The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NFHS Shot Clock Guidelines ... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105458-nfhs-shot-clock-guidelines.html)

BillyMac Sat Jul 24, 2021 09:52am

I've Got A Slide Rule And I Know How To Use It ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1043916)
Use the shot clock to administer the 10-second backcourt count (9-8).

Of course, this could mean to do the math in your head and to use the shot clock instead of a visual count. Control occurs two seconds after touch? Call the ten second violation with 23 on the shot clock.

Just kidding. I fully realize that the guidelines are mostly based on NCAA rules where both the shot clock and the ten second count start on the touch.

ilyazhito Tue Jul 27, 2021 06:36pm

That would be a 10-second violation at 18, not 23. Any way, I hope that the shot clock would become more massively distributed.

BillyMac Wed Jul 28, 2021 07:55am

Do The Math ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1044037)
Of course, this could mean to do the math in your head and to use the shot clock instead of a visual count. Control occurs two seconds after touch? Call the ten second violation with 23 on the shot clock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1044047)
That would be a 10-second violation at 18, not 23.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1043916)
NFHS Shot Clock Guidelines: In accordance with Rule 2-14, each state association may adopt a procedure by which it implements a 35-second shot clock ...

I've got a Pickett Model N-500-ES Trig All Metal Slide Rule and I know how to use it.

35-2-10=23

ilyazhito Thu Jul 29, 2021 07:55am

I was using a 30-second shot clock for my calculations, because that is what both DC and MD use for their games. You'd be right with a 35-second shot clock.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1044048)
I've got a Pickett Model N-500-ES Trig All Metal Slide Rule and I know how to use it.

35-2-10=23

And I have both a half-size and a full-size Post Versalog Slide Rule as well as a Post Trig Slide Rule and I know how to use all three of them, :p!

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Thu Jul 29, 2021 03:34pm

The Slide Rule Club ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1044050)
And I have both a half-size and a full-size Post Versalog Slide Rule as well as a Post Trig Slide Rule and I know how to use all three of them.

Before I retired from teaching middle school science I came across a large demonstration slide rule, about six feet long, behind stacks of books in a little used storage room. I remember my high school chemistry teacher, Mr. Dalton, back in the late 1960's, using one of these demonstration slide rules to teach us how to use slide rules.

So I figured I'd start a school slide rule club to teach interested students how to use slide rules, as old-timers did back before there were calculators. I got a local newspaper reporter to interview me for an article in which I asked people from town to check their attics and basements and donate any old slide rules to the school, and I received several donations.

After teaching the use of the slide rule, I figured the student club members could practice multiplication, division, squares, square roots, cubes, and cube root problems, and possibly having some type of "calculation contest" as a wrap-up activity.

I had a write up in the school club handbook, filled a display case in a hallway near my classroom with the slide rules I had collected, as well as the giant demonstration slide rule, and asked all math and science teachers in all three grades to talk-up the slide rule club.

I knew that the slide rule club wouldn't be a super popular club, but I figured that a few nerdy kids interested in science and/or math would sign up. The didn't even have to stay after school, clubs were held once a week during normal school hours (with shortened class periods that day).

750 kids in the school.

Not a single student signed up for the slide rule club as one of their top choices.

http://amhistory.si.edu/ogmt/images/...013q009218.jpg

BillyMac Thu Jul 29, 2021 06:06pm

Imagine (John Lennon, 1971) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1044051)
Not a single student signed up for the slide rule club as one of their top choices.

Imagine that.

ilyazhito Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:42pm

Why are we talking about slide rules? I do the math simply by determining what the initial shot clock value is and how many seconds have elapsed. Any other officials working with a shot clock due the same thing.

BillyMac Fri Jul 30, 2021 08:58am

It's An Inside Joke ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1044054)
Why are we talking about slide rules? I do the math simply by determining what the initial shot clock value is and how many seconds have elapsed.

Good question ilyazhito. You're probably one of the few non-science, non-math, non-old timers, who knows that a slide rule doesn't allow for addition and subtraction calculations.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Jul 30, 2021 09:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1044051)
Before I retired from teaching middle school science I came across a large demonstration slide rule, about six feet long, behind stacks of books in a little used storage room. I remember my high school chemistry teacher, Mr. Dalton, back in the late 1960's, using one of these demonstration slide rules to teach us how to use slide rules.

So I figured I'd start a school slide rule club to teach interested students how to use slide rules, as old-timers did back before there were calculators. I got a local newspaper reporter to interview me for an article in which I asked people from town to check their attics and basements and donate any old slide rules to the school, and I received several donations.

After teaching the use of the slide rule, I figured the student club members could practice multiplication, division, squares, square roots, cubes, and cube root problems, and possibly having some type of "calculation contest" as a wrap-up activity.

I had a write up in the school club handbook, filled a display case in a hallway near my classroom with the slide rules I had collected, as well as the giant demonstration slide rule, and asked all math and science teachers in all three grades to talk-up the slide rule club.

I knew that the slide rule club wouldn't be a super popular club, but I figured that a few nerdy kids interested in science and/or math would sign up. The didn't even have to stay after school, clubs were held once a week during normal school hours (with shortened class periods that day).

750 kids in the school.

http://amhistory.si.edu/ogmt/images/...013q009218.jpg

Years and years ago when I was doing some substitute teaching of Mathematics in the Toledo Public School I found one like that in Waite H.S. The teacher whose room it was in told me that it was there when she started teaching. I attempted to buy it from TPS but it was not listed as TPS property so TPS could not sell it to more but if I decided to take it I would be charged with theft of school property, lol! Of course if I had managed to buy it from TPS Bonnie would have probably divorced me if I had brought it home, LOL!

MTD, Sr.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Jul 30, 2021 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1044054)
Why are we talking about slide rules? I do the math simply by determining what the initial shot clock value is and how many seconds have elapsed. Any other officials working with a shot clock due the same thing.

Billy and I are talking about slide rules because we are retired STEM professionals and the U.S. put men on the Moon using slide rules.

MTD, Sr.

ilyazhito Fri Jul 30, 2021 09:22am

That make sense. How are slide rules relevant to the shot clock?

bob jenkins Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1044058)
the U.S. put men on the Moon using slide rules.

MTD, Sr.

I thought they used a Saturn rocket?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1044060)
I thought they used a Saturn rocket?

ROTFLMTO!!

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:54am

Hook, Line, Sinker ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1044059)
How are slide rules relevant to the shot clock?

They're not. It's an inside joke and you appear to be on the outside. My off-topic, off-season, dead-Forum slide rule/shot clock posts were designed to flush out Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., and he took the bait.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...925d5034_m.jpg