Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 15, 2021, 12:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Better game fees?
Probably. But we work 3 person for damn near everything.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 15, 2021, 12:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Land Of Steady Habits And A High Cost Of Living ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Probably.
I was just kidding. The high cost of living (and state income taxes) in Connecticut probably "cancels out" our advantageous game fees.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 15, 2021 at 12:58pm.
Old Wed Sep 15, 2021, 12:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I was just kidding. The high cost of living (and income taxes) in Connecticut probably "cancels out" our advantageous game fees.
I would bet money you are getting paid higher than we are. That is becoming a big problem. Indiana pays more than Illinois too, so it is very possible you are getting paid more in your state and surrounding states.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 15, 2021, 01:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Apples To Oranges ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would bet money you are getting paid higher than we are.
Connecticut Game Fees for 2021-22 Season: Scrimmage Fee: $150 (3 officials $50 each, 2 officials $75 each); Varsity Fee: $101.69; Sub Varsity Fee: $65.99 (Junior Varsity, Freshmen, Middle Schools).

Hard to compare state to state game fees, like comparing apples to oranges.

Connecticut: Annual dues of $110.00 (includes membership to CIAC Officials Association and IAABO liability insurance), plus additional assignment fees of 7%.

Mostly two person games. State income tax. High cost of living.

No mileage allowance. Most schools aren't very far away (its a small, compact state), but we do have a few rural schools, with John Deere tractors in the parking lots, that are more distant. My longest trip is one-way 55 miles, most games are much, much closer (but at least we can travel by car, not by by puddle jumper snow-landing airplanes, or dog sled teams, like Mike Goodwin). We also have infamous major traffic problems during rush hour, some of the worst in the country, with the Connecticut River (or Quinnipiac River, or Housatonic River) to cross and not a lot of bridges, lots of stop and go, or at best, slow and go, bottlenecks.

It always seems greener on the other side of the fence, but it often isn't.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 15, 2021 at 04:20pm.
Old Wed Sep 15, 2021, 02:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Update, Not Good News ...

Quote:
I will send a followup email to the IAABO Co-Coordinators of Interpreters, reminding them that I plan to question them in regard to the NFHS position on these topics (as well as the new NFHS shot clock guidelines regarding the start of the shot clock and the start of the ten second count).
Got another reply to my email.

It appears that the NFHS basketball committee is presently undergoing massive changes (including leadership) and the NFHS (through IAABO) may not be able to address these issues (vanishing casebook plays) in a timely manner before the IAABO Fall Seminar in a few weeks.

I have been assured by all four of the IAABO Co-Coordinators of Interpreters that with one of them having seat at the table for next year's NFHS basketball committee, this will be a high priority item and it will definitely be on the agenda for next year. There might possibly be a searchable online casebook with all valid interpretations, both past, and present.

As to the new NFHS shot clock guidelines regarding the start of the shot clock and the start of the ten second count, IAABO International will not deal with this and will allow each IAABO state to deal with this on a state by state basis, but the IAABO Co-Coordinators of Interpreters do agree with me that this is a rule/mechanic conflict needs to somehow be accounted for, but again, it will be on a state by state basis.

Some good news, at least we solved the strange case of the vanishing Contact Above the Shoulders Point of Emphasis, so something was accomplished, better than nothing accomplished.

Looks like I'll have more time to spend in the open bar hospitality room. Too bad that I don't regularly play golf.

Free alcohol, golf (with side bets), and highly competitive basketball officials, all far way from home. What can possibly go wrong?

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 15, 2021 at 05:57pm.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2021, 04:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Never Use The Word "Concussion" ...

Quote:
Connecticut officials are very fortunate in that we never have to deal with concussions. Several years ago the State legislature considered giving officials the responsibility of dealing with concussions.

Luckily, we have an officials arm ... of our state interscholastic sport governing body (CIAC) that attended public hearings and lobbied for us. As a result, the State legislature decided that only health care professionals and coaches will determine whether, or not, players have been concussed, and how to deal with such.

Coaches at all levels of interscholastic sports (even middle school) must be trained (and periodically retrained) in concussion protocols. As officials we are told to only observe and advise, and we are actually told to never to use the word "concussion" in describing an injury to a coach, instead it's more like, "Coach. Check out number twenty-two. He may be injured". After that it's 100% up to the health care professional (trainer) and/or coach to decide how to move forward, officials have nothing to do with anything concussion related.
After reviewing this thread, and questioning the apparent conflict between NFHS and Connecticut concussion protocols, I asked our local Connecticut IAABO interpreter to review Connecticut concussion protocols.

All local Connecticut IAABO interpreters, and the Connecticut IAABO State interpreter, agree that this (above) is still the concussion protocol here in Connecticut.

Connecticut is a 100% IAABO state for all scholastic (high school and middle school) games.

This NFHS casebook play was cited.

