The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 08, 2021, 05:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Avoid Correctable Errors ...

Best way to handle correctable errors is to avoid them.

Unfortunately, especially in middle school games with no team fouls on the scoreboard, sometimes the scorekeepers (sometimes students) are asleep at the switch.

I wish that I got a dollar every time I asked a middle school scorekeeper, "Is it one and one?", or, "How many team fouls now?".

If so, I would be spending my retirement years in my villa in Tuscany.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jul 08, 2021 at 07:07pm.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2021, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Check the past Interps. This situation was published by the NFHS a few years ago. As has already been stated in the thread by others, A1 is brought back into the game to attempt the FTs and then, if possible, A6 is permitted to substitute for A1 following the FTs.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2021, 09:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

The King Of Interpretations ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Check the past Interps. This situation was published by the NFHS a few years ago. As has already been stated in the thread by others, A1 is brought back into the game to attempt the FTs and then, if possible, A6 is permitted to substitute for A1 following the FTs.
Thanks Nevadaref.

2005-06 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 1: A1 is fouled by B1 late in the second quarter. It is a common foul and the seventh Team B foul. The bonus situation is not recognized by the scorer or the officiating crew, and the Team A coach substitutes A6 for A1. A6 is beckoned onto the floor and A1 goes to the team bench. The scorer recognizes the error and sounds the horn (a) just before or (b) just after the administering official hands the ball to A2 for a throw-in. RULING: This is a correctable-error situation and falls within the proper timeframe for a correction. In both (a) and (b), A6 leaves the game with A1 re-entering to shoot the bonus free throw. Play is resumed as after any free-throw attempt(s). If the second free throw is successful and the coach desires, A6 may re-enter the contest. (2-10-1a; 2-10-6)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri Jul 09, 2021, 09:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

For The Good Of The Cause ...

Another good correctable/non-correctable substitution situation:

2000-2001 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 5: A1 is fouled in the act of shooting and is awarded two free throws. A1 is injured on the play and Team A’s coach has been beckoned on the floor to attend to A1. Although by rule A1 should leave the game until the next legal opportunity to substitute, the officials make an error and permit A1 to complete the free throws before leaving. The opposing coach objects and insists that A1’s substitute should have shot the free throws, and a correctable error has occurred. RULING: The officials made an error by permitting A1 to remain in the game. This is not a correctable error for a wrong player attempting a free throw, even though A1 is required to leave the game by rule. (3-3-5; 3-3-3)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jul 09, 2021 at 09:49am.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2021, 10:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

Owns The Basket ???

New correctable error situation #4: Two technical foul free throws successful at the wrong basket. Subsequent live ball, dead ball, and live ball. Error discovered too late, so not correctable.

Everything else is "going the right way".

Is this treated as any other "wrong way" basket, two points counting for the team that "owns" the basket?

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jul 09, 2021 at 10:55am.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2021, 10:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

Re-Enter ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
If the second free throw is successful and the coach desires, A6 may re-enter the contest. (2-10-1a; 2-10-6)[/I]
Glad the NFHS added this part. Without it, I would have made A6 sit a tick (and be wrong).

Old Fri Jul 09, 2021, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
New correctable error situation #4: Two technical foul free throws successful at the wrong basket. Subsequent live ball, dead ball, and live ball. Error discovered too late, so not correctable.

Everything else is "going the right way".

Is this treated as any other "wrong way" basket, two points counting for the team that "owns" the basket?
No way I am doing that in my game. Count the points for the team that shot the FTs
Old Fri Jul 09, 2021, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
No way I am doing that in my game. Count the points for the team that shot the FTs
agree.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2021, 11:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

Hang Our Hats On ...

Quote:
Won't be doing that in any of my games either, but how about a citation to hang our hats on?

Better yet, consider it a written test question.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jul 09, 2021 at 01:24pm.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2021, 01:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Doesn't Have To Be Corrected ...

Quote:
Two technical foul free throws successful (or unsuccessful) at the wrong basket.
Quote:
Count the points for the team that shot the FTs
Quote:
... how about a citation to hang our hats on. Better yet, consider it a written test question.
4-5: A team’s own basket is the one into which its players try to throw or tap the ball. If by mistake the officials permit a team to go the wrong direction, when discovered all points scored, fouls committed, and time consumed must count as if each team had gone the proper direction. Play must resume with each team going the proper direction based on bench location.

With 4-5 saying to count the points for the team that shot the free throws, why is "attempting a free throw at the wrong basket" considered to be a correctable error if it doesn't have to be corrected?

