Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 01, 2021, 01:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Twist And Shout (The Beatles, 1964) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
... my scenario in which the thrower pushes the ball to the floor (inbounds) without releasing it. Although I would contend that is carrying the ball onto the court.
And I would agree.

Good time to confirm with the young'uns that it is not a dribble when a inbounds player stands still and holds the ball and touches it to the floor once or more than once.

4.15 COMMENT: … It is not a dribble when a player stands still and holds the ball and touches it to the floor once or more than once.

In addition: 4-42-NOTE: The traveling and dribbling rules are not in effect for a throw-in.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Aug 01, 2021 at 02:00pm.
Old Sun Aug 01, 2021, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The NFHS has to get up pretty early in the morning to slip one past Nevadaref.

"9-2-10 Note: The thrower may penetrate the plane provided he/she does not touch the inbounds area or a player inbounds before the ball is released on the throw-in pass" first appeared in this form in 2010-11.

Previous to 2010-11 (at least back to 1996-97, the oldest rulebook in my library) it simply stated: "The thrower may penetrate the plane provided he/she does not touch the inbounds area before the ball is released on the throw-in pass".

I believe that additional rule language was unannounced in 2010-11. Typical for the NFHS. Stupid NFHS.

Nevadaref probably had a valid gripe (still, doesn't one think that "bogus" is a little over the top) before the additional wording was added (unannounced) in 2010-11.

Odd that the annual (2009-10) interpretation (later a caseplay) came before the rule language addition (2010-11)?

Maybe it was a subsequent response by the NFHS to complaints by officials (like Nevadaref) about the annual interpretation?

If it was a subsequent response to complaints, shouldn't the year-later rule language addition been announced?

Stupid NFHS.
I learned something from this thread. That is a good thing.
However, the NFHS needs to edit the case play below and strike the following sentences. Neither are true.

9.2.5 SITUATION B: A1 has the ball out of bounds for a throw-in and is being guarded by B1. Before releasing the ball, A1 loses his/her balance, reaches out and puts his/her hand on B1 (who is inbounds) in an effort to regain his/her balance. RULING: Throw-in violation by A1. A1 is required to remain out of bounds until releasing the throw-in pass. When A1 touches an inbounds player, he/she has inbound status. However, if the contact on B1 is illegal, a personal foul shall be called. (9-2-10 Note)
Old Mon Aug 02, 2021, 01:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Remain Out Of Bounds Until Releasing Throwin Pass ...

Quote:
... the NFHS needs to edit the case play below and strike the following sentences. Neither are true.

9.2.5 SITUATION B: A1 has the ball out of bounds for a throw-in and is being guarded by B1. Before releasing the ball, A1 loses his/her balance, reaches out and puts his/her hand on B1 (who is inbounds) in an effort to regain his/her balance. RULING: Throw-in violation by A1. A1 is required to remain out of bounds until releasing the throw-in pass. When A1 touches an inbounds player, he/she has inbound status. However, if the contact on B1 is illegal, a personal foul shall be called. (9-2-10 Note)
A1 is required to remain out of bounds until releasing the throw-in pass?

That's true.

9-2-10 Note: The thrower may penetrate the plane provided he/she does not touch the inbounds area or a player inbounds before the ball is released on the throw-in pass

When A1 touches an inbounds player, he/she has inbound status?

We can debate the explanation/rationale, but it's still a throwin violation by rule.

9-2-10 Note: The thrower may penetrate the plane provided he/she does not touch the inbounds area or a player inbounds before the ball is released on the throw-in pass
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Aug 02, 2021 at 01:46pm.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2021, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A1 is required to remain out of bounds until releasing the throw-in pass?

That's true.
Actually, it’s not.

Let’s take the case of an end line throw-in following a goal.
A1 may secure the ball, take it out of bounds, look for an open teammate, place the ball on the floor in the out of bounds area, and step inbounds. At this point either A1 or any of his teammates can now move out of bounds, pick up the ball, and make a throw-in pass. So the above requirement is false for this situation, and since it isn’t true for all situations, it is false.

Now if you wish to limit the above statement to only designated-spot throw-ins, then it works because in order to put the ball down and then come inbounds the thrower would have to leave the designated spot.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2021, 05:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stress Test ...

Quote:
Quote:
Let’s take the case of an end line throw-in following a goal. A1 may secure the ball, take it out of bounds, look for an open teammate, place the ball on the floor in the out of bounds area, and step inbounds. At this point either A1 or any of his teammates can now move out of bounds, pick up the ball, and make a throw-in pass. So the above requirement is false for this situation, and since it isn’t true for all situations, it is false.
Excellent post. I agree. Like me, Nevadaref likes to use extreme examples to put rule language to a test.

In this situation, 9-2-10-Note fails the "stress test".

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Aug 03, 2021 at 02:37pm.