday. Everyone has been fully vaccinated except her three under-age children.

She's been pretty calm and has not overreacted throughout the pandemic, even as her husband worked just north of New York City when it was USA ground zero at the start of this mess. She didn't even jump at getting her booster (as I did), waiting a few weeks for a convenient time. Sends her three kids to day care (a Petri dish of germs) even though both myself and my ex-wife are available to baby sit (as we have when any of the kids have been symptomatic and have been quarantined at home before passing COVID tests).

Fearing for her three unvaccinated children, and those of us considered "elderly", she has asked all of us to double mask when we go out in public all this coming week (games, gym, grocery shopping, church, and an in-and-out wake for me) and has "suggested" that we all take at-home COVID test before coming, masking up in her home on Christmas when we are not eating.

And my son (not a medical professional), who lives out of state (car ride), possibly overreacting, has decided not to bring his entire family, just himself. His family is fully protected (as much as they can be), not only are all fully vaccinated, but two in his household have also had the disease (natural immunity). He was one of the first (March 2020) in the country to quarantine after attending a sociology convention in New Orleans where several attendees contracted COVID, so he's been a little gun shy during the entire pandemic, as has been his Chinese wife, it seems that Asians are more concerned about communicable diseases (i.e., often wearing masks during flu season) than most Americans. They kept my grandson home from school, by choice, all of of last year (2020-21). Odd that his family has taken the most precautions and yet, two got COVID, when nobody else in my family (including my nurse daughter who has spent much of the last twenty months testing symptomatic COVID patients) got it.

Yikes!

Merry COVID Christmas, again.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 20, 2021 at 02:06pm.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2021, 11:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Gun Shy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
And my son (not a medical professional), who lives out of state (car ride), possibly overreacting, has decided not to bring his entire family, just himself.
He cancelled. Told me that people on Long Island (he's just outside New York City) are going crazy lining up for vaccinations, boosters, and COVID tests. At-home testing kits are sold out everywhere on the Island.

Is he overreacting? I think so, but better safe than sorry. I will visit his family alone, double masked, before the New Year.

Merry COVID Christmas, again.

Old Tue Jan 04, 2022, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

I haven't posted in a long time after I was forced to retire early due to a combination of medical and injury.

now, I keep the shot clock for both the men and women at a mid major D1 program in Ohio. I see a mixture on the women's side. I've had games where two officials are masked and the third one is not. Others have had all three masked. The table is all vaxxed and masked.

No booster for me. Turns out that both my wife and I carry a gene that causes our blood to clot. We have never had issues but two of our children do. My oldest son severely. The incidence of blood clotting from boosters is too high for my comfort.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me