Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 14, 2021, 09:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With A Spin Move …

IAABO Make The Call Video

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...m%2BV7kw%3D%3D

Is this spin move legal? Did White #32 commit a traveling violation before jumping to attempt the try?

Two choices: This is a traveling violation. This is not a traveling violation.

My comment: This is a traveling violation. Ball handler White #32 ended his dribble and established his right foot as his pivot foot which he lifted and returned to the floor before the ball was released on his shot attempt.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jun 14, 2021, 11:08am
Do not give a damn!!

I am going to say something that might be controversial for some people.

Spin moves 9 times out of 10 are travels. They are travels because if the dribble is stopped, not very often that the pivot foot is not lifted and put back down. See this so much on video and this is to me a travel as well. But hard to call because they are spinning away or towards the official and you see the end of it or the beginning and can be hard to call. But spin moves like this are rarely done legally.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 14, 2021, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am going to say something that might be controversial for some people.

Spin moves 9 times out of 10 are travels. They are travels because if the dribble is stopped, not very often that the pivot foot is not lifted and put back down. See this so much on video and this is to me a travel as well. But hard to call because they are spinning away or towards the official and you see the end of it or the beginning and can be hard to call. But spin moves like this are rarely done legally.

Peace
Agree. If the foot that is down when the ball is picked up is moved, it is a travel. In this case, and many, the foot on which they spin is the final plant foot for the shot (in a new location) which makes it a travel.

If the foot they're spinning on ends up somewhere else, it is 99%+ odds it is a travel. On a fumble of he ball is the exception. It is 100% impossible to spin the ball from one side of your body to the other without ending the dribble....the ball has come to rest in the hand in doing so.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2021, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

This is a travel and as Jeff commented, most spin moves ARE a travel violation. I am tired of being 'That Guy' who calls the violation. Officials comment back to me with 'Let is go' or 'it's an athletic move'.
To me, Traveling Violations are harder to call. So many things going on. Thus we tend to call a violation when there is not one. Or as in this video, not call a violation when it does occur. I have to be close to 100% sure before I apply this penalty.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2021, 02:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Hard for two man crew to see that travel unless the Lead widens all the way out.

A Trail official, who is supposed to referee the feet of a post player anyway, would have easily seen that travel.

On a nostalgic note, that's the high school in the town I lived in from 3rd to 5th grade while Bill Cartwright was playing basketball at Elk Grove High School in the same county.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Jun 17, 2021 at 10:43am.
Old Mon Jun 14, 2021, 03:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Danger Zone (Kenny Loggins, 1986) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
On a nostalgic note, that's the high school in the town I lived in from 3rd to 5th grade ...
Next time you're back in town please tell the videographer that BillyMac said that the should stay off the endline under the basket.

This guy is an equal opportunity hazard, setting up on both ends of the court.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...VXNosVWA%3D%3D
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jun 14, 2021 at 05:51pm.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2021, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

In football we call it a figure 8 turn. However, it is possible to complete the spin , and shoot without putting the second foot down. The trick is to back-spin first on your dominant (shooting-hand) foot, then put the other foot down while kicking the dominant foot around and springing off the non-dominant foot while shooting before the dominant foot goes on the floor again.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2021, 09:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: For IAABO eyes only. Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO International interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...m%2BV7kw%3D%3D

IAABO Play Commentary Correct Answer: This is a traveling violation.

When White #32 ends his dribble, he has his back to the basket with his right foot in contact with the floor. The right foot becomes the pivot foot when his left foot touches in a step. (4-44-2b.1) After he steps with the left foot, he lifts the right foot (the pivot foot) and places it back to the floor as he turns to face the basket to attempt the try. This is a traveling violation. (4-44-3a)

The fact that nearly 35% of respondents view this as a legal play shows this is a growth area for our membership. Complicating matters, the move is a very smooth and athletic play that isn't enforced consistently at higher levels. Some rules codes (NBA, FIBA) have even gone to a "zero step," which legalizes the move. So many players, coaches, and fans will not understand why it is illegal at the high school level. We need to continue to learn how to identify the pivot foot and penalize accordingly when it is lifted and placed back to the floor before a try is attempted.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is a traveling violation 65% (including me). This is not a traveling violation 35%.