2.8.5 SITUATION: A1 and B1 hit heads in diving for a loose ball and both appear injured. However, A1 is immediately removed from the game by the officials as he/she is exhibiting signs consistent with a concussion. Later in the game, A1 reports to the scorer’s table to reenter the contest. RULING: The rules permit A1 to return to the game once he/she has been cleared by an appropriate health-care professional. The responsibility for obtaining that clearance rests with the coach/school, and need not be verified by the officials (unless state procedures require verification). If A1 appears at the scorer’s table to reenter the game, the officials shall assume the coach/school followed the appropriate return-to-play procedures and A1 is eligible to participate.

"Unless state procedures require verification". What's true for Connecticut may not be true for other states, or localities, so check your local listings.

Regarding legal civil liability, I feel more confident now that I have the backing of my local board, state board, and the NFHS (as well as our State legislature) when I say, "Coach. Check out number twenty-two. She may be injured", and leave the followup to the head coach, especially if there is no trainer as is always the case in my middle school games.

Of course, as usual, and always, when in Rome ...

And remember, this is America, anybody can sue anybody for anything at any time, and if one is summoned to criminal, or civil, court, one needs to hire an attorney and attorney billable hours aren't inexpensive (even if one wins in court).

"Safety is number one priority" (Crazy Russian Hacker)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 21, 2021 at 06:22pm.
Old Thu Oct 21, 2021, 09:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

I've only had one situation where I was concerned a coach was going to put a player back in the game after suffering an obvious head injury. If the coach had put him back in, I was prepared to have a notation entered in the scorebook stating that the player suffered a head injury and his coaches made a decision to let him return to the game.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Thu Oct 21, 2021, 10:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Illinois basically says that we are to remove players for "Concussion like Symptoms" and tell the coach that is what they are being removed for. Then when they come back in they are to inform us that a "Medical Professional" evaluated them and cleared them. This is all supposed to go into a report called the "Special Report." We do not verify anyone's credentials or even necessarily need to get their name. If the coach tells us they were cleared, they were cleared. Then the state will review their procedure or the people directly involved. Almost never happens in basketball, but happens a few times a year in football.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 22, 2021, 08:28am
Esteemed Forum Member

Assignment Commissioner ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I've only had one situation where I was concerned a coach was going to put a player back in the game after suffering an obvious head injury. If the coach had put him back in, I was prepared to have a notation entered in the scorebook stating that the player suffered a head injury and his coaches made a decision to let him return to the game.
Even though this isn't in our Connecticut concussion protocol, it this situation were to happen in my game, I would contact my assignment commissioner, our liaison between officials, athletic directors, and our state association, as soon as possible and let them iron it out.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Oct 22, 2021 at 09:02am.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2021, 10:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Even though this isn't in our Connecticut concussion protocol, it this situation were to happen in my game, I would contact my assignment commissioner, our liaison between officials, athletic directors, and our state association, as soon as possible and let them iron it out.
During the game?

Old Fri Oct 22, 2021, 01:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Time Out, Have To Make A Phone Call ...

Quote:
During the game?
From postgame locker room, from car on way home, or from my home. Also depends on if I'm the referee or the umpire, and if I'm not the referee, depends if the referee wants to make the contact.

My local assigning commissioner wants to know if anything "odd" happens in our games, no matter how minor it may seem. He prefers to hear from the officials before he hears from coaches, and/or athletic directors, and/or principals.

Old Fri Oct 22, 2021, 01:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
From postgame locker room, from car on way home, or from my home. Also depends on if I'm the referee or the umpire, and if I'm not the referee, depends if the referee wants to make the contact.

My local assigning commissioner wants to know if anything "odd" happens in our games, no matter how minor it may seem. He prefers to hear from the officials before he hears from coaches, and/or athletic directors, and/or principals.
That's everybody... As well as common sense.

I was specifically talking about how I handled a situation during the game when I couldn't call a commissioner or supervisor or state board.

Old Fri Oct 22, 2021, 01:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Safety First ...

Quote:
... concerned a coach was going to put a player back in the game after suffering an obvious head injury. If the coach had put him back in, I was prepared to have a notation entered in the scorebook stating that the player suffered a head injury and his coaches made a decision to let him return to the game.
Quote:
I was specifically talking about how I handled a situation during the game when I couldn't call a commissioner or supervisor or state board.
The act of taking a few seconds to write something in the scorebook may have caused the head coach to take pause and reconsider the ramifications of reentering a possibly concussed player. Good idea. Safety first.

Old Fri Oct 22, 2021, 01:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
The act of taking a few seconds to write something in the scorebook may have caused the head coach to take pause and reconsider the ramifications of reentering a possibly concussed player. Good idea. Safety first.
Shoot, the coach was hesitant to keep him out the game immediately after the injury.

I saw the kid's head hit the ground and his initial wooziness.
Old Sun Oct 24, 2021, 05:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Billable Hours ...

Quote:
And remember, this is America, anybody can sue anybody for anything at any time, and if one is summoned to criminal, or civil, court, one needs to hire an attorney and attorney billable hours aren't inexpensive (even if one wins in court)