The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 27, 2021, 12:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

For NCAA Officials Only ...

I'm not an NCAA official, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I thought that you college guys would be interested in this contradictory situation that appeared in a recent IAABO Inside The Lines publication.

I'm sure that most of the knowledgeable college guys we see on the Forum already know about this shot clock rule contradiction, and know how to properly handle it, but in case one hasn't, or doesn't, here it is:

Disclaimer: Not sure if this is an NCAA interpretation, or an IAABO interpretation.

Team A has the ball in their back court for a throw in. The Game Clock is at 29 seconds. The Shot Clock is off. Thrower-In A3 throws the ball to A4 in the front court. B3 fouls A4. The game clock reads 26 seconds. Team A is not in the bonus. Team A will receive the ball at one of the four spots and the Shot Clock will be turned back on. True or false?

The correct answer is False.

Unfortunately, we have two rules that are contradicting in this play:

1. Rule 2-11.2 states that the shot-clock operator “shall use the shot clock for the entire game, including extra periods, except where there is less time remaining on the game clock than on the shot clock, in which case the shot clock shall be turned off.”

2. Rule 2-11.6.c.1 states that the shot clock operator shall, “Reset' the shot clock “to 20 seconds or the time remaining (whichever is greater)when the following occurs:
1. A personal or technical foul is assessed to the defensive team and the ball is to be inbounded in the front court;”

The application of Rule 2-11.2 is correct. Turn the shot clock off. Otherwise, Team A would never get their full 30 seconds that they are entitled to by rule. See Rule 2-11.8 for exceptions to this rule that are listed in Rule 2-11.6.d.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 27, 2021 at 12:39pm.
Old Sat Nov 27, 2021, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think the rules are contradictory -- the "whichever is greater" just includes the time on the game clock (26 seconds n this instance).

You can have (at least in NCAAW) a situation where the shot clock is turned off and then turned back on again.
Old Sat Nov 27, 2021, 01:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Updated Disclaimer ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You can have (at least in NCAAW) a situation where the shot clock is turned off and then turned back on again.
Disclaimer Update: Not sure if this is an NCAAM interpretation, an NCAAW interpretation, or just a worthless IAABO interpretation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 27, 2021 at 03:31pm.
Old Sat Nov 27, 2021, 05:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Turned Off ...

Quote:
I don't think the rules are contradictory -- the "whichever is greater" just includes the time on the game clock (26 seconds n this instance).
I see your point, and understand it, and it's foolish for me to comment on shot clock issues (I know more about quantum physics than I do about shot clocks), but the contradictory part is "the shot-clock operator shall use the shot clock for the entire game, including extra periods, except where there is less time remaining on the game clock than on the shot clock, in which case the shot clock shall be turned off” because it appears that shot clock does not remain "turned off".

However, by reading it in a certain way, I can see where it can appear to be non-contradictory.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 27, 2021 at 07:09pm.
Old Sat Nov 27, 2021, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I see your point, and understand it, and it's foolish for me to comment on shot clock issues (I know more about quantum physics than I do about shot clocks), but the contradictory part is "the shot-clock operator shall use the shot clock for the entire game, including extra periods, except where there is less time remaining on the game clock than on the shot clock, in which case the shot clock shall be turned off” because it appears that shot clock does not remain "turned off".

However, by reading it in a certain way, I can see where it can appear to be non-contradictory.
"turned off" and "remains off" are not synonymous.

A gets the ball with 29 seconds left. Shot clock it turned off. A attempts a try that hits the rim and A gets a rebound with 25 seconds left -- shot clock it tuned back on and is set to 20 seconds.
Old Sat Nov 27, 2021, 09:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

We (NCAA-M) have no problems with the rule. We know the shot may be turned back on. We are familiar with those situations.

Do you really think an NCAA official is coming here to find that out for the first time? Do you think there are peculiar shot clock situations that aren't addressed in the pregame or in the preseason clinics? If an NCAA official is confused about a rule or interpretation and needs help, there are avenues in place for that, including directly contacting JD Collins.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Nov 28, 2021 at 07:59am.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2021, 10:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Synonymous ...

Quote:
"turned off" and "remains off" are not synonymous.
Agree.

Old Sun Nov 28, 2021, 10:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Meant To Be Educational ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Do you really think an NCAA official is coming here to find that out for the first time?
Quote:
I'm sure that most of the knowledgeable college guys we see on the Forum already know about this shot clock rule contradiction, and know how to properly handle it ...
Was not meant to be educational in any way. Just thought that those with an interest in shot clock rules, especially since high school shot clocks will be coming to some states soon, with rules in one form or another, would be interested in this.

Also thought that those of you that work college games would have some interesting comments on this, which bob jenkins and Raymond did.

Based on comments by bob jenkins and Raymond, this appears not to be an NCAA (M or W) interpretation, it appears to be just an IAABO interpretation, and it seems to be wrong.

Another (usually rare) case of IAABO not staying in its lane and interpreting instead of teaching (as happened when they jumped the gun the last time the NFHS switched from hit to release on free throws).

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 28, 2021 at 10:41am.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2021, 10:49am
Courageous When Prudent

The answer to the question was correct.

Shot clocks are set/reset to only 30 or 20 seconds, or shot clocks are left where they are. They are not turned back on and set to 26 seconds.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Nov 28, 2021 at 10:55am.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2021, 10:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

Confused In Connecticut ...

Quote:
The answer to the question was correct.
I thought that both bob jenkins and Raymond said to turn the shot clock back on?

... and the Shot Clock will be turned back on. True or false? The correct answer is False.

Wouldn't comments by bob jenkins and Raymond make this true, i.e., turn the shot clock back on.

Quote:
... NCAAW ... the shot clock is turned off and then turned back on again.
Quote:
... (NCAA-M) ... the shot may be turned back on.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 28, 2021 at 11:00am.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2021, 11:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Billy,

You spend more time trying to dissect the things you will never do or apply in your career or life. The rule is simple and those that apply them know how to do this or we would not be there. Or we will not be there very long. IJS.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 28, 2021, 11:05am
Courageous When Prudent

Again: Shot clocks are set/reset to only 30 or 20 seconds, or shot clocks are left where they are. They are not turned back on and set to 26 seconds.

We (NCAA Officials) are not confused.

Old Sun Nov 28, 2021, 11:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

26 Seconds ???

Quote:
They are not turned back on and set to 26 seconds.
I don't see that stated in the situation given. It just says to turn the shot clock back on after being off. Wouldn't the shot clock have to be "on" to set it to 20 seconds?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 28, 2021 at 01:31pm.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2021, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Based on comments by bob jenkins and Raymond, this appears not to be an NCAA (M or W) interpretation, it appears to be just an IAABO interpretation, and it seems to be wrong.
I won't speak for Raymond, but your interpretation of my comments is what is wrong.

I agree with the IAABO answer to the situation given
Old Sun Nov 28, 2021, 11:17am
Courageous When Prudent

Again: We (NCAA Officials) are not confused.

The rule has been explained to you.

Go back and cobble together the written rules and the responses Bob and I provided.

Leave out the BillyMac assumptions and "reading into".