The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 29, 2021, 10:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With A Block/Charge ...

IAABO Make The Call Video

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...%2F77o5w%3D%3D

Was this correctly ruled a blocking foul? Did the defender obtain a legal guarding position? Should this have been ruled a player control foul?

Two choices: This is correctly ruled a blocking foul. This should have been ruled a Player Control Foul.

My comment: This should have been ruled a Player Control Foul. Defender White #4 obtained and maintained legal guarding position. Player control foul on ball handler Red #10.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jun 29, 2021, 11:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

Smooth Operator (Sade, 1984) ...

Watching the Lead in this video finally allowed me to fully realize why I almost always give the wrong preliminary signal for a block (fists instead of open hands on hips).

For forty years I believed that the reason for my incorrect signal was because I was emulating experienced, veteran, highly regarded officials, as well as my own belief that fists was a stronger signal than open hands.

While both of these reasons are part and parcel of me, in the heat of the moment, knowingly giving an incorrect preliminary signal, watching the Lead in this video made me realize a third, more important reason, it's a smooth transition from a fist being raised for a stop the clock for a foul signal, to bringing said fist down to one's hip for the block signal.

While I believe that the Lead was incorrect in his call, one has to admit that his signal, while also incorrect, is as smooth as silk.

Note: By the time I make it to the reporting area I almost always report using use the correct open hands on hips signal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jun 29, 2021 at 01:11pm.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2021, 11:30am
Do not give a damn!!

What did the defender do wrong? Why do we penalize defenders for doing their jobs? This is a charge all the way and not even close if you referee the defense.

Finally, I do not give a damn about an open hand vs. a fist. To me, this is one of the dumbest things we worry about at any level. We are not robots or have the same mannerisms to a tee. Why do we care about this stuff but to nitpick stupid stuff, but we cannot in any way talk about how to get plays right or what we are looking at. I wish we would stop talking about this kind of stuff. Yes, some things are important, but this is not one of them. No one but officials cares about this kind of stuff in the first place. We know if you have a block if your hands are open or if they are closed. And I have heard IAABO go on and on about signals being standard, but to me this is not the hill I want to die on. There are other things we should do or look similar, but with so many different people, body styles, personalities, you will have some slight differences. To me this is something for your local people not for everyone to nitpick. And at least where I live this is rarely talked about.

I remember when I worked the State Finals the last time, during my semifinal game I had an official/assignor call me about my directional signal. I tend to give "one finger" instead of the palm. I was told that "This is not a college game." But the reality is that college does not tell us how to signal in such a specific way and the people I worked for did not say a thing about may signal the entire weekend. Well, I worked the very last State Final in the State of Illinois for boys basketball working the highest-profile game. I say all of this because if my signals meant that much in that kind of way, I would not have worked that game that was for all the state to see. We worry about the wrong things and often things that do not change our basic communication or the ability. But if I talk to people about how to call certain fouls or philosophy, we get the purest come out and tell you the rule. There is an art and a science to what we do and there is a reason why some of us never can get anywhere because we are worried about something that does not help us do our job in the end.

End of soapbox.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 29, 2021, 11:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

Anticipation (Carly Simon, 1971) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
While I believe that the Lead was incorrect in his call, one has to admit that his signal, while also incorrect, is as smooth as silk.
Not a big fan of his wimpy nonchalant goal counts right fist flick near his hip.

Maybe I overdo it because I believe that, for a basketball official, this is the most exciting signal to give. During 99% of the game I don't want fans noticing me, preferring to just inconspicuously blend into the woodwork, but for these situations I'm all gung ho "Hey everybody, look at me".

After the whistle sounds, the fans are waiting with bated breath in anticipation of the call, looking at the official instead of the players for one of the few times in the game. Will the official call a charge and disallow the basket, or will the official call a block and allow the basket? In either case, all the fans the gym will soon be going nuts, in either a positive, or a negative manner.

So, for what may be the only time in the game, I lose my cool, calm, and collected composure, feed into the enthusiastic anticipation of the fans, and give them a signal show.

