The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 04, 2021, 02:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

You can quote yourself in this discussion all you like Billy, but the point is that you must make the information available or you are risking that everyone involved will not be aware of previous interpretations. Again, I do not work with or am an IAABO member. I work for two different states that do not necessarily follow each other and their procedures. So if the state associations are not aware of such information (and they may not be) then we are flying blind to the wills of the NF if they have something else in mind. When you contact the NF they often send you back to your state association for an interpretation. So if they wish to have that interpretation the NF puts out, then you have to make that information readily available. Us talking here does not change that fact. Again most people never will know we even had this conversation or the information you just put out. For all we know there might be some facts missing, meaning there have been different conversations, or what your group might help with is never done. Until we all are made very clear that some interpretation 5, 10, or 20 years ago was published, we might not be aware of its impact and will do what is already listed or what was instructed. And based on previous information, states had all the power in interpretations of how to handle things not clearly stated. That would be a total change regards to what we are talking about here.

Again, stand by my position as to how it works. Also, the law is published and there are places to find out where a ruling has been taking place. Often interpretations are not very well known or somewhat of a secret. That is the issue here for me, not what the intentions might be.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 04, 2021, 02:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS Basketball Rules Editor ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You can quote yourself in this discussion all you like ...
I was paraphrasing the new NFHS rules editor for basketball.

One can solely say, "It's not in the book", and be correct in one's local area, or state, but don't count on the NFHS to back you up.

The NFHS will back you up if you say, "This vanished interpretation is no longer correct because rule XXX changed", or "because X.X.X changed the vanished interpretation".

But "It's not in the book" alone will no longer cut the mustard.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Oct 04, 2021 at 02:38pm.
Old Mon Oct 04, 2021, 02:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
No you can't.

One may be ignorant regarding the NFHS announcement, but once pointed out, "It's not in the book", is no longer a valid response for ignoring a vanished interpretation for that single reason, one now needs to back it up with a rule change, or a interpretation change....
No matter how much you may want to put your own definitions and criteria to this matter, if something is LITERALLY NOT IN THE BOOK, then "it's not in the book" is a true and factual statement. Vanished interpretations do not float in a cloud over the court for us to grab in the middle of a game.
Old Mon Oct 04, 2021, 02:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

One can solely say, "It's not in the book", and be correct in one's local area, or state, but don't count on the NFHS to back you up.
I do not work for the NF and the NF does not give me games or any assignments whatsoever. So not worried about what they would back me up with. They are not the people I ever have to answer to. In one state we never take any NF tests. So why would someone like me care in that situation?

Exactly!!!!

Peace
Old Mon Oct 04, 2021, 02:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

The NFHS will back you up if you say, "This vanished interpretation is no longer correct because rule XXX changed", or "because X.X.X changed the vanished interpretation".

But "It's not in the book" alone will no longer cut the mustard.
...in your Little Corner of Connecticut.

Not sure how you can speak for others and their situations.

I'm trying to figure out whom exactly I would be having a conversation with in which the phrase "the vanished interpretation says...." is made.

I've never had the NFHS come in and "back me up" before. What does that look like?
Old Mon Oct 04, 2021, 02:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Literally Not In The Book ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
No matter how much you may want to put your own definitions and criteria to this matter, if something is LITERALLY NOT IN THE BOOK, then "it's not in the book" is a true and factual statement.
Agree, but "It's not in the book" can no longer be the sole reason to ignore or disregard vanished interpretations when one is made aware of them. One needs additional references.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Oct 04, 2021, 02:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Citations ...

Quote:
I've never had the NFHS come in and "back me up" before. What does that look like?
It looks like a NFHS rulebook or NFHS casebook citations.

Old Mon Oct 04, 2021, 02:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ignored ...

Quote:
Again most people never will know we even had this conversation or the information you just put out.
True, but it doesn't mean that the NFHS basketball rules editor hasn't ruled as we have been discussing.

Old Mon Oct 04, 2021, 02:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
So it will be listed directly in the published books? If the answer is no, then what are we talking about here?

Peace
Old Mon Oct 04, 2021, 02:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
True, but it doesn't mean that the NFHS basketball rules editor hasn't ruled as we have been discussing.
Again I do not work for this person. And unless there is something they are putting out so that all can see, then they are sending a message in a bottle and hoping it goes across the ocean to land.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 04, 2021, 02:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Difference Between Being Tripped And Tripping ...

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out whom exactly I would be having a conversation with in which the phrase "the vanished interpretation says...." is made.
This is the one that sticks out in my mind.

10.6.1 Situation E: B1 attempts to steal the ball from stationary A1 who is holding the ball. B1 misses the ball and falls to the floor. In dribbling away, A1 contacts B1's leg, loses control of the ball and falls to the floor. Ruling: No infraction or foul has occurred and play continues. Unless B1 made an effort to trip or block A1, he/she is entitled to a position on the court even if it is momentarily lying on the floor after falling down (vanished from casebook in 2005-06).

Could be conversation with another official, or possibly a coach.

Old Mon Oct 04, 2021, 02:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Citation Please ...

Quote:
Again I do not work for this person. And unless there is something they are putting out so that all can see, then they are sending a message in a bottle and hoping it goes across the ocean to land.
So where and when was it announced that vanished interpretations are no longer valid?

Old Mon Oct 04, 2021, 03:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Well, if it's an active publication, why would I need to the NFHS come in and "back me up". I just say "it's in the rule book/case book" or "the NFHS put out an interpretation for this play for the 2021-22 season".

I think delusions about what the NFHS does, especially in-season.
Old Mon Oct 04, 2021, 03:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
"BillyMac on social media said that Lindsay Atkinson said...."

Yeah, that's the way to earn a reputation as a "rules guy", relying on and passing along 3rd and 4th-hand conversations.
Old Mon Oct 04, 2021, 03:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Paper Pages ...

Quote:
So it will be listed directly in the published books?
Quote:
Lindsey Atkinson, the new NFHS rules editor for basketball ... stated that as long as there are no relevant rule changes, or interpretation changes, to invalidate such, old vanished interpretations are still officially considered to be valid by the NFHS ... Ms. Atkinson announced that a statement regarding the continued validity of old vanished interpretations (with no relevant rule changes or interpretation changes to invalidate such), will probably be printed in the beginning of the NFHS Casebook and/or Rulebook, starting in 2022-23.
If by published you mean all valid interpretations printed in a book with paper pages, then probably not.

The idea of a searchable digital file has been discussed, but it definitely won't be the NFHS that initially builds this database. If built, I hope that the NFHS would publish it (online), and that it not be only made available to IAABO members.