If, due to an officials error, free throws are shot at the wrong basket, and the error is caught within the time frame, why do we have correct the error and go down to the other end to shoot again (after cancelling points scored at the wrong basket) when 4-5 says to count the points for the team that shot the free throws (and then resume by going the right way)?

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jul 09, 2021 at 02:27pm.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2021, 02:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pissed Off Coaches ...

Quote:
With 4-5 saying to count the points for the team that shot the free throws, why is "attempting a free throw at the wrong basket" considered to be a correctable error if it doesn't have to be corrected? If, due to an officials error, free throws are shot at the wrong basket, and the error is caught within the time frame, why do we have correct the error and go down to the other end to shoot again (after cancelling points scored at the wrong basket) when 4-5 says to count the points for the team that shot the free throws (and then resume by going the right way)?
Instead of following 4-5, let's say we treat it as a correctable error (within the proper time frame). Player makes two free throws at the wrong basket, then we discover the error, both points are cancelled and we go down to the other end and the player misses both free throws.

Or vice versa.

In either situation, treating this as a correctable error is going to call undue attention to the problem, attention that isn't needed, and one coach is going to be very pissed.

Isn't it better to adjudicate with 4-5, count no points, or one point, or two points (with a single set of free throws), and resume by being sure that the players are going the right way?

Old Fri Jul 09, 2021, 02:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Conflicting Rules ...

Quote:
Two technical foul free throws successful (or unsuccessful) at the wrong basket.
Quote:
Instead of following 4-5, let's say we treat it as a correctable error (within the proper time frame).
Do we have conflicting rules here? A hard way to handle the problem (correctable error), and an easy way to handle the problem (4-5)?

So which rule do we use, especially in a late game, close game, situation with two smart head coaches, one of which will be pissed off at the outcome, that we know is going to look up the rules (both rules, picking the one that is to his advantage) and question our assigner?

If we only had a casebook play? How about it Nevadaref?

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jul 09, 2021 at 02:28pm.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2021, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do we have conflicting rules here? A hard way to handle the problem (correctable error), and an easy way to handle the problem (4-5)?

So which rule do we use, especially in a late game, close game, situation with two smart head coaches, one of which will be pissed off at the outcome, that we know is going to look up the rules (both rules, picking the one that is to his advantage) and question our assigner?

If we only had a casebook play? How about it Nevadaref?
Follow both rules -- correct it if you can; don't if you can't. And the rule about "attempting at the wrong basket" could work to the advantage of either team depending on if the FTs were made or missed.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2021, 03:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Certs, Two Mints In One, A Breath Mint, And A Candy Mint ...

Quote:
Follow both rules -- correct it if you can; don't if you can't. And the rule about "attempting at the wrong basket" could work to the advantage of either team depending on if the FTs were made or missed.

So, within the correctable error time frame, use the correctable error rule, meaning two sets of free throws (cancelling first set, counting second set), which may piss off one head coach.

Why coach? Because, by rule, it's a correctable error (attempting a free throw at the wrong basket) and we have to do it that way.

Outside of the correctable error time frame, use 4-5, one set of free throws, and count the points (if any) for the team that shot the free throws.

Why coach? Because, by rule 4-5, it's not a correctable error (too late to correct) and we have to do it that way (must count as if each team had gone the proper direction).

But under absolutely no circumstances, when outside the correctable error time frame, should we count the points (if any) for the team that "owns" the basket.

Why coach? Because of rule 4-5 (must count as if each team had gone the proper direction).

That it?

This is why basketball officials get paid the big bucks.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jul 09, 2021 at 03:34pm.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2021, 03:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fools Rush In (Where Angels Fear To Tread) (Ricky Nelson, 1963) ...

Quote:
Two technical foul free throws successful (or unsuccessful) at the wrong basket ... This is why basketball officials get paid the big bucks.
This is why all four of my local interpreters over forty years have each told us, on many occasions, to get together with partners before technical foul free throws to make sure that, at minimum, we're shooting at the correct basket.

I always think, "Never. No way". But they keep telling us that we often call technical fouls when we're pissed off and maybe a little emotional and that it's easy under those conditions get distracted and to accidently and carelessly get "turned around".

And then being forced to subsequently correct the error can really make us look foolish under the watchful eyes of players, coaches, and fans. "These guys can't even go in the right direction. What a bunch of fools".

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jul 09, 2021 at 05:35pm.