The signal that half of the fans want to see: Fist high up in the air to signal stop the clock for a foul, fists to hips (maybe pounding them) to signal a block, followed by a fist back up the air and slamming it back down to signal that the goal counts.

On the way to the reporting area I regain my composure and realize that while half of the crowd wants to carry me on their shoulders in a celebration of joy, the other half wants to go after me with pitchforks and torches.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jun 29, 2021 at 03:15pm.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2021, 12:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I, Robot (Isaac Asimov, 1950) ...

Quote:
... one has to admit that his signal ... is as smooth as silk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There is an art and a science to what we do ...
I've been to a lot of rodeos, and over the many years I've noted that high school basketball officiating has become more and more of a science, and less and less of an art.

In a lot of ways that's a good thing. Over the past forty years high school basketball officiating has very much improved, mainly because the teaching of high school basketball officiating has very much improved, especially with the use of technology (video).

But I agree with JRutledge regarding basketball officials becoming a bunch of robots. Officiating should leave some room for different personalities and mannerisms.

However, regarding such seemingly insignificant things as fist/open hands, finger point/open palm point, etc., it's important that rookies get off to a good start and are initially taught the "correct way" by instructors, maybe with a few reminders from mentors during early career observations (fix it early, it is difficult to teach old dogs new tricks, thus my fist blocks), but always noting that these are minor issues compared to the stuff that really matters, stuff like calling and managing the game, and being a good partner.

If an instructor has three choices, the right way, the wrong way, or don't teach either way, why would an instructor chose anything but the right way?

Who is the best to work a state final? JRutledge with fist blocks and finger points? Or the exact same JRutledge but with open hand blocks and open palm points? Who will be the best role model for young officials who are looking for a top notch official to emulate?

Who is the best to work a state final? An official who can quote verbatim all the rules, mechanics, and signals but doesn't know if the basketball is stuffed, or inflated? Or an official, maybe with some warts, who actually knows the game, and can call and manage a game, any game, no matter how difficult, getting almost all, if not all, of the calls right, and who is a good partner?

Yes Mr. Barkley, I agree that you may not be a role model, and that you shouldn't have to be a role model, but just because you say it doesn't mean that some won't still view you as a role model, so please try to be your best as much as possible. It is what it is, a tough yoke to bear. With great privilege comes great responsibility.

I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called. (Ephesians 4:1)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jun 29, 2021 at 02:51pm.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2021, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

End of soapbox.

Peace
I'm just sad that you posted a meme with your semi-rant. Next thing we know, you'll be replying to yourself to post the meme.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2021, 03:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
I'm just sad that you posted a meme with your semi-rant. Next thing we know, you'll be replying to yourself to post the meme.
I should have shown me jumping off the box. But that would have been much (I hope I did not......). Gotta go!!!

Peace
Old Tue Jun 29, 2021, 04:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
But I agree with JRutledge regarding basketball officials becoming a bunch of robots. Officiating should leave some room for different personalities and mannerisms.

However, regarding such seemingly insignificant things as fist/open hands, finger point/open palm point, etc., it's important that rookies get off to a good start and are initially taught the "correct way" by instructors, maybe with a few reminders from mentors during early career observations (fix it early, it is difficult to teach old dogs new tricks, thus my fist blocks), but always noting that these are minor issues compared to the stuff that really matters, stuff like calling and managing the game, and being a good partner.

If an instructor has three choices, the right way, the wrong way, or don't teach either way, why would an instructor chose anything but the right way?

Who is the best to work a state final? JRutledge with fist blocks and finger points? Or the exact same JRutledge but with open hand blocks and open palm points? Who will be the best role model for young officials who are looking for a top notch official to emulate?

