The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 26, 2021, 01:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Connecticut COVID Protocols ...

Not sure what all the COVID protocols will be in Connecticut scholastic games this upcoming season.

Last year: Masks (no gaiters) for all (players, coaches, officials, fans). Officials come in uniform (no locker rooms available for officials to change or shower). Number of fans limited (varied from one school system to another, usually one, or two parents allowed per player, no student fans). Short regular season (12 games). No state tournament (just conference tournaments).

This year: Interscholastic athletic officials must be fully vaccinated for COVID, or be exempted from the vaccine requirement for reasons of medical contraindication or firmly held religious or spiritual belief (Note: There is no testing option). Governor's emergency executive order in already in place (expires February 15, 2022) for an indoor mask mandate in all schools (fall indoor girls volleyball players and indoor girls swimmers (on pool deck) wore masks, as did officials, coaches, and fans). Full regular basketball season and state tournament planned. No word yet on number of fans allowed, or locker room availability for officials to change and shower. Both will probably be decided by individual school systems.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Oct 29, 2021 at 11:52am.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2021, 01:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Signed Affidavits ...

We already have several scholastic officials who have chosen not to work games this year because they chose not to sign a sworn affidavit (honor system, nobody's checking vaccination cards) that they are fully vaccinated, or complete the necessary paperwork with the Connecticut state association (CIAC) that they have a medical contraindication or firmly held religious or spiritual belief (Note: There is no testing option).

I'm not sure if they're opting out because of COVID in general (as many did last year, 40% of our local guys chose not to be assigned games last season due to health concerns), or to protest the sworn affidavit CIAC mandate, citing medical privacy concerns.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 26, 2021 at 05:47pm.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2021, 04:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

Don't know what Virginia is doing yet.

I know for a fact that Delaware is requiring officials and players to wear a mask on court during competition. A good friend of my father is a high school assigner in Delaware and I was going to work some Christmas tournament games for him. But I withdrew my offer after I found out we have to wear masks while officiating. Not that I am anti-mask, I just don't want to wear one on court.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Oct 26, 2021 at 04:34pm.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2021, 05:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who Was That Masked Man ??? ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Delaware is requiring officials and players to wear a mask on court during competition. Not that I am anti-mask, I just don't want to wear one on court.
I fully understand Raymond's reluctance to wear a mask, I went into last season with some mask reluctance also.

We had no choice here in Connecticut. Wear a mask, or stay home (40% of our local guys chose not to be assigned games).

I wore an Under Armor Sports Mask last season, specifically designed for athletic use with easier breathing (has a bulging "air pocket" between one's mouth and nose and the inside layer of the mask, and not absorbing much sweat/spit; expensive, about $25 each).

I used a Fox 40 electronic whistle (with a powerful nine volt battery) with the mask. The electronic whistle (expensive, about $20 each) only worked for me because I worked mostly middle school games last season in small gyms with with sparse crowds (due to COVID limits), so nobody had problem hearing my "whistle". Not sure that the electronic whistle would be heard well in a large cavernous high school gym with a lot of fans and cheerleaders.

Bonus. Because I was wearing a mask, I found it very easy to meet hot single Moms. They see my "Silver Fox" full head of hair, but can't see my very ugly face.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 27, 2021 at 03:33pm.
Old Sat Oct 30, 2021, 04:28pm
wife loves the goatee...

In NC it varies by county. We received a directive from our boss in Chapel Hill that basically said "if the players must mask, the officials must mask"
Old Sat Oct 30, 2021, 07:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Don't know what Virginia is doing yet.

I know for a fact that Delaware is requiring officials and players to wear a mask on court during competition. A good friend of my father is a high school assigner in Delaware and I was going to work some Christmas tournament games for him. But I withdrew my offer after I found out we have to wear masks while officiating. Not that I am anti-mask, I just don't want to wear one on court.
This is the policy at this moment in Illinois. All games we are asked to wear masks. What might happen is that there might be some school districts or counties that might not be so strict. Time will tell, we are about 3 weeks away. And that policy might change or relax.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 30, 2021, 07:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is the policy at this moment in Illinois. All games we are asked to wear masks. What might happen is that there might be some school districts or counties that might not be so strict. Time will tell, we are about 3 weeks away. And that policy might change or relax.

Peace
The assignor for the Delaware tournament told me there might be an exception made. It's not until after Christmas, so there is still time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Nov 03, 2021, 08:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

Updated Connecticut COVID Protocols ...

Updated COVID protocols were recently approved and released by the CIAC and State Department of Health.

Officials must complete the CIAC mandatory on-line compliance attestation form (vaccination status or religious/medical exemption).

Officials fully vaccinated will not be required to wear a mask this season while officiating.

Unvaccinated officials must undergo weekly COVID testing and must wear a mask while officiating.

Vaccinated athletes will not be required to wear masks while competing in any winter sport.

Unvaccinated athletes will need to wear a mask while competing except in sports where masks can pose a safety risk. Masks will be required at all other times, regardless of vaccination status.

Masks will be required, regardless of vaccination status, when athletes are on the sideline or in the stands.

Interstate competition will be permitted.

Old Wed Nov 03, 2021, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Maybe I'm missing something -- why are the specific COVID protocols for CT (or any other specific area) relevant to anyone except those who work in that area? And, wouldn't those individuals already know these (or if not -- wouldn't they look in some place other that official forum to find them)?
Old Wed Nov 03, 2021, 10:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

Killed The Cat ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
... why are the specific COVID protocols for CT (or any other specific area) relevant to anyone except those who work in that area?
Just to compare and contrast for curiosity sake.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 03, 2021 at 10:39am.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2021, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Maybe I'm missing something -- why are the specific COVID protocols for CT (or any other specific area) relevant to anyone except those who work in that area? And, wouldn't those individuals already know these (or if not -- wouldn't they look in some place other that official forum to find them)?
I find this information extremely useful. Here in NJ, our Association thinks the State will not implement any rules. But with this information, I contacted the NJSIAA and asked them what their plan was, and I may point to what CT is doing.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2021, 09:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

Meanwhile ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
... CT is doing.
We're still waiting on a few protocols from last year to see if they will be implemented again this year.

1) Availability of officials locker rooms. Last year schools did not allow officials to use locker rooms to change and shower, so we all came (and left) in uniform.

2) Fans. Last year each school district set a limit on the number of (masked) fans, often one parent, or two parents, per player, no student fans. With a large percentage of vaccinated adults and teenagers here in Connecticut, I doubt that this will be in effect this year, but am assuming that the fans will still be masked.

Old Mon Nov 08, 2021, 09:14am
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Didn't Want To Wear A Mask ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We had no choice here in Connecticut. Wear a mask, or stay home (40% of our local guys chose not to be assigned games)
Discussed this (last year's mask mandate for officials) in our recent Refresher Exam study group. Discovered that many local officials decided not to officiate last year simply because they didn't want to officiate while wearing a mask. For these guys, it wasn't due to health, or safety, concerns, they just didn't want to wear a mask while officiating.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 08, 2021 at 09:37am.