The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 20, 2021, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

NBA illegal screens LA v GS

I'm curious what the refs here thought of the two illegal screen calls on Draymond Green last night. Warriors fans all over the place are moaning about them being evidence of a conspiracy (along with the charge called against Wiggins).

I'm admittedly a bit biased, but all three of those calls looked right to me. (The first screen and the charge seemed like easy calls to me, with the second illegal screen closer but still a foul.)
Old Thu May 20, 2021, 02:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Video of this maybe? Without context it is very hard to find.

Peace
Old Thu May 20, 2021, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
I'm curious what the refs here thought of the two illegal screen calls on Draymond Green last night. Warriors fans all over the place are moaning about them being evidence of a conspiracy (along with the charge called against Wiggins).

I'm admittedly a bit biased, but all three of those calls looked right to me. (The first screen and the charge seemed like easy calls to me, with the second illegal screen closer but still a foul.)
*I'm a high-school level ref, thus I am at a total loss as to what constitutes an "illegal screen" when it comes to NBA type games. For ''illegal screening action" my NF level radar is geared to look for: 1) hip bump movement outside of the normal area by the Screener as the guard is attempting to move around the screen and 2) slight foot shuffle movement by the Screener so that their body is being placed into path of guarding player as they are attempting to negotiate the Screen (i.e., not being stationary). Since both of these type of actions seem to be allowable in the NBA games, I am therefore clueless as to exactly what constitutes illegal screening action at the NBA level.

*Now regarding the charge on Wig, I would also call that in my NF games. However, I was happy to see that they rescinded the call for charge when Lebron tried to take a charge. Small wonder that at the NF level we can't "change our minds" on such calls like they do in NBA [not sure about NCAA if they can change a charge call tho]. We NF level refs really have to be "right the first time" when making such adjudications.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Thu May 20, 2021 at 03:20pm. Reason: grammar
Old Thu May 20, 2021, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Video of this maybe? Without context it is very hard to find.

Peace
The two screens are in this story--the title tells you what the author thinks to some degree.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ould-hate-that

(Some of the content of the article is pretty silly, like the suggestion that the refs only reviewed Green's two hands to Lebron's face on a shot for whether it was flagrant because LBJ rolled on the ground--any shot like that to the face gets reviewed in the NBA, and I think a lot of people complaining have no clue what it is like to get poked in the eye with force like that.)
Old Thu May 20, 2021, 03:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

1st illegal screen on AD was way too easy to call.

2nd one is a little more debatable but it appears first contact is with Green's knee, which is definitely outside of his natural cylinder.
Old Fri May 21, 2021, 09:41am
Do not give a damn!!

The first play was easy. That is an illegal screen at all levels.

The second play is mainly an illegal screen if you deem that DG is outside of his frame. But to me, I have no issue with either call. Context would also help if they had other illegal screens throughout the game or before. And what was called on other screens after each of these?

Peace
Old Sat May 22, 2021, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

LOL! The NBA has been allowing illegal screening for years without penalty. It is a joke. I don’t even bother to watch this league anymore. It is all about the entertainment $. The balance between offense and defense has been perverted by the NBA to grossly favor the offense under a mindset that increased scoring sells tickets and increases viewership.
Old Sun May 23, 2021, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Ref mis-anticipated the call

Please check 8:25 mark, 4th qtr, La v. Phx where defender maintained his legal vertically defending the airborne shooter; unfortunately, it was his unorthodox landing (i.e., on 1 foot) that gave the ref the illusion of a foul.
Were I to have encountered this type of play in my NF games, I hasten to say that I'd have been similarly persuaded.
Old Sun May 23, 2021, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
LOL! The balance between offense and defense has been perverted by the NBA to grossly favor the offense under a mindset that increased scoring sells tickets and increases viewership.
*And it's pretty much worked.
Old Sun May 23, 2021, 06:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Please check 8:25 mark, 4th qtr, La v. Phx where defender maintained his legal vertically defending the airborne shooter; unfortunately, it was his unorthodox landing (i.e., on 1 foot) that gave the ref the illusion of a foul.

Were I to have encountered this type of play in my NF games, I hasten to say that I'd have been similarly persuaded.
The illusion was caused by the official being out of position. He didn't step down towards the 28' line so he could officiate the defender. He was straight-lined and guessed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Tue May 25, 2021, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Raymond;1043453]The illusion was caused by the official being out of position. He didn't step down towards the 28' line so he could officiate the defender. He was straight-lined and guessed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

*Shrewd analysis indeed: Now that is rather straight forward saying that he "guessed"; however, I believe you are right Raymond.
Old Tue May 25, 2021, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
*And it's pretty much worked.
Why do you say that? I'm interested in officiating at the highest level possible, and I'm curious to know why you don't consider the NBA legitimate basketball.
Old Thu May 27, 2021, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Why do you say that? I'm interested in officiating at the highest level possible, and I'm curious to know why you don't consider the NBA legitimate basketball.
*NBA is legitimate Basketball; however, I was agreeing with the OP (Nevadaref) who bemoaned the inconsistencies between pre-professional Basketball vs. Professional basketball.
I applaud your goal to be a NBA ref; Godspeed to you Iyazhito! See you on tv soon.
Old Thu May 27, 2021, 12:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Business ...

Quote:
NBA is legitimate Basketball ...
I'm sure that we can all agree that amateur basketball (high school, college) is entertaining, but the entertainment value is secondary to the the main purpose of amateur basketball, as a sport. Amateur basketball, especially high school amateur basketball, is not a business.

Whereas in professional basketball, both entertainment and sport are equally paramount. Professional basketball is, foremost, a business, an entertainment business that happens to involve a sport.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri May 28, 2021, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

That makes more sense. I understand why the NBA might want to favor offense. However, I don't. I prefer to not penalize the defense if I don't have to.