Who is the best to work a state final? An official who can quote verbatim all the rules, mechanics, and signals but doesn't know if the basketball is stuffed, or inflated? Or an official, maybe with some warts, who actually knows the game, and can call and manage a game, any game, no matter how difficult, getting almost all, if not all, of the calls right, and who is a good partner?
Simple answer. The one that gets the plays right. I do not know anyone that cares about what your hand looks like if you cannot handle situations that come up in games and get plays right. That is what I have seen officials be judged ultimately on, not how straight your arm is or how many fingers you show compared to the diagram. I will tell you, I got there by being a good official and having the trust of many players. In my final game at the very last State Final that the IHSA held, there was a coach that did not say a word to me the entire game because he trusted the crew from past experience (and he lost). We had the winning coach who had the best player in the state on his team with 2 fouls early in that game. He ranted about how much "The best player in the state" was being treated and when he was finished on his rant during a timeout, I said to him, "Well I must have respect for you because I am over here while you are yelling at me." He said, "You are right and thank you" and we had no other issues the rest of the game. The best player in the state went on to get two more fouls and nearly fouled out during a run to get back in the game that they should have lost honestly. That was their second state title in two years and no one said a word to me about any conflict in that game. That interaction was caught on TV and no one even knew what took place.

There is more to what we do than how we signal we have to be the calm in the storm and many people are not capable to do that in those moments. My experience and understanding of the coach in that situation was an asset. And like it or not, that means more than how your hands look compared to the signal. Not tooting my horn, but that is what I learned by guys more experienced than me years ago before that opportunity. And again, the powers that be who could have pointed this out during the weekend, did not say a word. That should tell us all something.

If you also look at the Final Four and the officials that worked the Championship game, none of them have "textbook" mechanics on every situation. Not even close. And I work for one of them at the college level and we have those conversations as a staff.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 29, 2021, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

charge (PC foul)
Old Tue Jun 29, 2021, 06:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Walk And Chew Gum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Simple answer. The one that gets the plays right ... calm in the storm ... experience and understanding ...
In my hypothetical JRutledge questions, both versions of JRutledge got the plays right.

Why not an official that can do both, gets the plays right; and knows rules, mechanics, and signals? They're not mutually exclusive.

Granted, they're probably rare birds, but they do exist, I know because we have a few here in my little corner of Connecticut.

I 100% agree with JRutledge. As a coach looking for a good official to work my game, or as an official looking for a good partner, I would value an official that gets plays right, is calm in a storm, and has experience and understanding; over a rules, mechanics, and signals expert who doesn't know if the basketball is stuffed, or inflated.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jun 30, 2021 at 08:05am.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2021, 08:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

Signal hold for holds, hit for hits, block for blocks, push for pushes, etc. Strong signals with good posture. Present numbers shoulder height and shoulder width apart.

Do all that with a strong voice and no one will pay attention to your fingers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jun 30, 2021, 07:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

Motown ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Strong signals with good posture.
Trained a group of rookies several months ago. More than one kept bending over forward (almost a bow) while giving the travel signal. They looked like the were auditioning dance moves for the Temptations, or for Gladys Knight and the Pips.

I've seen this before. Where do they come up with these preconceived notions?

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jun 30, 2021 at 12:54pm.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2021, 09:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

Preconceived Notions ...

Quote:
Trained a group of rookies several months ago.
Many in the group initially started their foul reporting to the table with, "I've got ...", as in, "I've got red twenty-two with a push", or, "I've got a push on red twenty-two".

Observed the same thing the last time I served on this floor training committee many years ago.

Where do they come up with these preconceived notions?

Is this something that is only seen in here my little corner of Connecticut?

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jun 30, 2021 at 11:15am.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2021, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do not give a damn about an open hand vs. a fist....

I had an official/assignor call me about my directional signal. I tend to give "one finger" instead of the palm.
The only way I could see such trivia matter is if fists on hips meant one thing and palms on hips another, or pointing with a finger one thing and whole hand another. But that'd be as dumb as an organization having distinct terms "live" and "alive", and who'd be crazy enough to have it like that?
Old Wed Jun 30, 2021, 09:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

Dumb And Dumber (1994) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
But that'd be as dumb as an organization having distinct terms "live" and "alive", and who'd be crazy enough to have it like that?
My nomination for "Post O' The Month".