The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 02, 2021, 04:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With A Screen Switch ...

IAABO Make The Call Video

Was this contact properly ruled a blocking foul? Did defender obtain legal guarding position? Did dribbler get head and shoulders by the defender?

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...NuXcgMVA%3D%3D

Three choices: This is a player control foul. This is a blocking foul. This is incidental contact (no foul).

My comment: Tough call. This is a blocking foul. Defender Black #11 was moving to her right when she illegally contacted ball handler White #33.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Apr 02, 2021, 05:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

I don't think the defender ever established a legal guarding position before the collision.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Fri Apr 02, 2021, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I don't think the defender ever established a legal guarding position before the collision.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Agreed.

Separately, there's a camera man in the FTLE.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2021, 10:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

Non-Playing Personnel ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
Separately, there's a camera man in the FTLE.
Keen eye Mike Goodwin.

1-2-: Non-playing personnel must be located outside the free-throw lane lines extended toward the sidelines throughout the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
How far back does a cheerleader, photographer (standing in this video), police officer, security guard, school administrator, parent, kid with a sweat mop, or fan have to be to comply with this safety rule? (Note that the drums are in a legal position.)
How far back video: https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...EEXlMZRw%3D%3D
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Apr 03, 2021 at 12:41pm.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2021, 02:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have a PC foul all the way.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 08, 2021, 09:08am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: For IAABO eyes only. Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...NuXcgMVA%3D%3D

IAABO Play Commentary: Correct Answer: This is a player control foul.

The most important aspect of this play is understanding the principles involved in making this ruling. In reading through the comments, whether people thought this was a blocking foul or a player control foul, most people agreed that the key to the play was whether or not the defender could get her right foot to the floor to obtain a legal guarding position. (4-23-2a) That is the most important aspect of this clip and very good to see. Going frame by frame, it appears the second foot is placed on the floor just before the displacement occurs. (But it is extremely close!!) Keeping in mind, defensive players do not need to give a player with the ball any time or distance to avoid contact, if the defender got the foot to the floor, this would be a player control foul.

It is important to note because there was displacement involved, a foul has occurred, and there needs to be a whistle on this play. A legendary IAABO Clinician once said when you see an offensive player contact a defender in the torso, if you give the benefit of the doubt to the defensive player, you will be right 90% of the time. Probably good advice. Again, we can debate the legality of the defender on this play, but as long as you understand the main principle of making this ruling, the clip is beneficial.

The Lead official doesn't have a great view of the play. If he had made a position adjustment to his right toward the sideline, it would have been a better angle, but two players in that area may have obstructed his view. But when you watch the play, does the Lead official look "engaged" in the action, or is his approach to the play sort of casual? He appears to have chosen a single "spot" on the endline and did not seem prepared to make position adjustments as the ball moved around the perimeter. These are the types of things observers notice when watching officials. If you aspire to move up to higher levels, be cognizant of how your body language and positioning can look outside observers. Food for thought.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is a blocking foul 53% (including me). This is a player control foul 44%. This is incidental contact (no foul) 2%.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 11, 2021 at 01:01pm.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2021, 10:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Torso Rule Of Thumb ...

Quote:
Going frame by frame, it appears the second foot is placed on the floor just before the displacement occurs. (But it is extremely close!!)
I went back and watched the video at 1/4 speed (only available to IAABO members). It's as close as close can be. Second foot may have contacted the floor at the exact same time (give or take a millisecond) as the initial contact.

Not sure why IAABO talks about the "displacement" and not the initial contact, displacement follows the initial contact (also by milliseconds). Something Isaac Newton may have discovered (my high school physics teacher, baseball coach, and basketball coach, Mr. Letize, would be very disappointed in me).

Quote:
It is important to note because there was displacement involved, a foul has occurred, and there needs to be a whistle on this play. A legendary IAABO Clinician once said when you see an offensive player contact a defender in the torso, if you give the benefit of the doubt to the defensive player, you will be right 90% of the time. Probably good advice.
Since we have to put a whistle on this, and it's too close to call using the actual legal guarding position rule, I guess it's best to use the "legendary IAABO clinician torso rule of thumb" and go with a player control foul here.

Nice call JRutledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have a PC foul all the way.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Apr 08, 2021 at 10:41am.